How did UMass lose? | The Boneyard

How did UMass lose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was following the play by play and they somehow got to the Miami 5 down 1 with 12 seconds and completed a pass and had time run out on them.

Is the weather so bad they couldn't kick a chip shot FG?

Reaction Score
It is almost like Umass takes a sort of pride in being winless. With 5 seconds to go on the 10 they snap the ball and do a short roll out pass instead of kicking. They make the pass but they don't get out of bounds in time.... end of game.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?id=400548126

Reaction Score
Miami (OH) was winless as was Umass before this game. Next week the Umies face another winless team - Kent State. They really are creating new ways to lose each week.

Reaction Score
UMass needs to play being nice so schools will schedule them when they are independent.

Reaction Score
I'd take 0-5 if my team could even come close to scoring 42 points at halftime.

Reaction Score
Interesting that Umass scores 41 points in the first half then scoreless for the second. That must have been some 2nd quarter. Umass scores 27, MO scores 21, 48 points? that is an entire game usually.

Reaction Score
...maybe we shouldn't talk about losing games right now.... not exactly our best year to on bad teams

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
...maybe we shouldn't talk about losing games right now.... not exactly our best year to on bad teams

Did Stony Brook end up beating Towson? BTW I don't think anyone said anything bad about UMass in this thread.

Reaction Score
Did Stony Brook end up beating Towson? BTW I don't think anyone said anything bad about UMass in this thread.

Yes, Stony Brook stinked but luckily they figured out a way to win this Saturday. Its sad that the Offense its so bad. Our D has held up so well every game only to see our Offense fumble or get penalized on every attempt.

It really sucks that both of the teams I follow are hurting but I guess that life as a college football fan. Only hoping that Connecticut and SBU pick it up at their respective levels... I'm getting tired of being made a fool at work and everywhere else for following teams no else cares about

Reaction Score
I was following the play by play and they somehow got to the Miami 5 down 1 with 12 seconds and completed a pass and had time run out on them.

Whether justified or not, Whipple has absolutely no confidence in the field goal kicker. He missed a 22 yarder that would have beat Vanderbilt. He missed an extra point Saturday. I really have no problem with Whip's decision to go for a TD but I do have a problem with the way they did it. First down on the 5 with 5 seconds left. They got down the field before the chain gang did so the clock hadn't started. I think coaching 101 says to spike the ball and design a play. They didn't do that and threw a screen pinning the back on the 4 between a linebacker and the sideline. very poor decision. When asked, Whip said the play had worked earlier in the game. Maybe so when the defense was spread out. Not so much in a goal line stand defense.

Reaction Score
When asked, Whip said the play had worked earlier in the game. Maybe so when the defense was spread out. Not so much in a goal line stand defense.
You are saying UMass-Amherst's press is more inquisitive than UConn's press?!!?!

Reaction Score
You are saying UMass-Amherst's press is more inquisitive than UConn's press?!!?!

Actually Butch, it was surprising they asked the question. They have been treating Whipple like royalty up to this point and finally asked some tough questions. Basically just Dan Malone form Masslive, but still good to see they can do it.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score

I was at the game. UMass dominated the first half. Kickoff return for a TD put them up 20 with 5 min left in the 1st half.
Miami, shut them down and stopped turning it over in the 2nd. Managed to go ahead with about 1:45 left and then UMass did what UMass does.
Two bad teams trying to learn how to win. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on Miami. It should loosen em up.
BTW, both my kids graduated from Miami, so I go to games along with about 1500 other people. UConn is still #1 in my heart.

Reaction Score
UMAss blows a 27 point second half lead and folks are asking about the last play? When was the last time a team scored 41 points in a half, took a 4 td lead in to the locker room, got shut out in the second half, and lost?

I get that scoring is fun and we have not had fun in years, but losing is losing, so no I am not trading losses we have this year for tough losses to Miami, BG, and the dregs of the SEC and PAC12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am generally a pretty paranoid guy when it comes to point shaving, but holy cow. How does someone not investigate this game?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UMAss blows a 27 point second half lead and folks are asking about the last play? When was the last time a team scored 41 points in a half, took a 4 td lead in to the locker room, got shut out in the second half, and lost?

I get that scoring is fun and we have not had fun in years, but losing is losing, so no I am not trading losses we have this year for tough losses to Miami, BG, and the dregs of the SEC and PAC12.

I asked because the end made no sense. Was just curious how you get stopped inside the five and let time expire.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am generally a pretty paranoid guy when it comes to point shaving, but holy cow. How does someone not investigate this game?

UMass was getting 5.5/6. What would there be to investigate?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UMass was getting 5.5/6. What would there be to investigate?

That it was point shaving and UMass was supposed to cover and lose. Or someone picked up Miami (OH) on the moneyline at halftime. You would need a coach to be in on the scam, which would make it much less likely, but that game was about as crazy an outcome as I have ever seen. Any time you see a team deliberately do something completely insane at the end of the game to lose it, you should be at least a little suspicious.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That it was point shaving and UMass was supposed to cover and lose. Or someone picked up Miami (OH) on the moneyline at halftime. You would need a coach to be in on the scam, which would make it much less likely, but that game was about as crazy an outcome as I have ever seen. Any time you see a team deliberately do something completely insane at the end of the game to lose it, you should be at least a little suspicious.

Wow. Are you a 9/11 truther too?

Reaction Score
I'm not really buying the point shaving theory but that game still baffles me. Maybe it's just a case of a head coach thinking he is smarter than everyone else. There is absolutely no reason for a team like UMass to take their foot off the gas against anybody! They are just not that good. They were having success running the ball and should have run it down their throats in the second half. Miami switched from man defense to zone. It was obvious to everyone but Whipple that they were not going to have the same success in the air. But they kept trying to the tune of zero points and 2 interceptions.

Reaction Score
I'm not really buying the point shaving theory but that game still baffles me. Maybe it's just a case of a head coach thinking he is smarter than everyone else. There is absolutely no reason for a team like UMass to take their foot off the gas against anybody! They are just not that good. They were having success running the ball and should have run it down their throats in the second half. Miami switched from man defense to zone. It was obvious to everyone but Whipple that they were not going to have the same success in the air. But they kept trying to the tune of zero points and 2 interceptions.

Honestly if he has that much non faith in your kicker he better have the entire soccer team in for tryouts this week.

Reaction Score
Honestly if he has that much non faith in your kicker he better have the entire soccer team in for tryouts this week.

Have you seen the UMass soccer team? :) Seriously though, the kicker was lights out as a freshman. Something happened to his confidence and he is sometimes frustrating, but what Whipple did to him Saturday certainly isn't going to help him regain it.

Reaction Score
I asked because the end made no sense. Was just curious how you get stopped inside the five and let time expire.[/QUOTE

Fair q. I'm just curious how you blow a 27 point lead in 30 mins. I'm also curious how u score 41 points in one half and a goose egg in 2d.

Reaction Score
UMass has such little faith in their kicker. I honestly wonder why they didn't do the old, soccer team tryout thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom