How Billy Donovan helped Dan Hurley become national champion | The Boneyard

How Billy Donovan helped Dan Hurley become national champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"There were times he picked my brain on stuff, and quite honestly, I picked his brain on stuff," Donovan recalled. "Danny’s been around this game his entire life. He and I are very similar."

Alternate access:

How NBA coach Billy Donovan helped UConn's Dan Hurley become national champion: 'He and I are very similar'

Reaction Score
Billy Donavan is a great coach who doesn’t get enough credit for winning at a place like Fla . He should be in the HOF .
Florida basketball history was so bleak before him . 3 NCAA appearances in 50 years . Only a handful of winning seasons .
When he called Pitino to tell him he got the offer Rick told him if he wanted a career in coaching to turn the job down , it was a career ender.
They never even had a full time coach until 1960 nor any place to play for a long time . That’s what an afterthought that sport was there .
Of all the coaches we beat in 2014 his post game assessment of UConn. was the most accurate and honest without a hint of excuse like some coaches . He is is an impressive guy .

Reaction Score
Billy Donavan is a great coach who doesn’t get enough credit for winning at a place like Fla . He should be in the HOF .
Florida basketball history was so bleak before him . 3 NCAA appearances in 50 years . Only a handful of winning seasons .
When he called Pitino to tell him he got the offer Rick told him if he wanted a career in coaching to turn the job down , it was a career ender.
They never even had a full time coach until 1960 nor any place to play for a long time . That’s what an afterthought that sport was there .
Of all the coaches we beat in 2014 his post game assessment of UConn. was the most accurate and honest without a hint of excuse like some coaches . He is is an impressive guy .
If he had stayed in college he'd likely be a HOFer right now. Winning percentage over .700, 4 FF, 2 Titles. All by the age of 50 too. That's crazy

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I like Billy Donovan, I like Dan Hurley, I like Dave Borges.

But the article went on to quote how he (Billy) didnt help coach to win a title.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like Billy Donovan, I likee Dan Hurley, I like Dave Borges.

But the article went on to quote how he (Billy) didnt help coach to win a title.
Good point. Whoever at the Register comes up with the titles to Borges's articles needs to be fired. :)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Good point. Whoever at the Register comes up with the titles to Borges's articles needs to be fired. :)

Shut It Down 30 Rock GIF

Reaction Score
"There were times he picked my brain on stuff, and quite honestly, I picked his brain on stuff," Donovan recalled. "Danny’s been around this game his entire life. He and I are very similar."

Alternate access:

How NBA coach Billy Donovan helped UConn's Dan Hurley become national champion: 'He and I are very similar'

Dr. Roy Rotella I believe earned his doctorate degree from UConn.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
It’s almost too bad PC grad BillyD didn’t help his alma mater. Ed Cooley could’ve taken that to heart while PC fans were making fun of Hurley at URI. Ed busy banging coeds I guess.Even 9 months ago PC ( according to them ) had better when Ed was their coach. Ouch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think we have reached the end of the national championship article fodder.

Next up: How Danny Hurley’s dental hygienist inspired UConn’s championship run.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Somebody get that to the Celtics.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It’s almost too bad PC grad BillyD didn’t help his alma mater. Ed Cooley could’ve taken that to heart while PC fans were making fun of Hurley at URI. Ed busy banging coeds I guess.Even 9 months ago PC ( according to them ) had better when Ed was their coach. Ouch.
Nine months ago? I'll wager that four months ago today (the last day of January 2023) nearly the entirety of the PC fan base felt they were better than us, both in the then current season and in the foreseeable future.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Nine months ago? I'll wager that four months ago today (the last day of January 2023) nearly the entirety of the PC fan base felt they were better than us, both in the then current season and in the foreseeable future.
I have early dementia. I’m bad at math. Thank you for accuracy.

Reaction Score
Fun to see which coaches are friends. What are other big name coaches is Hurley connected to that you wouldn’t ordinarily expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom