How can Gabby possibly get even better..?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How can Gabby possibly get even better..??

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno spoke at the Middlesex County Chamber of Commerce breakfast in the March of 2016 and talked briefly about the 2016-2017 season (w/out the big 3). He said the following:

"Gabby may be most athletic player not named Stewie in America. When she's got it going, there's nothing that kid can't do. . . For us to be great next year Gabby has to grow a lot in terms of believing in herself. When things don't quite go her way she's starts to question herself a little bit. . . She's a pretty good shooter. If she can keep making the same jumps she made from last year to this year and this year to next year, then we're going to be really, really good."

The guy sure knows his players and his team. Gabby did make that jump and the team was really, really good.
The only thing I disagree with is that Geno was short one "really" in his assessment. He should have said, "we're going to be really, really, really good." :rolleyes:

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I'm very glad that neither Williams nor her coaches shares the belief expressed by some on this thread that she has even approached the limit of her capabilities. I can't think of even one UConn AA who peaked after her third year.

I think the problem is that Gabby has shown us that she does some things on the court that no one else is capable of and as a result we think all facets of her game are at their peak.

Williams is driven to be "all she can be" and I'll wager she'll show us some new skills this season.

Alydar,
Where in this thread did anyone say Gabby has "approached the limits of her capabilities" or that she is at her "peak" ?? :eek: I think everyone thinks she will only get better and her game will improve even beyond even what she accomplished last season. I made the point that after such an incredible improvement, her points, rebounds and assists may not go up another 57%, 45% and 272%, respectively. With added depth on the front line and a total of six new players, it is possible she won't have to play 29.1 minutes every game. If that happens, she would be fresher and even more of a human highlight film than before..!!

Relax, Gabby and her coaches don't think she is at her limit. Neither does anyone in this thread. ;)
D in N

Last edited:

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
To answer the question if the thread title.... Shoot 40% from 3 & start crossing people over on the regular. I would like to add I like her as she is now but who wants to stop improving?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who does Gabby need to beat out? No one. She's the first person on the floor.

Gabby has a Diana Taurasi type intensity that is invaluable to a team. She does a lot of things well so she can give whatever you need whenever it's needed.

I think the end of last season has been burning in her mind. Look for this year to be special for her.

JMHO

Reaction Score
If she becomes the defensive stopper as Mo was...defense on guards really hurt them last year

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
LMAO. Always interesting when a player, a team starts to be knocked when they went undefeated to the Final Four. What is the motivation here. Sure every player, team can get better. But, from some of the posters posts, you would think that the team they are posting about was a JC from Hoboken, no offense to Hoboken.

I harken back to the pre 2011 years when I really enjoyed the banter with the long long time posters. Some of you are still around and posting some stellar stuff. However, I feel the new social media world of bots and fat Russians hiding behind computer screens could be infiltrating :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
LMAO. Always interesting when a player, a team starts to be knocked when they went undefeated to the Final Four. What is the motivation here. Sure every player, team can get better. But, from some of the posters posts, you would think that the team they are posting about was a JC from Hoboken, no offense to Hoboken.

I harken back to the pre 2011 years when I really enjoyed the banter with the long long time posters. Some of you are still around and posting some stellar stuff. However, I feel the new social media world of bots and fat Russians hiding behind computer screens could be infiltrating :eek:
In these politically correct times, I say well done. You only managed to offend Russians living in Hoboken- I think? :D

Reaction Score
If Gabby can become a consistent scorer from the 8 foot to 20 foot range it will be huge!

Seems that Gabby is never satisfied with her performances and strives to improve every day and every practice.
Remember she is a world class high jumper who is always trying to go higher. That is her drive..

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If she becomes the defensive stopper as Mo was...defense on guards really hurt them last year
I think that Gabby has already shown that ability as a perimeter defender, especially before last season when she actually did defend on the perimeter. Last year, she was given the unnatural job of defending in the paint, which she did as well as any 5-11 player could do.

Because of that, we have tended to forget her defensive performances as a guard. But in the upcoming season, we will be reminded of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom