How did we look? | The Boneyard

How did we look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From the boxscore it looks like Jalen had a very nice game, he scored rebounded and got assists with no turnovers. Hamilton didn't shoot much but made over 50%. Did Hamilton look more comfortable with Brimah out there, did we look like an improved team with the big fella? How bad is UCF?

Reaction Score
Offense was as mediocre as ever for the most part outside of some transition baskets. Defense was very good, although it is UCF.

Brimah looked good. Only had 1 block I think but he was pretty effective overall.

I wish we would make an effort to run a lot more. We go stretches where we break out a lot and then we get really slow and stale. We're obviously a very flawed team but I still like a lot of the pieces.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Other than the seemingly guaranteed offensive struggle in the 2nd half, one of the best if not the best defensive performance this year. Jalen looked more comfortable and attacked the hoop. Omar looked good off the bench very balanced scoring even with only two in double figures, Miller was Miller and yes Hamilton looked more than comfortable with Brimah back in the lineup. Was it coincidence he shot 4/7 the game he comes back? UCF shot 23.5% and over 30 points under their season average on their home floor and as Tcf15 (I believe) mentioned hadn't lost by more than 20 this year. Looking forward to Thursday to see if the defense continues and the offense can play 2 halves as well as Dham looking more comfortable on O with Brimah back.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt, we were a better team today with Brimah. Lets be honest, UCF is not good but its not like they are on the same level as CCSU. Central Florida isnt terrible offensively. They put up 73 at SMU and 86 vs Memphis, both were losses but they can definitely score the ball. So far our defense has been very consistent. The offense needs to get going.

Reaction Score
Thought it was our best defensive performance all year.

Offense had two stretches of awfulness, not sure why KO mixed in Cassel in the 1st half, we took a nose dive offensively around this point, and for a solid 7 or so min stretch in the 2nd half.

Adams played very well. Brimah did well for his 1st game back.

Reaction Score
I don't have the +\- numbers from today, but when Brimah and Adams were on the floor, we played fantastic ball. UCF could barely get a shot off at times.

Reaction Score
Run, run, run. This is a different team when the game speeds up. Team made an effort to score in transition and really never gave UCF a chance to get back in it. No question that defensively Brimah's presence makes a world of difference. At full strength, things just seemed to flow better today. From effort, to ball movement, to the play of guys like DHam, Purvis, and Adams. Overall, good effort vs weak team. Still, plenty good to build on towards hopefully a sustained run in February. There is absolutely no reason this team should not get in to the dance. Way too much talent.

Reaction Score
Seems like the defense is on the verge of becoming special, just wish we could figure it out on the offensive end. I think if you asked a lot of us at the beginning of the season it would have been the reverse with us worrying about the defense and not having concerns with the offense.

Reaction Score
Seems like the defense is on the verge of becoming special, just wish we could figure it out on the offensive end. I think if you asked a lot of us at the beginning of the season it would have been the reverse with us worrying about the defense and not having concerns with the offense.

I think we're making some headway offensively. Honestly, when Brimah went down, the offense was pretty respectable (I forget where exactly they were ranked, maybe 50th or so).

Brimah is a useful offensive player, but that's in a vacuum. For us, he's arguably a transformative offensive player if for no other reason than that Nolan is so bad on that end. As a result, the difference between Brimah and Nolan may constitute the difference between an incompetent offense and a passable one. I don't think it's a coincidence that, in Brimah's first game back, we had one of our better shooting performances in a while (46% from the field, granted against a bad defense).

I don't say this to slam Nolan. He's a valuable spare part who is going to help us win a game once in a while - defensively, he does certain things that Brimah and Facey don't do, and if the match-up dictates he gets more minutes, he should. He's earned that much.

The chasm in the on/off splits with him on the court are hard to ignore, though, and that's not just based on this season. It's last season, too. When he's not in there, the ball reverses sides with more fluidity because defenders have to pinch down from the weak side on Brimah rolls.
The challenge lies in improving the offense while maintaining the defensive efficiency that we reached with Nolan getting minutes. If we can do that, I'll take my chances against anybody, sans maybe UNC, on a neutral court. Today was a good step in that direction.

Reaction Score
It was UCF so keep that context in mind. But it was a good game, Jalen gained confidence, Amida battled the monsters and won, he did not foul either, defense was outstanding, and we maintained a comfortable and large margin throughout the game. That was a huge statement in that we closed out with authority.

Offense was so-so, Ollie was still 'momentum killing' subbing, and players had a few too many unforced errors (its now February).

But it was a road win, a conference win and a won a game we were supposed to win. I'm satisfied.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I can't believe that it was such a short while ago that defense seemed our biggest problem. Hamilton, Gibbs and Adams have come a long way.
Today's defense was terrific. I'm sure it wont yield as many turnovers against better opponents. But it was great.
Our offense was good and fast for most of the first half and we sputtered more in the second. Encouraging game especially for Adams, Hamilton and Brimah. I think Ollie too.

Reaction Score
Adams no turnovers in 30 minutes tells it all (despite the anticipated return of the heart and soul to our team). Looked like a PG out there today. Got in the lane, showed off that nice floater he has in his arsenal a few times I believe, set the other guys up and most of all he got the transition game going which is a good good thing for us. He's a different player in the open court and when he's attacking.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Adams ability to get out in transition and finish at the rim really helped today.

Reaction Score
Adams is the eye opener today. Purvis and Gibbs can not get to the rim on shot clock expiring and are not good creating. The more Adams, the better we are going to be. Gibbs didn't shoot well but we want him shooting anyway.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If Adams plays like this in March, we can go on a deep run. He was awesome today. Hamilton shot over 50%, which doesn't surprise me at all. I expected him to bust out of his slump when Brimah came back. Factor those two points in, along with the elite defense we've played, and suddenly I'm very excited about the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
I think this was Adams' best to date.
Yep, it really looked like KO gave him the reigns to the offense and that really helped. Well at least until SG decided to become a ball hog in the 2nd half. LOL!

Reaction Score
Run, run, run. This is a different team when the game speeds up. Team made an effort to score in transition and really never gave UCF a chance to get back in it. No question that defensively Brimah's presence makes a world of difference. At full strength, things just seemed to flow better today. From effort, to ball movement, to the play of guys like DHam, Purvis, and Adams. Overall, good effort vs weak team. Still, plenty good to build on towards hopefully a sustained run in February. There is absolutely no reason this team should not get in to the dance. Way too much talent.
If we all see this, why doesn't the coaching staff? Our halfcourt execution on offense is dreadful....we should be running every single opportunity we get.

Reaction Score
In the 2nd half Hamilton made a quick move and got himself an open 12 footer which he drained. He can do this all day long. No spin move, no over penetration and leaving his feet looking to pass then shooting on the way down. Hope to see more of this. We still had 3 shot clock troubles in the second half. Facey should not be getting a pass at the top of the key with 10 seconds to go on the shot clock. Adams really played more confidently and it helped everyone. As for why we don't run more, other teams like Temple were making it a point to not let us run. Today we had the quicker team.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It looked like a scrimmage.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Transition basketball will make or break this basketball team.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that it was such a short while ago that defense seemed our biggest problem.

I posted to the contrary at the time (although we definitely did struggle to defend bigs at times with Brimah out), but defense is REALLY not our problem right now.

UConn is currently 4th in KenPom's adjusted defensive efficiency. That's on par with the '04 and '09 seasons. They're doing it in a somewhat surprising way, though. In the past, UConn's defense has been intimidating in the paint, but often overplayed 3s and funneled players into the bigs on drives. This year, UConn's giving up a lot of 3's but defending them very well. They're also doing a good job getting back in transition and forcing a lot of late bad shots.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Auror,
You don't think our guards have improved tremendously on defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom