How did we look? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How did we look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we all see this, why doesn't the coaching staff? Our halfcourt execution on offense is dreadful....we should be running every single opportunity we get.
I mean, you're kidding right? The staff clearly sees it and we push it in transition more than we have in many years.

Our problem is that Rodney, the guy who is best at beating everyone down court, doesn't make the layup most of the time when he's fouled, and then usually makes 1 of 2 free throws. So we get 1 point out of a play that should have an expectation of somewhere between 2 and 3 points over the long term. Hamilton and Gibbs compound the problem by also not finishing plays at the rim at a high rate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean, you're kidding right? The staff clearly sees it and we push it in transition more than we have in many years.

Our problem is that Rodney, the guy who is best at beating everyone down court, doesn't make the layup most of the time when he's fouled, and then usually makes 1 of 2 free throws. So we get 1 point out of a play that should have an expectation of somewhere between 2 and 3 points over the long term. Hamilton and Gibbs compound the problem by also not finishing plays at the rim at a high rate.

That's not completely accurate. We're currently 232nd in the country in tempo. We're more or less in line with where Ollie's teams typically are. 305th last year, 263rd in 2014, 194th in 2013.

It's true that we haven't really run in the last 5-6 years(2009 is the only year where we were in the top 100 in tempo), but we're not doing anything differently this year, and it's kind of alarming.

It's hard to get on this year's defense for anything considering how good they been, but if we can force more turnovers that would very welcome and allow us to start the break more. We saw it a little bit with UCF.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Any time you keep a team to 34 points below their season average this far into the season, its a better than solid defensive performance. I don't care who the opponent is.

Reaction Score
That's not completely accurate. We're currently 232nd in the country in tempo. We're more or less in line with where Ollie's teams typically are. 305th last year, 263rd in 2014, 194th in 2013.

It's true that we haven't really run in the last 5-6 years(2009 is the only year where we were in the top 100 in tempo), but we're not doing anything differently this year, and it's kind of alarming.

It's hard to get on this year's defense for anything considering how good they been, but if we can force more turnovers that would very welcome and allow us to start the break more. We saw it a little bit with UCF.
We're low in tempo because that is based upon number of possessions in a game, and a high percentage of the time when we don't get something in transition, we use the majority of the shot clock because of our poor half court offense.

It doesn't change the fact that this team is constantly trying to score in transiton.

Reaction Score
We're low in tempo because that is based upon number of possessions in a game, and a high percentage of the time when we don't get something in transition, we use the majority of the shot clock because of our poor half court offense.

It doesn't change the fact that this team is constantly trying to score in transiton.

If that were true we'd be seeing a difference in our relative tempo ranking compared to other years, unless you're saying that we use more of the shot clock this year compared to past years, which I don't agree with. I think it's been pretty similar to the Boat and Bazz era.

Reaction Score
If that were true we'd be seeing a difference in our relative tempo ranking compared to other years, unless you're saying that we use more of the shot clock this year compared to past years, which I don't agree with. I think it's been pretty similar to the Boat and Bazz era.
I would not say it's pretty similar to the Boat and Bazz era.

Reaction Score
Auror,
You don't think our guards have improved tremendously on defense?

I think they've been good the whole time (especially Purvis and Adams). Gibbs has been better than he was and Adams has gotten more playing time, so as a unit they've improved even from being really good to great.

Reaction Score

It's probably partially new rules, but we use the least amount of offensive shot clock (both absolute and relative to the rest of college basketball) of the Ollie era this year. Our defense is holding opponents to really long possessions, so we're at about the same overall tempo as most Ollie years. But we're playing quicker on offense.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think they've been good the whole time (especially Purvis and Adams). Gibbs has been better than he was and Adams has gotten more playing time, so as a unit they've improved even from being really good to great.

I think Hamilton and Gibbs improved drastically. And that Adams became much more consistent. When Amida went down and wasn't there to stop the guards who went by our guards, our defense was pretty bad. They did a great job. Last game they were awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom