How do our depleted troops match up with L'ville? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do our depleted troops match up with L'ville?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If UConn loses by double figures to the Louisville team I saw today, they don't need to be thinking about winning the BE title or a NC. If they can't get it together after a week of practice, we are in for a very disappointing season. I thought Louisville was better than what I saw today.
Like everyone else they've been inconsistent. Absolutely destroyed Michigan, looked much better in that game than they did against Kentucky today (or Arizona earlier in the season).

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Like everyone else they've been inconsistent. Absolutely destroyed Michigan, looked much better in that game than they did against Kentucky today (or Arizona earlier in the season).
Yeah, I agree. I feel much better about UConn's chances after this weekend than I did two days ago.

Reaction Score
Louisville fan here. I look for a game in the 60s. Louisville has played good-to-great defense all season but is prone to offensive dry spells. There is no reliable go-to scorer who can get you 20 when you need it. And UConn always plays great defense.

UK is not a big team and Walz played a small lineup most of the second half today - no Dixon or Cochran. I don't think that lineup wins against a Top Ten team. Edwards had a 14-14 game for the Wildcats.

I knew that Engstler was good based on her games against us while she was at Syracuse, but she's even better than I thought. She plays hard on every play, at both ends of the floor. She's fun to watch.

If the game were here in Louisville I'd say 65-62 Cardinals, but with the game in Connecticut I'll flip that and say 65-62 UConn.

Reaction Score
she's very talented but incredibly inconsistent.......she could be great one half and then make 2-3 bonehead plays and disappear for the rest of the game........
That is not a good team for Emily, Jeff's offense is concentrated in the guards. This year they don' t have a great lead guard. VanLief is a shooter, but handles the ball way too much.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I don't like saying this, but the way things are going, I can not see UCONN beating Louisville. They have to take the best parts of their UCLA victory, and show those plays consistently throughout the game. I don't think they can do that...........yet.

Reaction Score
I don't like saying this, but the way things are going, I can not see UCONN beating Louisville. They have to take the best parts of their UCLA victory, and show those plays consistently throughout the game. I don't think they can do that...........yet.
Louisville has a very bad offense. Every game for them against halfway decent teams is going to be a problem. If they run into a team that can make shots they will get blown out.

Reaction Score
Its a home game. UConn should be able to keep it close. If not, this team is really in trouble in terms of making another Title run.

Reaction Score
The only consistent thing I can expect from the players, is not to be consistent. So, it’s a matter of who shows up. First, E and CW started the season on fire. Now they have seem to sizzle, granted E had a solid game against UCLA. CD and Dorka had great games recently but I’m not expecting them to duplicate that consistently. Louisville will win by double digits.

The only player I can count on to bring something is Liv. Had you told me that before the season started, I would have called you crazy. She’s not going to light up the board scoring, but she will be the defensive presence that CW was last year.
I agree about Liv! She is a different player since Paige got hurt. Also agree about expectations for Dorka. I sure hope we consistently see the same kind of effort she gave in the UCLA game but am going to wait and see. Whether we beat Louisville or not is going to depend largely imo, on how we play. If we play well, I don’t think Louisville can win. Will we? Let’s just say it’s not a game I’d bet the rent money on! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
If UConn loses by double figures to the Louisville team I saw today, they don't need to be thinking about winning the BE title or a NC. If they can't get it together after a week of practice, we are in for a very disappointing season. I thought Louisville was better than what I saw today.
That is the problem with early season games. With very few exceptions, every team is having major fluctuations from game to game. The only two teams I’ve seen play fairly consistently this year are South Carolina and Arizona and even they had issues today in close wins. (I was very impressed with Maryland, who came very close to upsetting SC on their home court) I think this game (Lou. Vs UConn) is basically a toss up! I have to go with UConn of course, but I wouldn’t bet a lot either way. However, I don’t think a win or a loss will have much significance as to where either team ends up in March.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Louisville has a very bad offense. Every game for them against halfway decent teams is going to be a problem. If they run into a team that can make shots they will get blown out.
So, are any of Arizona, Michigan and Kentucky not even halfway decent? Louisville is 2-1 against those 3, with an OT loss and a blowout win.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is also finals week for UCONN, traditionally the games around finals week and coming into and out of a Christmas break involve some struggle.

Reaction Score
This is also finals week for UCONN, traditionally the games around finals week and coming into and out of a Christmas break involve some struggle.
Finals week for Louisville also. I'm impressed by the way that WBB players at the highest level balance academics and basketball. Unlike high-level MBB, most WBB players get degrees in four (or sometimes five) years, and those degrees are often in areas that would challenge a student not dealing with the demands of big-time basketball.

Reaction Score
Van Lith drives constantly. Penetrates constantly. I think the match ups are pretty good for us. It sure would help for us to make some 3 pointers but I think we can. That would open up the inside game a lot, which is where the game is probably decided if we are going to win. We should dominate the paint against almost every team. Dorka getting at least 25 minutes PT is key to that but we have plenty of depth to throw bodies at them inside. Including some Deberrry. It's a home game for us which should give us a little edge. I think it's a 5 point win.
Good assessment. I have seen Louisville play 3 times on TV this year and they are very good, but beatable, not just by UConn but any Top 50 team. Streaky twith average offense and tenancious defense. Van Lith seems to be driving alot because her 3 pointer is not going in. Suspect she could be the key since whoever she guards should be able to take her inside for high % shots. CD against Van Lith would be an interesting match up. Evina should be able to shut down whoever Geno assigns her to. Edwards could also be a key since Louisville does not have anyone she shouldn't be able to overpower.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Finals week for Louisville also. I'm impressed by the way that WBB players at the highest level balance academics and basketball. Unlike high-level MBB, most WBB players get degrees in four (or sometimes five) years, and those degrees are often in areas that would challenge a student not dealing with the demands of big-time basketball.
I couldn't have said this better myself: "I'm impressed by the way that WBB players at the highest level balance academics and basketball." Extremely proud of these ladies that have the ability to navigate high level basketball and academics.

Reaction Score
I like our chances against Louisville. The more our squad gets to practice together and understand their roles, I really believe that we can beat Louisville. In that Kentucky game yesterday, Louisville did not really impress me. In their match-up against Michigan a few weeks ago, Louisville looked really good. But in their game against Belmont, they looked slow, inconsistent, and pretty beatable. They ended up winning that game, but it was a struggle. I really think that with more practice reps and our players getting more comfortable with their roles, we can beat Louisville.

Reaction Score
That is not a good team for Emily, Jeff's offense is concentrated in the guards. This year they don' t have a great lead guard. VanLief is a shooter, but handles the ball way too much.
apparently, Syracuse wasn't a good fit for her either............frankly I think it's more about her own effort and willingness to stay focused than it is the team she's playing for.....

Reaction Score
Good assessment. I have seen Louisville play 3 times on TV this year and they are very good, but beatable, not just by UConn but any Top 50 team. Streaky with average offense and tenancious defense. Van Lith seems to be driving alot because her 3 pointer is not going in. Suspect she could be the key since whoever she guards should be able to take her inside for high % shots. CD against Van Lith would be an interesting match up. Evina should be able to shut down whoever Geno assigns her to. Edwards could also be a key since Louisville does not have anyone she shouldn't be able to overpower.
You defined Louisville perfectly in seven words.

Reactions: mmt

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Massey has UConn by 3 over Louisville.
Does the Massey rating take account of recent injuries, or is it just based on record, opponents, and margin of victory?

Reaction Score

Bit harsh.

Reaction Score
The one thing I like is that the team will have more time to practice w/o Paige than they did before GT and UCLA.
Amen!
They almost looked shell-shocked against GT.
No organization, no offensive plan....nada.
Saturday, against UCLA they woke up and realized they could still play and win without Paige.
Seems like Geno woke up, too.
When was the last time CD had to go out on the court and pull him back to the sideline?

Reaction Score
Fine. Will have a much needed week of practice to get things figured out without Paige.

Our starting line-up has 4 Top 5 recruits and a All Big-Ten player. With a player who played in the Olympics off the bench, and another Top 15 recruit if depth is needed. Talent hasn't disappeared.

Will be a close game, but I think this is a season-changing win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom