How about this for conference realignment (hypothetical) | The Boneyard

How about this for conference realignment (hypothetical)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marinatto goes after Maryland and PSU, kicks out Depaul and Marquette. If Villanova upgrades there Football program we've got 12 for football. This keeps the original basketball only schools, and the tradition of Big East basketball alive and well.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I like the idea, but PSU will never leave the big ten due to football

Reaction Score
Why do so many people hate Marquette on this board? They're always mentioned as a team to get rid of. I don't see why. They've been to a recent Final Four, and they've done relatively well in the tournament.

I ultimately see an amicable split with football schools on one side and 10-12 Catholic schools on the other.

1. Cincy
  2. Louisville
  3. Kansas
  4. KSU
  5. Pitt
  6. Rutgers
  7. Syracuse
  8. TCU
  9. UConn
  10. USF
  11. WVU
  12. Random School X
Catholic/Non-Football Schools
  1. DePaul
  2. Georgetown
  3. Providence
  4. Marquette
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Seton Hall
  7. St. John's
  8. St. Joseph's
  9. Temple
  10. Villanova
  11. Xavier
  12. Richmond? St. Bonaventure?

Reaction Score
No hatred towards Marquette, but there not a northeast school nor do they play BCS football, and I think the value they add to BE basketball is replaceable. The only concern i have of a split between the football schools and the non football schools, is where does UCONN play there conference tournament? i think its important to keep the BE basketball tradition alive as well as play the conference championship tournament in the garden.

Reaction Score
I also don't think the idea PSU wouldn't leave the Big Ten because of football is completely true. PSU could possibly become a dominant football program in the BE, making the road to a BCS championship game easier as well. If the new TV contract shakes out like Marinatto hopes, the numbers might add up to be comparable with what there getting from the big ten.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
sure it's great, but it's not about the fast road to a BCS game. i believe the amount of $ and revenue from all the big 10 teams is substantially more than what the BE could/would offer. their football programs make much more $ than the BE and seeing as football drives the bus, that seems to make more sense for them to stay where they are.

Reaction Score
Why do so many people hate Marquette on this board? They're always mentioned as a team to get rid of. I don't see why. They've been to a recent Final Four, and they've done relatively well in the tournament.

I ultimately see an amicable split with football schools on one side and 10-12 Catholic schools on the other.

1. Cincy
  2. Louisville
  3. Kansas
  4. KSU
  5. Pitt
  6. Rutgers
  7. Syracuse
  8. TCU
  9. UConn
  10. USF
  11. WVU
  12. BC ???? Maryland ???? Penn St ???? Notre Dame ????
Catholic/Non-Football Schools
  1. DePaul
  2. Georgetown
  3. Providence
  4. Marquette
  5. Notre Dame
  6. Seton Hall
  7. St. John's
  8. St. Joseph's
  9. Temple
  10. Villanova
  11. Xavier
  12. Richmond? St. Bonaventure?

Hate to think it, but what about BCU as the 12th in for Football ? I'm still a traditionalist, and while I hate the way they left, we should play them every year...Maryland is another option, and would love Penn State or ND, but I think both are highly unlikely given the CFB landscape

Reaction Score
I also don't think the idea PSU wouldn't leave the Big Ten because of football is completely true. PSU could possibly become a dominant football program in the BE, making the road to a BCS championship game easier as well. If the new TV contract shakes out like Marinatto hopes, the numbers might add up to be comparable with what there getting from the big ten.

In the BE's wildest hopes, they won't come to within a mile of the Big10s contract. When you combine the BigTen's ABC/ESPN deal with its BTN deal, they triple what the ACC does. This is the reason why the Big10 is the most stable conference, and also the reason why the Big1o will likely be the last conference that will expand. They're not going to add teams simply for the sake of adding them unless that team is Notre Dame.

Reaction Score
This is a basketball board, so I'll offer this crazy scenario:

The SEC takes Virginia Tech, Florida St, Missouri to round out its league.

The BE, after adding Kansas and Kansas St., merges with the ACC.

UConn, Syracuse, Pitt, West Virginia, Cincy, Louisville, Kansas and Kansas St., join Maryland, Virginia, Duke, NC St., North Carolina, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Clemson.

Any basketball player who considers playing in any other league is thereby considered "afraid to compete," and soon the conference crowds out all others. To everyone's surprise, BEACC! basketball draws more in TV revenue than all the other leagues combined and basketball once again throws its weight around the room like it used to moneywise.

Miami and Boston College are left to dangle, Rutgers goes begging to the Big10, and everyone apologizes to USF but recommends they hitch up with Miami, BC, Iowa St., TCU, Baylor, Memphis, Houston, SMU, E Carolina and UCF.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
In the BE's wildest hopes, they won't come to within a mile of the Big10s contract. When you combine the BigTen's ABC/ESPN deal with its BTN deal, they triple what the ACC does. This is the reason why the Big10 is the most stable conference, and also the reason why the Big1o will likely be the last conference that will expand. They're not going to add teams simply for the sake of adding them unless that team is Notre Dame.
Very unlikely you could coax PSU from the B10 but if the ACC gets raided I think that we'd have a decent shot at Maryland.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall should be the first team that gets the boot. They bring nothing to the table. Then Providence, DePaul, Marquette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom