How can we beat South Carolina | The Boneyard

How can we beat South Carolina

Reaction Score
1. Can we stop Boston? Liv has done a pretty good job the past two games
2. Can we score on their defense
3. Will they wear us down like they did at our game early in the season
4. Who is going to step up for this one

Reaction Score
1. We won't be able to stop her, but we can make her life harder. This team is capable of that.
2. Yes we can, it's a final so don't expect an offensive masterpiece.
3. We're deeper, more conditioned, and more hungry than we were back in the Bahamas.
4. Paige, this is her moment.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Get Boston in foul trouble. Sure, that will happen.

Reaction Score
I think Boston is close to unstoppable, but ONO has done well in her matchups against her. I remember in last years matchup she came about as close to neutralizing her as you can. However, credit Boston for coming back a much better player. She's pretty great.
I think we can score on their defense, because we don't do all the one on one stuff other teams do. Seeing Hailey Van Lith trying to create against Brea Beal was fun for me, but it didn't look like too much fun for Hailey Van Lith. In our matchup earlier this year, we scored fine against them until the 4th.
I'm still holding out hope for a CD breakout game. Also, I felt bad for Azzi today, cuz all her pull ups were good shots, right on-line and half way down. She could've easily had like 12 points today, despite being in foul trouble in the first half.
I think the key is controlling everybody besides Boston. Like Brea Beal is sneaky good sometimes offensively. I know the numbers aren't great, but she has a bit of size and can hit shots when attacking the basket. You can't let her have 12 like Louisville did. Similarly you can't let Saxton score too easily as well.
It is a tough task but this team has the talent to do it.

Reaction Score
Prevent Boston from getting offensive rebounds; always box her out. UConn played good defense today, continue the excellent switching against SC. Please, fewer turnovers! On offense, attack the basket. SC is very good defensive team, look for mismatches. I hope but don’t expect Geno to play Caroline very much, he seems to have made up his mind to have just 6 (7 if you count Nika) playing as his core: Liv, Edwards, Paige, Williams, Azzi, and Evina. Too bad, Caroline is a mismatch inside and we could use the points. And let’s hope we are making the outside shots.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

Front Boston then get her in foul trouble like arkansas did to Chet Holm green on the mens side

Fudd for sure and someone else needs to be bombing 3s with Paige

Gotta make sc beat you behind the arc

Reaction Score
Agree. This is counter intuitive as most will suggest a double or triple team. Did not work when Louisville doubled and tripled teamed her.

Also, UConn must limit South Carolina's FG attempts. 1) Control the boards and limit their offensive rebounds, 2) limit turnovers.

FG attempts being close to even, UConn can outshoot them and win.

Reaction Score
Put our trust in Geno, his coaching staff, his meticulous training program and practice day after day. His training program and executing in endless practices were the most well thought of and stringently carried out without peer. That IS the foundation of Sunday night's victory. Let the kids play the Huskies BB, just like in practice. We will win and we shall win ! !

Reaction Score
This is the national championship, not an early season tournament in the Bahamas, and I think the teams are fairly evenly matched. I expect the game will be close (again!), but if Connecticut cuts down their turnovers and shoots well I think they have a good chance of winning. South Carolina only outrebounded Louisville by 3 despite a marked shooting advantage, and I'm confident Connecticut will avoid the rebounding fiasco of their earlier meeting.

Reaction Score
Unless they start calling [Boston] for ducking her shoulders in the post and shuffling her feet which they haven’t called against her all year UConn just needs to shut everyone else down and let her have hers
Players of her stature customarily get some consideration, usually just in the marginal calls, and recognizing her as a skilled player and what her normal patterns are. If the officials restrict themselves to that, I'll have no complaints no matter how the game turns out. But it's a slippery slope when you call based on the player rather than the play and in any single game it can turn into travesty, the whole game or some key encounter that tips the balance. I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
I think AE will be a key factor. Liv isn't strong enough to stop Boston, but AE is. I like the comment earlier which was to give Boston hers, but don't give up open 3's to their guards.

Reaction Score
Bigs, take a charge, do not let Boston use you as a battering ram. One of the most important plays last night was when Alliyah took that charge from Brink. Stanford look deflated when that happened.

As Sean Connery said in The Untouchables, "If they beat you with layup, you beat them with a three." I think that's what he said.

Reaction Score
Play 1-3-1 in the 4th quarter tho. Liv in the middle Paige and Azzi on the side of her AE in the back with Williams up front. No turnovers and push push the ball when the chance is giving. We can do it.

Reaction Score
Boston 22 and 15 and 17 and 15 in last two meetings.

13 and 12 as a freshman. 6/14.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s kinda what Jim Calhoun did last century vs Shaq. He got a bunch of points but nobody else on LSU could do much. Minimizing how much she hurts us by trying to stay out of foul trouble and stop all others. Last night, Lexi Hull was pretty much a non factor. Need to give others on SC the same treatment. We might have to make it an ugly game. Win or lose, I’m sorry the season is over.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom