How could they be so wrong? | The Boneyard

How could they be so wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As I understand it, a solid majority ot ESPN "experts" picked Maryland to beat Notre Dame.

Before sounding off, permit a personal disclaimer. My oldest daughter works for the University of Maryland (alumni relations), one grandson attends and another is transferring there. So family ties pulled me a little toward the Terps, even though I don't like Coach Frese.

I don't like Notre Dame and maybe it's because their fan base is at least as arrogant and obnoxious as we are (and with less justification). I find Novosel's home on the line annoying and I have been discomfited by Diggins's sartorial idiosyncracies.

But the Maryland team is inexperienced, untested, and overrated. And they play matador defense. Any perceptive viewer could see that.

On the other hand, Notre Dame is talented and tested in big game situations. McBride has emerged as an offensive threat, Mallory is a tough defender, and Achonwa has improved significantly. As for Novosel and Diggins, they are clutch players. Skylar, like her or not, is an All-American point guard. Novosel deserves second team AA honors. Only by playing our "A" game for 40 minutes did UConn beat them (third try) and will beat them again in Denver.

So how did those ESPN experts be so woefully mistaken when evaluating these two teams and then not anticipate the massacre we all witnessed last night?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
As I understand it, a solid majority ot ESPN "experts" picked Maryland to beat Notre Dame.

Before sounding off, permit a personal disclaimer. My oldest daughter works for the University of Maryland (alumni relations), one grandson attends and another is transferring there. So family ties pulled me a little toward the Terps, even though I don't like Coach Frese.

I don't like Notre Dame and maybe it's because their fan base is at least as arrogant and obnoxious as we are (and with less justification). I find Novosel's home on the line annoying and I have been discomfited by Diggins's sartorial idiosyncracies.

But the Maryland team is inexperienced, untested, and overrated. And they play matador defense. Any perceptive viewer could see that.

On the other hand, Notre Dame is talented and tested in big game situations. McBride has emerged as an offensive threat, Mallory is a tough defender, and Achonwa has improved significantly. As for Novosel and Diggins, they are clutch players. Skylar, like her or not, is an All-American point guard. Novosel deserves second team AA honors. Only by playing our "A" game for 40 minutes did UConn beat them (third try) and will beat them again in Denver.

So how did those ESPN experts be so woefully mistaken when evaluating these two teams and then not anticipate the massacre we all witnessed last night?

They are no longer experts, to say the least. Was one of them Stephanie White?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The caveat is, the question was , if there was going to be an upset, which #2 had the best chance. So, the experts had to pick someone.

I think that Kentucky had the best showing of any #2 team.

ETA: Just noticed that Duke outscored Stanford in the second half. Unfortunately, Duke dug a hole for itself in the first half.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Maybe the Debbie Antonelli influence? It is well known that she is a ridiculous ACC homer, but she took it way too far this year, picking the Terps to get to Denver.

By the way, I don't agree that Achonwa has improved all that much, but Maryland's inept post players have no idea how to defend or box out so she looked like an AA against them.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I had said in another thread that I just couldn't see how they could pick MD since ND was the regular season champion of the toughest conference in the country. How could they have discounted that fact and gone with MD? That defies the laws of logic.

Reaction Score
It was not Stephanie White, I don't think. I know Rebecca said flat out, four number ones hardly ever make it so she picked the #2 she felt most comfortable with.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
To stir up debate...they thrive on viewership and pageviews, and that's a way to get people talking...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
By the way, I don't agree that Achonwa has improved all that much, but Maryland's inept post players have no idea how to defend or box out so she looked like an AA against them.

I will concede the point about Achonwa, but I sure hope that this doesn't bite us both in the butt come Sunday. A factor that could come into play when UConn and ND meet yet again is the comparative performances of the backup centers -- Achonwa for ND and Stokes for UConn. Neither Stef nor Devereaux will play 40 minutes so their backups are important.

Reaction Score
... So how did those ESPN experts be so woefully mistaken when evaluating these two teams and then not anticipate the massacre we all witnessed last night?

It was worse than a "solid majority" - it was 5 out of 5, with Rebecca recusing herself because she was on the broadcast team for that game.

I'm tempted to say that 'mob psychology' explains this aberration. It made no sense to me, for the very reasons you stated. The desire of ananlysts to say something different from the obvious also contributes to this sort of thing.

Perhaps the biggest factor, though, was Maryland's pattern of dramatic comebacks. I saw that as a weakness, because that bad habit bites you in the ass when you're up against a good team that just won't let you climb back.

That's how the turtle became turtle soup.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Perhaps the commentators were influenced to pick an upset (a relative term, when discussing #1 vs. #2), figuring that it is likely that one #2 would win a game and that the Notre Dame-Maryland region would be the most likely one where it could happen.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Perhaps the commentators were influenced to pick an upset (a relative term, when discussing #1 vs. #2), figuring that it is likely that one #2 would win a game and that the Notre Dame-Maryland region would be the most likely one where it could happen.
That's my take. Picking all the one's is boring, they needed to do something else.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

I don't understand this supposed "likelihood" that one #2 would knock off one of the #1 teams. The gap between the top 4 and everyone else was wide and constant all year. Put four thoroughbreds against four Clydesdales and the thoroughbreds win 'em all.

That's what happened, by double digits. Four times.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting that Notre Dame was dissed by some talking and writing heads.
We certainly knew how potent they are.
They seem to not be making the same mistake again.
ESPN staff- Rebecca have picked the Irish to win against us.

Wrong again !

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Rebecca just giving the team bulletin board material so they can throw it back at her.

Reaction Score
Why would Samarie Walker be looking for revenge? It seems that the UConn players who were missing her playing skills in last year's NCAA Tournament would be the ones looking for revenge, and apparently they're not.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The way you make a rep as a prognosticator is to make as many outrageous and unlikely predictions as possible and then call attention to the few that actually turned out while ignoring the rest. You can bet that these predictions will not be something that these experts will be talking about much later on.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
ND played a few awful, awful teams, but their schedule overall has been terrific, especially at the top. In fact, if you look at the Elite Eight teams versus one another heading into the regional finals you had:

• Notre Dame- UConn (x3), Baylor, Tennessee, Kentucky, Duke
  • UConn- Notre Dame (x3), Baylor, Duke, Stanford
  • Baylor- UConn, Notre Dame, Tennessee
  • Stanford- UConn, Tennessee
  • Kentucky- Notre Dame, Duke, Tennessee (x2)
  • Duke- UConn, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Maryland (x2)
  • Tennessee- Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, Kentucky (x2)
  • Maryland- Duke (x2)
Maryland paid dearly for its mediocre OOC scheduling and was easily the least prepared for the level of competition it would face in the Elite Eight. Louisville and A&M, two markedly less good teams, gave them a scare.

The game with UConn in Hartford will be immensely beneficial to the Terps. next season.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Per this ESPN link Rebecca is choosing UConn over ND.

Now earlier this morning she also picked Stanford over Baylor and that's now changed so perhaps she changed her mind about who wins the UConn vs ND match-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom