How Division 1 college basketball could change going forward | The Boneyard

How Division 1 college basketball could change going forward

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Based on comments made by Greg Sankey regarding championship access, comments made by the NABC about wanting college basketball to have more autonomy (similar to football), and Matt Brown's podcast referencing potential changes to the AQ status of the NCAA tournament, I will present three possible changes that I could see happening.

1) Division 1 basketball splits into 1-A and 1-AA like football. It will not be along football lines. If basketball is autonomous, it will be along basketball lines. 1-A will still have a 68-team March Madness with AQs for the leagues that make the cut. 1-AA will have the new 64-team NIT as its championship.

Leagues that have a good chance of making the cut:
ACC
Big East
Big 10
Big 12
Pac-12
SEC
AAC
Atlantic 10
Missouri Valley
Mountain West
WCC

League that could get in if it makes enough noise:
Ivy League

The last eight teams in the tournament would now be at-larges. Every conference champion would be guaranteed to play in the first round.

2) The NCAA introduces a merit system for AQs. Only the conference champions of the top 24 leagues get an auto bid. The other 8 league champs could still get in as at-larges. It would be based on the current years Sagarin or Massey conference rankings.

The current bottom 8 leagues are:
Ohio Valley
America East
Big South
Patriot
NEC
Southland
SWAC
MEAC

If this were to go through, I think you would see consolidation of leagues and certain programs that only joined Division 1 for the NCAA credits might rethink that decision.

3) The NCAA expands to the NCAA tournament to 96 teams to get more major conference teams in.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
F.
This.
Noise.

The tournament would be almost perfect if they replaced the 1/2 of the first four where 16-seeds play with 4 more at larges. Or, make them all 16s to spread a little more money around.

Perfection was 64.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman
Top Bottom