How can you lose to North Texas and still be ranked? | The Boneyard

How can you lose to North Texas and still be ranked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
With the new Coaches poll having UConn again at a unanimous #1, we know that that side of the polls stays right, but still have to see about the writers over on the AP side. But OK lost to an abysmal North Texas team and somehow is still in the rankings. After a home loss like that you should have to do a month's penance filled with good deeds ( and wins) to regain any standing in the rankings. Many of the voting coaches obviously have no clue about what happened last week. But nice to see USF up to #17.

Polls

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
With the new Coaches poll having UConn again at a unanimous #1, we know that that side of the polls stays right, but still have to see about the writers over on the AP side. But OK lost to an abysmal North Texas team and somehow is still in the rankings. After a home loss like that you should have to do a month's penance filled with good deeds ( and wins) to regain any standing in the rankings. Many of the voting coaches obviously have no clue about what happened last week. But nice to see USF up to #17.

Polls
If you look at W-L records, you can see that this AP poll was voted on before the loss to the Mean Green. The coaches voted AFTER the Oklahoma loss.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
If you look at W-L records, you can see that this AP poll was voted on before the loss to the Mean Green. The coaches voted AFTER the Oklahoma loss.

Um, right, so Oklahoma is at 1-1 at and IS RANKED at #24 after the loss at North Texas. So I have no clue about what you're trying to say. Are you saying that you do believe that OK is good enough to be a ranked team after losing to North Texas? If so, whatever. From my view when you lose to a team that was 5-24 last year, you shouldn't be ranked.

The AP poll is before UConn win and the OK loss, so of course that is not a factor for the #1 and #17 rankings. The only question over there is whether UConn will get that unanimous pick at #1.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Good question a team that lost to North Texas. Shouldn't be ranked in the polls.

Reaction Score
Um, right, so Oklahoma is at 1-1 at and IS RANKED at #24 after the loss at North Texas. So I have no clue about what you're trying to say. Are you saying that you do believe that OK is good enough to be a ranked team after losing to North Texas? If so, whatever. From my view when you lose to a team that was 5-24 last year, you shouldn't be ranked.

The AP poll is before UConn win and the OK loss, so of course that is not a factor for the #1 and #17 rankings. The only question over there is whether UConn will get that unanimous pick at #1.

If that guy votes for South Carolina as #1 again, he should have his voting rights taken away. I doubt that will happen, though; he would lose all credibility as writer.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Whatever other errors might be in the polls, at least North Carolina is dropped from them.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Whatever other errors might be in the polls, at least North Carolina is dropped from them.
Yeah, although they did get 3 points for the "Others Receiving Votes" category. That may too change soon. It will be interesting to see how long it will be till we read the story "North Carolina Back in Rankings after X Weeks/Months/Years/Decades."

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

You are correct Dobbs. I misread your post, and I apologize for that. But I do not find the coaches' vote that surprising, as voters are loath to move a team too far, so since they were ranked 18th before the loss, they dropped only 6 spots to 24th. I agree that Oklahoma should have dropped out of the top 25 given the perceived strength of the opponent, but the voters believe in the principle of inertia, even though the initial condition(s) (preseason poll) was pretty much a crap shoot. Count me among the fans that prefers that we don't have a poll until after at least 3 weeks of play.

Reaction Score
do you really think the voters spend more than 30 seconds deciding who to vote for ?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
You are correct Dobbs. I misread your post, and I apologize for that. But I do not find the coaches' vote that surprising, as voters are loath to move a team too far, so since they were ranked 18th before the loss, they dropped only 6 spots to 24th. I agree that Oklahoma should have dropped out of the top 25 given the perceived strength of the opponent, but the voters believe in the principle of inertia, even though the initial condition(s) (preseason poll) was pretty much a crap shoot. Count me among the fans that prefers that we don't have a poll until after at least 3 weeks of play.
Fair enough, and they did snap back a little last night to at least give an acceptable showing. Every once in a while a team has a WhatTheFreak game of stupendous proportions (like maybe UConn-St. John's a few years back), and maybe OK has rid itself of its demon jinx this year. Only the season will tell.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While looking at the polls, a thought came to mind. I think most will agree that the 3 top ranked programs (UConn, USCe, & Notre Dame) will make it to the final four this year, barring injuries, or an encounter with a team that for 1 game, plays way over their head (i.e; Louisville v. Baylor 2013).

These three should arrive in a complimentary limo provided by the NCAA. The 4th invitee will have to drive themselves to Indiana, and park in the "pay first" public lot.
There should be a wild knock-down drag-out for that 4th ticket. I can see as many as 4 schools that may vie for that last invitation. I won't have a clue as to who it might be until mid February 2016. Do you have any ideas? :rolleyes:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The fact that WCBB oracles have been able to incise in stone the names of UConn and ND into Nov.-Dec. predictions the last many years has made them quite smug, and USCar and MD helped out last year. But some caution should be exercised because two years ago at this time, besides UConn there were four teams mentioned in the two polls' top 4 that included Stanford, Duke, Louisville, and UTenn. UConn and Stanford did make it, but the other three possibilities were pushed aside by ND and MD.

I actually do know who this year's fourth team is, and I will reveal the name I have penciled in now at some later point around April to prove my omniscient powers, but I can tell you all now that the missing team comes from the 10th state of the Union, and I will also reveal in April what the state ranks 10th in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom