How close is UConn WCBB to shutting it down 2021-22? | The Boneyard

How close is UConn WCBB to shutting it down 2021-22?

Reaction Score
Intellectual conversation.
Rules regarding 1) players suited and able to play in a game. 8?
2) BE rules regarding postponements, forfeitures, eligibility for league championship, conference tournament eligibility, makeup dates
3) NCAA rules about any of these things. # of games required for a bid, bid's relationship to standing in your conference
Any parent reactions? Did Duke shut down last year because of pressure from parents? I never researched it, but at the time I thought Duke's shutdown
lacked a transparent explanation, at least outside their own house.
I coach a HS boys team in an Alaska-Native village. Small amount of HS boys, I only have 8, max. One boy just had a baby, so he shows up when he can. (10th grade, best player)
It's really challenging not having 10 to practice. You end up doing tons of skill work (which of course they need), and not team stuff. I try to bump into the girl's practice so some of them can join us. (good and bad- they're better fundamentally than my boys, they haven't been able to play consistently since March of 2020.)
Thoughts on Geno having to practice with 7. Impacts? I guess we'll see Sunday. (fingers crossed)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The intellectual answer to that question is - if UCONN cannot field enough players who are covid free AND injury free, then they will start forfeiting games, and will be unable to play.

Even as I typed that, I am unsure of the rules - BE vs. NCAA - all I know really is what I've read on the board. My point is, I don't know 100% what is going on inside the program, but I have no doubt the coaches will follow protocol, abide by the rules set forth, and see where the chips fall.

If they have enough healthy players to play, then they will. If they don't, then they won't. But I think making a decision to shut down the season is unrealistic.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Any parent reactions? Did Duke shut down last year because of pressure from parents? I never researched it, but at the time I thought Duke's shutdown lacked a transparent explanation, at least outside their own house.
I thought they were quite transparent. They said it was 100% player driven. The players had a vote and voted to shut it down. Players, coaches, and administrators said Kara had nothing to do with it other than telling her players she'd support them however they decided.

That's what I remember them saying, and I have no reason not to believe it. Triad, correct me if I'm mis remembering.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No Geno isn’t Kara Lawson.

Nope. I don't wanna get suspended in the first month of the year so I'll leave it at that.

I thought they were quite transparent. They said it was 100% player driven. The players had a vote and voted to shut it down. Players, coaches, and administrators said Kara had nothing to do with it other than telling her players she'd support them however they decided.

That's what I remember them saying, and I have no reason not to believe it. Triad, correct me if I'm mis remembering.

Definitely more accurate than some of the dumbarse comments I've seen on here concerning last year's decision.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It could easily happen...a further outbreak in covid or another injury (or two?)
They're going to have to play everyone huge minutes, which increases the possibility of an problem.

Remember E's knee is suspect, other players have had small issues, Nika is far from 100%

It wouldn't take much...I continue to marvel at this board's optimism and exaggerated expectations.

Reaction Score
The intellectual answer to that question is - if UCONN cannot field enough players who are covid free AND injury free, then they will start forfeiting games, and will be unable to play.
Maybe it’s time for Evina to put out a tweet looking for a couple of healthy women to join the team. Isn’t that what Stewie did several years ago which led to Brianna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor joining the team as walk-ons.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Maybe it’s time for Evina to put out a tweet looking for a couple of healthy women to join the team. Isn’t that what Stewie did several years ago which led to Brianna Pulido and Tierney Lawlor joining the team as walk-ons.

I think this was discussed earlier. There is some deadline long passed in which new players can't play for the rest of the season.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I am guessing this was an allusion to Duke shutting down last year.
It wasn’t an illusion. They actually shut down. I agree, though that that’s that what he was alluding to.

Reaction Score
The league could disqualify them from the tournament if we don't play 25 games. Something like that could happen.I don't know the details but technically the NCAA could shut down everyone, right?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Pulido's shot...my all-time fav UConn moment

Reaction Score

Even as I typed that, I am unsure of the rules - BE vs. NCAA - all I know really is what I've read on the board. My point is, I don't know 100% what is going on inside the program, but I have no doubt the coaches will follow protocol, abide by the rules set forth, and see where the chips fall.

If they have enough healthy players to play, then they will. If they don't, then they won't. But I think making a decision to shut down the season is unrealistic.
They don't have to forefit.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Intellectual conversation.
Rules regarding 1) players suited and able to play in a game. 8?
2) BE rules regarding postponements, forfeitures, eligibility for league championship, conference tournament eligibility, makeup dates
3) NCAA rules about any of these things. # of games required for a bid, bid's relationship to standing in your conference
Any parent reactions? Did Duke shut down last year because of pressure from parents? I never researched it, but at the time I thought Duke's shutdown
lacked a transparent explanation, at least outside their own house.
I coach a HS boys team in an Alaska-Native village. Small amount of HS boys, I only have 8, max. One boy just had a baby, so he shows up when he can. (10th grade, best player)
It's really challenging not having 10 to practice. You end up doing tons of skill work (which of course they need), and not team stuff. I try to bump into the girl's practice so some of them can join us. (good and bad- they're better fundamentally than my boys, they haven't been able to play consistently since March of 2020.)
Thoughts on Geno having to practice with 7. Impacts? I guess we'll see Sunday. (fingers crossed)
Hey coach, I hold my breath every time I log onto the boneyard, hoping not to see another thread about our next game being postponed. No more postponed games please. :confused:

Reaction Score
I'm rooting for shutting it down for the year on April 3 after the game in Minneapolis.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Like clockwork. another (see pic below) comment

donkey2_medium.jpg

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, a team needs seven players to play a game, not eight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom