How did you become a UConn fan? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How did you become a UConn fan?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I went to Storrs in the mid-70s when soccer outdrew football, Hartwick was probably our biggest rival in any sport, and the big football game was vs Yale. It was the Hanson/Phelan era at the Fieldhouse. I went to a lot of hoops games vs ECAC fodder, but let's face it, soccer was much more fun as you could have kegs delivered to the pitch.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Born and raised in Poughkeepsie NY. We had a player who went FDR high school in Hyde Park, NY. He played four years for UConn. He was my introduction to UConn basketball.

Wes Bialosounknia - The Poughkeepsie Popper. Since I played ball, a lot of us in the area followed his career. Papers were always keeping us informed. Followed him during his yearsd with Oakland in the ABA.

Jump ahead to the early 90's with the teams of Corney Thompson. Then the move to the Big East. Been a fan since those early years. The wife and I are also avid fans of the UConn women.

Our three sons are avid UConn fans. #2 son went to UCOnn as did his wife. And the 4 grandsons are definitely UConn fans. Got to raise them right!!

Reaction Score
Listening to UConn games in the early-mid 80's on a transistor radio with earplugs headphones in my bed when I was supposed to be sleeping. Earl Kelley and Gerry Besselink were my guys. If you don't know what a great Husky Gerry Besselink was, read this. He made me a fan. A Canadian Husky long before Denham Brown. I'd love to see him around the school sometime. UCONN Hoop Legends: GERRY BESSELINK

Reaction Score
Born and raised in CT, fan of whalers and huskies since being young.. My older sister was a uconn student remember being on campus the 99 title game. Then myself being a student from 01 to 04 went to every game as a student. Though I'm on the west coast, follow the team religiously. Been to a dozen big east tourney games, sweet 16 and final four games. Bleed blue!

Reaction Score
As a 10 year old in '78 I was listening to a transistor radio under my pillow while a raspy voiced announcer was hissing things like "Corny lays it in" and "here we are at Curry Hicks Cage" and "Holy Cross is really buzzing now" over this constant static and hiss (which I supposed was fan noise). Anyway, that's when I first started following them, then my Dad drove us up for a few games a year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
College choice came down to Purdue and UConn. Chose UConn because I wanted to live in the northeast after college and I figured I would be able to stay in touch with friends from UConn a lot easier than friends from Purdue.

Reaction Score
Born and raised in The Hollow in Bridgeport in the 60s and 70s. I grew tired of the home grown talent leaving and I started rooting for the Huskies. I was pumped when Corny, McKay, committed.

Reaction Score

Jerk of a 4th grade teacher had a shockingly nice idea one day to wheel the TV into the class to watch the start of the UConn/Rider game. Thanks Dave/David (?) I recall the 77 to 36 beat down of Virgini earlier and watched games here and there but rider and on was where it took off.

Was hooked from there, Florida stung a week later though, freakin missed FT, still kind of remember it.

(Started as a basketball fan maybe two years earlier with MJ and the Bulls.)

Reaction Score
I actually grew up a St John’s fan. Loved Chris Mullen, Walter Berry and Louie C.

But then I went to UConn as an undergraduate starting in 1989. Dream Season locked me in for life. I always say UConn is the only team I’ve ever changed allegiance to, but I think being an alumni is a worthy reason.

Met my wife at UConn and my daughter recently graduated from there, so it’s been a big part of our lives

Reaction Score
I grew up in state in Litchfield County. Our family got the Waterbury Republican newspaper, and I used to see news about Tony Hanson while he was at Holy Cross. Then, when he want to Storrs, I would listen to UConn games on WTIC with him and Joey Whelton and later Jim Abromaitis. I was at Wamogo with Chuck Aleksinas, and by the time he transferred in, I was already a fan, but that cemented my loyalty.

I never would have imagined the decades of success that I've been able to enjoy since. What JC built and the school and DH have been able to reinvigorate is just amazing.

Reaction Score
CT born and raised
When I was young there were a bunch of Duke fans that were in my neighborhood and school. I watched the 99 final and just happened to be dropped off at the Waterbury mall with my brother about an hour before the team showed up and signed autographs. The entire mall (it was still new and had real shoppers) stopped and cheered them all the way to the signing. This is where I lucked out, without planning it; I received a full team signed championship T-shirt.

Also Jake Voshkul gave me a high five and actually talked to me a bit and at 12 years old he became one of my favorite Huskies ever.

Reaction Score
I grew up in state in Litchfield County. Our family got the Waterbury Republican newspaper, and I used to see news about Tony Hanson while he was at Holy Cross. Then, when he want to Storrs, I would listen to UConn games on WTIC with him and Joey Whelton and later Jim Abromaitis. I was at Wamogo with Chuck Aleksinas, and by the time he transferred in, I was already a fan, but that cemented my loyalty.

I never would have imagined the decades of success that I've been able to enjoy since. What JC built and the school and DH have been able to reinvigorate is just amazing.
Also grew up in Litchfield County and got all my news from the Republican American. My dad went to Holy Cross with Tony Hansen and UConn as well. Chucks son went to Wamogo with my little brother. UConn family was inevitable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Parents went to UConn. Oldest brother and sister went there too in the 70s. Talked about Tony Hanson, Earl Kelly Corny Thompson. Them JC showed up and everything was next level.

Reaction Score
I have been a UConn fan for as long as I can remember. I grew up in Guilford, CT and my grandmother lived one town over in Madison. She graduated from UConn which is where she met my grandfather who was enrolled in the Law School.

My grandmother and I bonded over UConn basketball. She would call me on game days and we would discuss the lines and bet each other in ice cream sundaes. I miss her for lots of reasons, but talking basketball, learning how to pick apart a gambling line, and victory ice creams are 3 of the best memories I have.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
My parent moved us to Connecticut right before my freshman year of high school from Long Island. Came in a St Johns fan, but then the dream season happened and I was hooked. Went to UConn and graduated in 96. Been a nutjob fan ever since.

Reaction Score
My parents were UConn students when I was born at Windham Hospital, so from birth I think? I knew I'd be going to Storrs as well, as many other family members did.

I remember listening to Husky games on the radio with my father, we have come a long way since then!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom