How competitive have we been? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How competitive have we been?

Reaction Score
Is the goal to just win games or win championships... I say this because a coach can win a lot of games but never win a title... now do ppl get mad at him and want his head.. we have to be careful , just ask Tom crean his thoughts on this ... even Villanova had 1 seeds and been gone in the round of 32 ..

I want a coach who’s gonna bring a title home idc if we won 13 games or barely got in the field. A special coach excels in that kind of environment.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We know what we've been seeing. Two years of stinking to this degree is not a short time.
No s#!t. What I don't get is the litany of posts, day after day, pointing out the same things with most who posts acting stunned that things are this bad. Yes, things are this bad. You don't need to cry about it daily.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
There are still a few people out there who like to pretend it isn’t as bad as it looks and beating Coppin State is something to crow about. This kind of puts a pin in that theory.
Who crowed about beating Coppin State (or any other early season win)?

Reaction Score
No s#!t. What I don't get is the litany of posts, day after day, pointing out the same things with most who posts acting stunned that things are this bad. Yes, things are this bad. You don't need to cry about it daily.

This is a UConn fan forum.

I honestly don't know what other subject there is to discuss about the program other than what dire straights our coaching staff has put us in.

It's all fine and good to remember the good ol'days and talk about recruiting.

But, for the time being, all of that is simply whistling past the graveyard.

Reaction Score
No but I don't see what good it does anyone to behave as if nobody noticed how bad we have been until today.

I think some people believe the bad losses make things look worse than they really are - and that whether a loss is by one point or 30 points, it still only counts as one in the loss column. This makes it pretty clear that regardless of the point spread, UConn has been flat out bad no matter the spin, and things really are as bad as they appear.

Reaction Score
Is the goal to just win games or win championships... I say this because a coach can win a lot of games but never win a title... now do ppl get mad at him and want his head.. we have to be careful , just ask Tom crean his thoughts on this ... even Villanova had 1 seeds and been gone in the round of 32 ..

I want a coach who’s gonna bring a title home idc if we won 13 games or barely got in the field. A special coach excels in that kind of environment.

If you go 0-14 against the RPI Top 50, you're not going to get the opportunity to win championships.

Reaction Score
If you go 0-14 against the RPI Top 50, you're not going to get the opportunity to win championships.

It also does matter where you're seeded once you're in the tournament as well. UConn fan's perspectives have been warped (in a good way) by the fact that we've improbably (to an outsider's perspective) cut the nets down twice after being a low seed. That happens so very rarely that for us to have it happen twice is almost mind boggling.

Is the regular season the be all end all? Not even close. Does having a good regular season infinitely improve your chances of winning the tournament? Absolutely. Let's stop scoffing at the regular season and remarking on how little importance it is unless 1. we start actually doing well in the regular season or 2. we think we're going to catch that Storrs lightning in a bottle for the third time soon.

Reaction Score
Damn, if we miraculously get a bid this year we can't pack any bags. We be like the Montana Union Central College of the Tourney.

Reaction Score
This is a UConn fan forum.

I honestly don't know what other subject there is to discuss about the program other than what dire straights our coaching staff has put us in.

I think this hits the nail on the head. It’s obviously fun to discuss what went right after a big win. And if we come up just short in a big game, it’s possible to have an engaging debate about improvements for next time, what-ifs, individual plays, the refs’ outrageous call with 4 min to go, etc. etc.

When we lose 14 times in a row against Top 50 teams and none of those games is even close at the end, it sort of limits the range of discussion.

“One bad call and one tough bounce away from a win!” is the sort of post-game thread you might expect to see if we were at least competitive.

No one is starting a thread titled: “One bad call and one tough bounce away from only losing by 9!”

Reaction Score
I think this hits the nail on the head. It’s obviously fun to discuss what went right after a big win. And if we come up just short in a big game, it’s possible to have an engaging debate about improvements for next time, what-ifs, individual plays, the refs’ outrageous call with 4 min to go, etc. etc.

When we lose 14 times in a row against Top 50 teams and none of those games is even close at the end, it sort of limits the range of discussion.

“One bad call and one tough bounce away from a win!” is the sort of post-game thread you might expect to see if we were at least competitive.

No one is starting a thread titled: “One bad call and one tough bounce away from only losing by 9!”

Hey, thanks man.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
When we were good (and yes, we once were very good) we didn't have an insane number of threads speaking on how good we were.

Reaction Score
When we were good (and yes, we once were very good) we didn't have an insane number of threads speaking on how good we were.

Because nothing needs to be addressed when you're sitting on the throne

Reaction Score
The last time we beat a ranked team was years ago. That should tell you all you need to know.

People can try to spin things all they want, but it is what it is. I know there are a relative handful of guys on this site who still think KO can turn things around. Given that we haven't had a real good win in years, I just don't see it.

Reaction Score
Wow. That is bad. I'd be interested to see our record against 51-100 teams.

Good question - was interested as well so gathered the data on 51-100 and 101-200 over the past two seasons.

RPI 51-100: 11 games
The numbers are actually surprisingly decent against RPI 51-100 teams. We’re 7-4, with two wins by 10+ and two losses by 10+. Average point margin is 0.6 in our favor.

RPI 101-200: 12 games
Numbers aren’t great here. We’re 6-6 with just one win by 10+ and no losses by 10+. Average point margin is 0.3 in our favor. A good team should win the substantial majority of these games.

All RPI Top 200: 37 games
Record: 13-24
Wins by 10+: 3
Losses by 10+: 13
Average margin (of loss): -6

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You are reaching like crazy.
I'm reaching?

We have about a dozen crybabies who from all appearances wake up each morning and say to themselves "My God, our men's basketball team is terrible! I have to post this on the Boneyard.".

When, in this thread I pointed out how completely ridiculous this is someone posted that it is merely posting about what they see. I point out the hypocrisy of that statement and I'm reaching?

Get a life. Your well being won't be impacted if you cut down on your posts pointing out the obvious to about ten a day.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Man, @FfldCntyFan, I can get how you feel in some threads. But this is a thoughtful, quantitative analysis. This is a valuable thread that's different from most other threads because of its approach.

You can also ignore it if it's really making you itch :)

Reaction Score

Go back and look after we beat Oregon, there's thread after thread about how we were good again, even some from me! I believe I started a thread entitled "We're Competent!" or something like that (lol).

When we get good again (and I do believe we'll be good again) you're welcome to start as many positive threads as you wish, just as no one is forcing you to read threads like these.

Right now, you're just bizzarly being an Igor about everyone being an Igor.

Reaction Score
I think if enough people feel strongly enough to give Ollie the axe, so to speak, is it not possible to find email contacts of major donors and write polite emails logically stating points as to why the program has fallen and why it is better if Ollie goes?

Or just continue to use social media.

Or both.

Reaction Score
Is the regular season the be all end all? Not even close. Does having a good regular season infinitely improve your chances of winning the tournament? Absolutely. Let's stop scoffing at the regular season and remarking on how little importance it is unless 1. we start actually doing well in the regular season or 2. we think we're going to catch that Storrs lightning in a bottle for the third time soon.

I wonder if KO would even be here right now if it wasn't for Brimah's And-1 vs St. Joe's.

The reality is that we haven't been a powerhouse since the 2009 season. It's nearly been a decade. We were declining under JC, it took Kemba's miracles to distract most fans from that. I'd love to know what % of weeks we've spent in the Top 25 since 2010. We've been a mediocre regular season program for a while now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom