How could they be so wrong? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How could they be so wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Every year can be different, and it is easy now to the after-that-fact prognosticators dumping on the ESPN experts for their picks. At the beginning of the tournament they mainly just had the #1 seeds picked for the FF, and that's how it worked out. Before the Elite 8, they split 3-3 on ND-MD, but maybe they just got the n and m keys confused. Last year everybody was saying that it would be the top 4-5 teams that would be battling for the NC, and instead two teams with a combined 11 losses were in the championship game. They were as wrong then as most of us were.

Now, as to them all picking initially against UConn in the FF and then changing to 5 of 6 after Rebecca wisened up, that does show an ignorant majority, and I will never read any article by Hayes, Voepel, Creme or the others ever again.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Kib we are on the same page. In my wildest dreams I dont see how anybody could pick MD to beat any of the one seeds. I read the articles and listened to the TV and couldnt beleive what I was hearing. One of the major reasons why some of the announcers dont know whats going on in WCBB is because they dont read the Boneyard. Most postes on here know whats going on. ESPN should hire the Boneyard????????????

Reaction Score
As a ND fan I was shocked at the predictions. Then nervous as all get out that they may know what they are talking about. I thought I knew what was up with MD all season. Then I researched their results after the predictions and confirmed that I DID know what was up with MD. This supposed post advantage didn't manifest itself in their weak schedule. I don't understand how the experts thought it would against ND. Yes, they out rebounded teams but it didn't really create a gap between them and those teams. Their calling card was a last second win over Duke on their home court. They got lucky and got a pass against the rest of the top ACC teams in the ACC tourney. Tight games against GA tech was their only other significant win. GA Tech didn't win a game against higher ranked competition all season.
At the same time ND has played everyone there is to play except for Stanford. They've seen teams with great post players. They were considered toast last year against UT because of their post play. Didn't work out that way. ND's guards were without a doubt better. Same goes for the coaching staff too. Even if MD's collection of posts was superior to ND's the best post player on both teams is Peters. MD and Frese allowed themselves to think they were ready when they have a history of the BE sending them packing. Louisville should have won @ MD in the 2nd round.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Remember, Kibs, that if the Huskies HAD gone 39-0 this year, as you and I were (I think) the only ones to predict, we would have been regarded as pretty much psychic. As it is.....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Kib we are on the same page. In my wildest dreams I dont see how anybody could pick MD to beat any of the one seeds. I read the articles and listened to the TV and couldnt beleive what I was hearing. One of the major reasons why some of the announcers dont know whats going on in WCBB is because they dont read the Boneyard. Most postes on here know whats going on. ESPN should hire the Boneyard????????????
I was with both of you Tony. I didn't believe it either.

Reaction Score
ND played a few awful, awful teams, but their schedule overall has been terrific, especially at the top. In fact, if you look at the Elite Eight teams versus one another heading into the regional finals you had:

• Notre Dame- UConn (x3), Baylor, Tennessee, Kentucky, Duke
  • UConn- Notre Dame (x3), Baylor, Duke, Stanford
  • Baylor- UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee
  • Stanford- UConn, Tennessee
  • Kentucky- Notre Dame, Duke, Tennessee (x2)
  • Duke- UConn, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Maryland (x2)
  • Tennessee- Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, Kentucky (x2)
  • Maryland- Duke (x2)
Maryland paid dearly for its mediocre OOC scheduling and was easily the least prepared for the level of competition it would face in the Elite Eight. Louisville and A&M, two markedly less good teams, gave them a scare.

The game with UConn in Hartford will be immensely beneficial to the Terps. next season.
If you call getting beat by 40 beneficial.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If you call getting beat by 40 beneficial.
UConn and Baylor will be on another level next year. Getting to the Final Four would be a good result for UMD and a step beyond where they've been since 2006. Playing a team like Uconn, even if it results in an early-season blowout, will show them their weaknesses and prepare them for regional play.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I don't understand this supposed "likelihood" that one #2 would knock off one of the #1 teams. The gap between the top 4 and everyone else was wide and constant all year. Put four thoroughbreds against four Clydesdales and the thoroughbreds win 'em all.

That's what happened, by double digits. Four times.

The odds are in favor of at least one surprise, generally speaking. Guess the commentators thought Maryland had the best chance. Or maybe they were directed to see about picking an upset to make the article more enticing to viewers/readers, rather than an article about the seeds holding true to form.

Send Voepel an email for her chat tomorrow. I am sure she will respond or at least address the issue.

JS

Reaction Score
Remember, Kibs, that if the Huskies HAD gone 39-0 this year, as you and I were (I think) the only ones to predict, we would have been regarded as pretty much psychic. As it is.....
As it is, you're regarded as pretty much psychos.

Still.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
As a ND fan I was shocked at the predictions. Then nervous as all get out that they may know what they are talking about. I thought I knew what was up with MD all season. Then I researched their results after the predictions and confirmed that I DID know what was up with MD. This supposed post advantage didn't manifest itself in their weak schedule. I don't understand how the experts thought it would against ND. Yes, they out rebounded teams but it didn't really create a gap between them and those teams. Their calling card was a last second win over Duke on their home court. They got lucky and got a pass against the rest of the top ACC teams in the ACC tourney. Tight games against GA tech was their only other significant win. GA Tech didn't win a game against higher ranked competition all season.
At the same time ND has played everyone there is to play except for Stanford. They've seen teams with great post players. They were considered toast last year against UT because of their post play. Didn't work out that way. ND's guards were without a doubt better. Same goes for the coaching staff too. Even if MD's collection of posts was superior to ND's the best post player on both teams is Peters. MD and Frese allowed themselves to think they were ready when they have a history of the BE sending them packing. Louisville should have won @ MD in the 2nd round.
Exactly. Why the "experts" could not be bothered to go through that kind of analysis, is one of the things wrong with WCBB. Listen to the guy experts on CBS and ESPN and compare their knowledge and ability to analyze with the their colleagues on the womens' side and the difference is appalling.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sorry for the confusion folks.
I meant-Rebecca to mean ...minus Rebecca, meaning she picked UCONN!
Hope this is clear as mud now.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My apologies to the entire bunch of yourselves.

You are legion. In Kib's case, American Legion.
Kudos, JS, well played.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
I don't think it's showing bias against Stanford to pick Baylor to beat Stanford, if that's what you mean. Baylor has been No. 1 most of the season and is unbeaten. Does that mean Stanford can't beat the Bears? Of course, not. They might do it. But picking doesn't mean anything. For whatever reason, media outlets pick games. I wish we didn't; I don't like doing it. But we do.

Mechelle Voepel, on having to make predictions/picks:
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/43160/ncaaw-with-mechelle-voepel

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
well, i admit to picking MD over ND in my bracket. Just wishful thinkin ... ;)

sadcat.jpg

I did too.... I wanted to win the Boneyard Bracket Contest...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom