How can Women's Basketball reduce its deficit? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How can Women's Basketball reduce its deficit?

Reaction Score
While the return for a successful football program can involve a lot of money, it is still the most expensive team sport to field. This means that the potential loss of revenue is also the greatest. When you consider the number of players each team carries+coaches their travel squad alone averages around 70+ people. That amounts to a huge cost when you figure in transportation, hotels and meals. This is the reason that many colleges have chosen to drop football from their athletic programs for cost cutting purposes. The return just does not justify the cost. That is why football has the highest deficit at Uconn.

Getting in a major conference is the only way that football can bring a return for a school like Uconn. But as has been able pointed out by Nuff sed and others, there are many factors involved in why a conference picks a school to join. Timing is also a factor. Unless the conference is ready to sign a new contract and the addition of a new school will improve the amount of said contract, the schools have no reason to bring in a new school to share a monetary sum that has already established. That is basically what kept Texas and the Oklahoma schools out of the Pac 12. The existing member schools saw no reason to share the contract that had already been signed.

Member schools hold strong veto rights to new membership and that was what BC exercised against Uconn's entrance into the ACC. .

Reaction Score
Hartford is the 33rd largest media market in the country between Kansas City and Columbus OH. Yes, UConn's TV market is bigger than the one the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes are in. The Huskies have a bigger market than most P5 teams without even accounting for the fact that the part of the state where the most alumni live is in the New York market, and Storrs is a stone's throw from another top 10 market (Boston). P5 slots do not come available all that often because the conferences are pretty much maxed out with 12 or 14 teams most of which are boat anchors that were in the right place at the right time and grandfathered in. If conferences could just dump teams, I'm sure there is at least one P5 conference that would trade some of their current members for UConn tomorrow if it were possible.
Really? Name it.
Years ago, the Hartford TV market was #21 in the country. The fact that it's 33 now means that compared with other areas, metro Hartford is a low-growth area. There might be a conference that wants to tape into #33, but they most likely will look at the growth prospects of the area before issuing an invitation. Gotta tell ya, looking to the future, Connecticut is not necessarily THE place to be. And none of that says one word about the prospects for football which are, as they say, dim. Personally, I couldn't give a flying toss about football, at UConn or elsewhere, but those guys, the ones who make the decisions, really seem to. I'm just saying that before anyone christens UConn as next in line to get a P5 bid, they should look at the Connecticut of 2025-2030 and the UConn of 2025-2030 and see if things look as rosy,

Reaction Score
Really? Name it.
Years ago, the Hartford TV market was #21 in the country. The fact that it's 33 now means that compared with other areas, metro Hartford is a low-growth area. There might be a conference that wants to tape into #33, but they most likely will look at the growth prospects of the area before issuing an invitation. Gotta tell ya, looking to the future, Connecticut is not necessarily THE place to be. And none of that says one word about the prospects for football which are, as they say, dim. Personally, I couldn't give a flying toss about football, at UConn or elsewhere, but those guys, the ones who make the decisions, really seem to. I'm just saying that before anyone christens UConn as next in line to get a P5 bid, they should look at the Connecticut of 2025-2030 and the UConn of 2025-2030 and see if things look as rosy,
Have you experienced the traffic on I-95 or the Merritt Parkway?

Either way, doesn't matter. UConn is not disappearing. Kind of ironic that some fans of a HISTORIC women's basketball program would think so little of the school and state. UConn's goal is the P5, whether you like it or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy
Top Bottom