How can we beat South Carolina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How can we beat South Carolina

JBK

Reaction Score
Play 1-3-1 in the 4th quarter tho. Liv in the middle Paige and Azzi on the side of her AE in the back with Williams up front. No turnovers and push push the ball when the chance is giving. We can do it.
Interesting. Geno is known to play a zone on occasion.
Would love to see this team get hot all at once.

Reaction Score
Years ago Jim Calhoun had 3 bigs, 2 who played very regularly and one that came in to clean up. His name I cannot forget: Soulyman Wan. Calhoun kept substituting Soulyman in and out taking fouls against Christian Laetner of Duke. By absorbing all of those fouls and containing Laetner inside,, UConn men won the first National Championship.

Reaction Score
Boston has been whistled for three fouls in over 140 minutes of tournament play. No hope if she continues to play almost foul free.

Reaction Score
There’s been a pattern in this tourney for UConn. Had an obviously great shooting night against Mercer. Bad night against UCF. Good night against NCST. Bad night against Stanford. Get my drift?

Boston will get her double double. The team has to stop everyone else.

That being said. WE ARE DOOMED.

That is all. :)

Reaction Score
Can we stop Boston? Liv has done a pretty good job the past two games

This.

And stay out of foul trouble. This may be the key to the game.

I wonder if Geno will start zone on the first possession again. Stanford was surprised.

Reaction Score
Slow the tempo. The fewer possessions SC has, the fewer opportunities for Boston. I'd like to see this game in the 50s, ugly notwithstanding.

Reaction Score
i would go at boston for the first 8 plays of the game. drive into her body and fall, flop on defense, get on her blind side and cause a charge. no ono fade away jumpers, get into her body, fake her up... anything to have her pick up one or two fouls early. if they do it ten times, two should be called. :)

Reaction Score
Slow the tempo. The fewer possessions SC has, the fewer opportunities for Boston. I'd like to see this game in the 50s, ugly notwithstanding.
The common plan against UConn is to slow it down because most coaches know they can't compete if it turns into a track meet. I'd like to see them push the tempo early. That's traditionally how we've gotten off to good starts.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
1) Rebound
2) Limit turnovers
3) Rebound

South Carolina had 17 more shots than UConn earlier in the season. If UConn can take as many shots as SC, they win.

I think if UConn gets the same kind of spark from the bench as they did last night, they win.

Reaction Score
Wowser, fantastic game!
I hope Geno throws in some double-screens for Paige and Azzi. Keep the turnovers to a minimum, rebound and put Nika on their point guard. Also, hope the refs are fair to both sides!
Can’t wait!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It would also be nice if the refs called the game a little tighter than last night's two. If it becomes a rugby match, that's really in South Carolina's favor.

Reaction Score
We just need to make a lot of 3s. We need to get Azzi and Paige to knock down 3s, and we need someone like Williams or Westbrook to do the same.

Reaction Score
Do what Calhoun did to Elton Brand in 1999 (The Duke Invitational...I mean, the NCAA Championship). I think that game plan could work here.

Reaction Score
AE has the strength to limit her (not stop her). If AE can stay out of foul trouble, play 30-35 minutes and keep Boston off the offensive glass, that will bode well for us.

During yesterday's SC game the announcers said SC (offensive) rebounds something like 46% of their misses. That can't happen tomorrow.

Reaction Score
There’s been a pattern in this tourney for UConn. Had an obviously great shooting night against Mercer. Bad night against UCF. Good night against NCST. Bad night against Stanford. Get my drift?

Boston will get her double double. The team has to stop everyone else.

That being said. WE ARE DOOMED.

That is all. :)
Azzi is due for a big game. Hopefully she can get hot from 3.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Boston has been whistled for three fouls in over 140 minutes of tournament play. No hope if she continues to play almost foul free.
Not foul free, fouls called free.

Reaction Score
First time we faced SC this year, we allowed the game to get away from us in the second half. Our offense went flat and we were out of sync and trying to figure out rotations. Azzi and CD still with the Freshman jitters and Aaliyah was in the clouds Geno had a short leash using bench players at that time. UCONN is a different team and playing a lot better than that early season match up.

The Key for beating South Carolina which we did just a year ago:

1. Control the perimeter play. The more bodies Olivia has to defend in the paint disadvantage UCONN. SC throw it up offense and go get the rebound is lethal if you can't control Dribble penetration. Much harder to rebound when your post have to step up and show help defense.

2. Over play SC post to their right hand and force them to shoot going left and live the results.

3. Bria Beal has to be the one we dare to shoot. She's a defensive stopper so let us make her exert herself offensively and ware her down by making her have to play both ends. If she scores 20 or more just not our night.

4. ONO and Aaliyah will need perimeter players help cleaning the glass as they will be occupied dealing with SC's Giants.

5. Most people don't want to hear this but Olivia has to find ways to get engaged offensively. We cant have our Post players solely on the perimeter. Post can't force action but take it when it's there.

6. Made buckets, Extended pressure has worked in the past. Let's shorten the clock and maybe take away their Post advantage.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Years ago Jim Calhoun had 3 bigs, 2 who played very regularly and one that came in to clean up. His name I cannot forget: Soulyman Wan. Calhoun kept substituting Soulyman in and out taking fouls against Christian Laetner of Duke. By absorbing all of those fouls and containing Laetner inside,, UConn men won the first National Championship.
Souleymane Wane and Elton Brand, not Laettner. Laettner was 8 years earlier.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom