How about some Luv for the USF Bulls? | The Boneyard

How about some Luv for the USF Bulls?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I, along with many others here in the BY, have lamented the fact that the AAC is not a more competitive conference once you get past UConn. With last night’s hammering of 13th ranked tOSU, the USF Bulls made a strong statement to reenter the Top 25. Kitia Laksa has evidently recovered from her nightmares of Kia holding her to 0 pts in their last meeting, exploding for 41 pts against the hapless Buckeye defense.

USF outplayed, outrebounded and outhustled tOSU for 40 minutes, proving again that a well-coached team will frequently beat a badly coached team with more talent. The Bulls are hoping for a top 16 seed so that they can host the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament. While the bottom half of the Top 25 has looked really shaky of late, I’m not sure that USF can earn a top 16 seed, unless they beat UConn once in either the last game of the season or the AAC conference championship, and let’s face it, that ain’t gonna happen.

Still, USF deserves credit for a very nice win against a talented Buckeye team. Hopefully, over the next few years we see more and more high profile OOC wins by AAC teams not named UConn. In the end, such wins benefit UConn as well as the conference.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Except for the UConn games, they should be able to run the table. Only a road game against UCF should be a real challenge. I will be interested to see how USF and specifically Laksa handles a much stiffer defense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Except for the UConn games, they should be able to run the table. Only a road game against UCF should be a real challenge. I will be interested to see how USF and specifically Laksa handles a much stiffer defense.
The Bulls probably have 2 games left vs UCF, regular season & conference tournament. I agree with you that they will need to beat UCF, both times, to have any chance for a top 16 seed.

When you look at their schedule, they only have one "bad" loss in my opinion, vs Wichita St. Beyond that the Bulls missed several opportunities for nice wins against decent teams: MI St and OK for instance. Before beating tOSU last night, the Bulls best win was probably their season opener over a good LSU team.

Reaction Score
now that was an example of a trap game for OSU.................the other team under performing for parts of the season but with enough talented shooters to hurt you...............and they did...............

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
A couple of things here: 1. Check the game thread-USF did get accolades. 2. tOSU is vastly overrated at #13. I, for the life of me can't understand why as they have only beaten Stanford twice, early in the season when McPhee missed one game and then beat Michigan. They then lost 5 straight to ranked opponents including Michigan at home. The OSU team is struggling so let's not get too pumped up.

Yes, it was a good win, a needed win and on national tv, it should cement a top 7 seed for USF. Other than that though, they still need to win on the road and make it to the final of the AAC.

Personally, I would love to see UCF use that defense against USF and see how the Euro's handle the pressure...

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I noted the Bulls win on a different thread; impressed me.
Also, got me to thinking...
it's as if there are two different games being played out there.

If you don't guard Laksa closely, she can score at will.
If you do, she can be completely shut down.

Kevin coaching in his typical AAU manner, obviously thought that he had more firepower than his opponents and that "D" was optional; he was wrong about that.

And what a terrible way to find out....one of announcers alluded to the fact that
with Ohio State attempting to play D, it was taking the starch out of their offense; poor babies.

It is so clear that strong effort and technique on defense and rebounding gives you a much better chance to win, to be at least competitive; and with some work on transition; lots of easy points.

It is amazing that together with a maximum of conditioning, these simple concepts are the key to success. It's no great secret.

Now, it is true that many young woman come out of High School with a much different concept of what success in woman's basketball entails. And so good coaching entails a re-education process and recruiting requires some thought with regard which MAC D's winners are willing to transform their game.

A highlight and lowlight reel of Laksa's two games could be a be great tool in this regard...Just intercut the two games...it describes, in living color, better than words ever can, the keys to winning at this sport.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Can't see why any one would call this an upset. Good job by the Bulls!
I would certainly think the game was "upsetting" to the Buckeyes, although, maybe not. tOSU seems to have accepted a relative level of mediocrity.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
The game yesterday was a good game. How about Latska? She was on fire, and burned the court with 41 points.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The game yesterday was a good game. How about Latska? She was on fire, and burned the court with 41 points.
Laksa was great for sure, but tOSU did give her a lot of open shots. Still, she had to knock them down, which she did.

Reaction Score
How USF ever lost to Wichita State I'll never understand, but good win by the Bulls vs OSU. To be honest, I don't think there's many teams that would want USF in their part of the bracket this year. Laksa has a chance to be among the very best players they've ever had there (still just a junior).

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who has had more than enough of UCF for this season? I'll be rooting for USF or anyone to beat UCF.
Katie Abrahamson-Henderson has done a remarkable job with that squad in two years. The first building block to any strong program is defense. Offense comes later. I just fear she will be noticed by a P5 traditional WCBB program and be snatched up. So while ugly at times, the team shows heart, hardwork and tenacity. They never quit. Unlike any of the recent games by USF vs. UConn-games were over by half-time and USF simply quit.

I am not a fan of Jose and his Euro team. Fine if you want 1, 2 or maybe 3 foreign players but to have 8 out of your 12 person roster be from Europe is downright insulting to every American young lady who could use a scholarship for an education. Particularly a public University like USF.

Rant over.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Enjoyed watching Laura Ferreira hound Kelsey Mitchell [6 for 15, 2 of 8 from 3]. A Nurse-like performance on defense...
I wish there was an "Unlike button" as I find Ferreira to be one of the dirtier players in the NCAA. Pushing, shoving, elbows, bumps, body checks, all are what the NCAA is trying to stop. Not a fan of hers. For all the knocks that Sophie Cunningham gets on this, people need to follow an isolated camera on Ferreira to see her antics.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of Jose and his Euro team. Fine if you want 1, 2 or maybe 3 foreign players but to have 8 out of your 12 person roster be from Europe is downright insulting to every American young lady who could use a scholarship for an education. Particularly a public University like USF.

Totally disagree. Are you suggesting that Geno NOT using his full scholarship quota is also insulting? Is it a bad thing that Kia Nurse is on the team? Is she an "insult" to every American young lady who could use a scholarship for an education? I don't get your logic.
A coaches job is to put a winning product on the floor. I was unaware there was a "native born" component. Should Geno stop any recruitment of Ezi?

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Totally disagree. Are you suggesting that Geno NOT using his full scholarship quota is also insulting? Is it a bad thing that Kia Nurse is on the team? Is she an "insult" to every American young lady who could use a scholarship for an education? I don't get your logic.
A coaches job is to put a winning product on the floor. I was unaware there was a "native born" component. Should Geno stop any recruitment of Ezi?
My understanding is that GENO, CD and company use all of their scholarships each year by awarding the remainder, in whole or in portions, to the ever-present, nicely-dressed, hard-working team managers you see handling water bottles and sweaty towels during the game.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Maybe you need to reread my comment- 1, 2 or 3 Foreign player opportunities is fine, when it gets to 8, that's ridiculous. Yes, our job is to educate people in our country. Presenting opportunities to other countries is nice but NO UNIVERSITY does this to the tune of 75% of the available slots.

As far as native born component-I am not trying to politicize anything, just using rational judgement on all job, education and immigration quota's. No job would import 75% workers when the available pool of just as qualified workers is available right out their doorstep.

It's a trickle down effect and it hurts young women who are not being given education opportunities.

Reaction Score
Maybe you need to reread my comment- 1, 2 or 3 Foreign player opportunities is fine, when it gets to 8, that's ridiculous. Yes, our job is to educate people in our country. Presenting opportunities to other countries is nice but NO UNIVERSITY does this to the tune of 75% of the available slots.

As far as native born component-I am not trying to politicize anything, just using rational judgement on all job, education and immigration quota's. No job would import 75% workers when the available pool of just as qualified workers is available right out their doorstep.

It's a trickle down effect and it hurts young women who are not being given education opportunities.
Wonder how you come up with the 75%, behind a social-economy studies? Or just your gut? Are we going to apply this rule to the farms in California’s Central Valley? If we had applied your rule, we might not have made the atomic bomb before the Germans. USF can’t get KLS, Wilson or Gaby Williams. Maybe those foreigners were the best from the left-over pool Jose could get that fits his basketball philosophy. Wonder if you have thought that way?

Reaction Score
- 1, 2 or 3 Foreign player opportunities is fine, when it gets to 8, the available pool of just as qualified workers is available right out their doorstep.

I still disagree strongly. What is "magic" about 1, 2 or 3 but not 4? Sounds like 3 ok, 4 bad is totally arbitrary. Jose's job is to win basketball games. He has chosen those players he thinks best available to accomplish the goal of winning games. You make it like the other players of the same quality level of basketball skill as those on USF's team are out there and not getting scholarships. Please name those players.
Lastly - NOBODY is being denied an education. ANYBODY (meeting the academic requirements) can go to UCONN or USF or any other school IF they pay their way. The fact that some students are having their tuition paid because they play basketball does not in any way preclude any other student from the access to education.
To carry your logic further, isn't it an affront to all of the students in Connecticut to not have basketball scholarships when Geno goes out to other states to recruit and gives scholarships to those out of kids? Or is UCONN only supposed to have 3 out of state and the rest from Connecticut?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Why is that ridiculous? Coach Jose's job is to win basketball games and represent the University of South Florida in a positive way. He's a classy guy and an underrated coach. Like Geno, he's going to recruit and play the players that best help the team. Is he supposed to turn away talented young women simply because of their passport?

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I still disagree strongly. What is "magic" about 1, 2 or 3 but not 4? Sounds like 3 ok, 4 bad is totally arbitrary. Jose's job is to win basketball games. He has chosen those players he thinks best available to accomplish the goal of winning games. You make it like the other players of the same quality level of basketball skill as those on USF's team are out there and not getting scholarships. Please name those players.
Lastly - NOBODY is being denied an education. ANYBODY (meeting the academic requirements) can go to UCONN or USF or any other school IF they pay their way. The fact that some students are having their tuition paid because they play basketball does not in any way preclude any other student from the access to education.
To carry your logic further, isn't it an affront to all of the students in Connecticut to not have basketball scholarships when Geno goes out to other states to recruit and gives scholarships to those out of kids? Of is UCONN only supposed to have 3 out of state and the rest from Connecticut?
Let's agree to disagree on this as you are not at all grasping my points. The trickle down effect means Jose could certainly recruit a young lady from Atlanta, Philadelphia etc., then the school that was recruiting her would go to the next level until further down the chain, a young lady who's skills could warrant a scholarship and educuation can get it at Mercer, Elon, where ever.

What one top school does, affects the lower level schools. The fact is many disadvantage student athletes CAN'T afford these schools. But hey, live in your you utopia that a "Bianco Cuevas-Moore from the Bronx " type could afford $45K in annual fees.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thought this game was as much an indictment of OSU as anything. They simply don't play hard. It's noticeable not just on the defensive end but in terms of rebounding effort as well.

Reaction Score
Let's agree to disagree on this as you are not at all grasping my points. The trickle down effect means Jose could certainly recruit a young lady from Atlanta, Philadelphia etc., then the school that was recruiting her would go to the next level until further down the chain, a young lady who's skills could warrant a scholarship and educuation can get it at Mercer, Elon, where ever.

What one top school does, affects the lower level schools. The fact is many disadvantage student athletes CAN'T afford these schools. But hey, live in your you utopia that a "Bianco Cuevas-Moore from the Bronx " type could afford $45K in annual fees.
Barring the admission of all foreign students to our university system will certainly maximize the trickle down theory of yours. So 75% should be revised to 100%. (At this moment only the president position has a native born requirement , unfortunately )

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom