How are you folks feeling about the ESPN stations, announcers, etc.? | The Boneyard

How are you folks feeling about the ESPN stations, announcers, etc.?

Reaction Score
Was prompted to ask upon seeing that our first conference playoff game is only available to us on ESPN3. Guess there is a vast army of fans somewhere that are more passionate fans than we are? And, the continuous rambling on about topics having NOTHING to do with the game is still fresh in my ears from the last game.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Aren’t games that are only on ESPN3 usually not handled by ESPN broadcast crews - don’t they just pick up someone else’s feed? (But not sure whose feed they’re gonna pick up if no SNY - ??)
ESPN has the TV rights to the AAC Tournament, so it will be ESPN that is doing the announcing.

Reaction Score
Like Nan said re: our last ESPN game when the announcers became bored with the game, and chit chatted about everything BUT the game in front of them. You know, the game that they were being PAID to cover; they were terrible. .

Reaction Score
ESPN has the TV rights to the AAC Tournament, so it will be ESPN that is doing the announcing.
Because ESPN bought or buys those rights and probably can outbid SNY. The "Please shut up duo" do the ESPN 2 games such as USF and South Carolina. Here's the bad news- The AAC semis and finals are ESPN 2 games. You may choose to go to the Chat room during the game if they are doing it like I do and turn off the sound. Much more entertaining and a hell of a lot more insight from very knowledgeable fans. The "over and under" is how long in the broadcast of the UConn semis game it takes for them to stop talking about the game and start talking about the NCAA tourney. On the basis of the USF game, I would put it at 3 minutes. The "duo" regularly do SEC, Big Ten and ACC teams. I bet they don't "dis" those teams with their blabber.

Reaction Score
As far as ESPN and the announcers, I do not give it a second thought. And if no created this thread, I would not be responding. I do not care who is the announcer as long as I can see the game. However, what bothers me about ESPN is they will take away part of the screen for viewing this game to go to an adjunct subject that I am not even interested in and deflect from my viewing pleasure. That's it.

Reaction Score
As far as ESPN and the announcers, I do not give it a second thought. And if " no created this thread, I would not be responding. "

Very old dog: You are one of my favorites. But I could no grasp the meaning of the portion of your message that I show here. Perhaps a word of two got left out?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The positive aspect of the big networks having the broadcast rights to WCBB is that up until a few years ago no one cared enough about the women's game to add them to the general 'rights' that were being sold by the conferences. The only folks that cared enough were independents like CPTV and then SNY. Next on board were the conference networks that started to pop up. That changed with the latest round of broadcast contracts with confrences, and ESPN signed a contract with the AAC that included the WCBB rights but had no interest in producing more than a few Uconn conference games and signed an agreement with SNY to produce the rest as long as they got to stream the broadcast feeds. Same is happening next year with Fox and the BE.

ACC, B1G, B12, SEC and Pac12 have their own sports networks that own the rights and some sell the streaming rights to national networks. The Pac12 network has locked up all of the access to WCBB and it hurts the national audience because it is either unavailable as broadcast/streaming or costs extra.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Last year for our quarterfinal we had Sam Gore and Blair Schaefer. I did enjoy listening to Blair even though she was a player on THAT team. But she has a new job this season, so she won't be there.

Reaction Score
LC, anytime you have a question about anything concerning scheduling, broadcasting, or anything else related to sports the automatic answer is money.

Reaction Score
As far as ESPN and the announcers, I do not give it a second thought. And if no created this thread, I would not be responding. I do not care who is the announcer as long as I can see the game. However, what bothers me about ESPN is they will take away part of the screen for viewing this game to go to an adjunct subject that I am not even interested in and deflect from my viewing pleasure. That's it.
Right on target VOD. You can always hit the mute button but you can't change the screen. And it's expecially grating when they do it when they are not speaking on the game or the players.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that happens a lot, lately. I think, therefore, I type. I type, and not all that I think gets typed.

Reaction Score
veryolddog said:
As far as ESPN and the announcers, I do not give it a second thought. And if " no created this thread, I would not be responding. "

Winlots: Very old dog: You are one of my favorites. But I could no grasp the meaning of the portion of your message that I show here. Perhaps a word of two got left out?

:) Yeah, that happens a lot, lately. I think, therefore, I type. I type and not all that I think gets typed.

Reaction Score
Like Nan said re: our last ESPN game when the announcers became bored with the game, and chit chatted about everything BUT the game in front of them. You know, the game that they were being PAID to cover; they were terrible. .

I saw the replay of the last game- USF v. Conn, and could not believe the total lack of professionalism displayed by these two women. I have been uncomfortable with them before, but concluded that they had to be knowledgeable to have the job. But these two individuals carried on in a way that caused me to wonder if the network had, accidentally,tabbed into a fish market somewhere. Even if the game is 'uneventful', as a professional you have the responsibility to hold fast to some personal and Network integrity. This was really off-off-off Broadway stuff!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The positive aspect of the big networks having the broadcast rights to WCBB is that up until a few years ago no one cared enough about the women's game to add them to the general 'rights' that were being sold by the conferences. The only folks that cared enough were independents like CPTV and then SNY. Next on board were the conference networks that started to pop up. That changed with the latest round of broadcast contracts with confrences, and ESPN signed a contract with the AAC that included the WCBB rights but had no interest in producing more than a few Uconn conference games and signed an agreement with SNY to produce the rest as long as they got to stream the broadcast feeds. Same is happening next year with Fox and the BE.

ACC, B1G, B12, SEC and Pac12 have their own sports networks that own the rights and some sell the streaming rights to national networks. The Pac12 network has locked up all of the access to WCBB and it hurts the national audience because it is either unavailable as broadcast/streaming or costs extra.
I’m at the airport right now and the tv in at the gate us showing the Big Sky tournament. Sacramento State vs Portland State. Sac State is up 41-31 early in the third quarter. It’s on Pluto TV

Reaction Score
They are fine. I watch the games. Their chatter doesn’t change what I see. Some of you BYer remind me of the two grumpy old muffet men. You need/have to complain to feel better. Relax

Reaction Score
They are fine. I watch the games. Their chatter doesn’t change what I see. Some of you BYer remind me of the two grumpy old muffet men. You need/have to complain to feel better. Relax

You make it sound like complaining is a bad thing...

And what are muffet men; damn you spellcheck!

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
And what are muffet men; damn you spellcheck! [/QUOTE] [ATTACH type="full said:
51658[/ATTACH]
group-of-leprechauns-saint-patrick-characters-vector-23770800.jpg

Reaction Score
Here's the thing MDoggie - we come from a generation that, when you spent your money to purchase something, you expected a fair return. If you think that the money you pay for your cable tv is fair, so be it. If you have paid for that sports cable in order to watch your favorite team and the announcers not only turn their attention to something else but the screen on your tv goes away from the game you are watching, then you are not getting the full value of what you paid for. When you pay for cable and they are making a fortune with your payments but have decided to put in ten to fifteen commercials every half hour to get even richer, don't you ever feel at the least bit that you are being taken advantage of? No, I guess not. It's up to us "grumpy of muffet" men to complain about things like that. In the meantime ESPN is putting in more "channels" but charging you extra for them.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom