How about.... a player is only allowed in the transfer portal every other year. | The Boneyard

How about.... a player is only allowed in the transfer portal every other year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Players deserve some freedom of movement. That was the impetus for creating the portal. However, as it exists it has introduced chaos to college basketball.

Decreasing the amount of player movement would help both players, coaches and institutions. It would also give high school recruits, who have suffered from this process by creating a landscape that constantly changes dramatically under their feet, a firmer basis for making the most important decision of their young lives. Making portal movement a two year decision would introduce some thoughtfulness (and restore a little sanity) to the process.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Players deserve some freedom of movement. That was the impetus for creating the portal. However, as it exists it has introduced chaos to college basketball.

Decreasing the amount of player movement would help both players, coaches and institutions. It would also give high school recruits, who have suffered from this process by creating a landscape that constantly changes dramatically under their feet, a firmer basis for making the most important decision of their young lives. Making portal movement a two year decision would introduce some thoughtfulness (and restore a little sanity) to the process.

Thoughts?
Players have to sit out if they transfer more than once unless they get some sort of waiver from the NCAA

Reaction Score
I don't mind the free transfer once rule. What complicates this is all the other sports IMO. Some kid on the wrestling, swimming, or volleyball team should have the freedom to move to whatever school they want--these kids are truly student athletes primarily. That doesn't even account all the DII and DIII kids who don't stand a chance of ever, every playing professional anything.

Men's D1/FBS basketball and football need a special ruleset to combat the amount of money being thrown around and tampering going on.

Reaction Score
I like that kids can transfer and play immediately, but if they transfer again they have to sit out. I think going forward it might be a good move to place a cap on teams so they can only have a certain amount of transfers on a team at once or something like that. Still drinking my coffee so maybe that doesn't sound as good as I think it does. But ultimately, I think it comes down to putting restrictions on the NCAA members, not so much the players.

Reaction Score
I am happy we are able to get a player like Alleyne but something needs to be done to make it so easy to leave a program without giving it a chance. (not saying he didn't but so many others) I am fine with one move to the portal then you have to sit out, but always liked when you needed to sit out first time as well.

Reaction Score
Imagine the angst among college coaches and their future planning.

I'm an old fart and remembered 'players' as student athletes. With NIL, no more one year transfer ban, 5th year eligibility, NILs, etc.. I'm not sure college basketball will be recognizable in a short few years.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with the system as is with one free transfer. I think it will eventually settle down a bit once a) the extra COVID year impact goes away, and b) players get a better sense of how this will actually play out for them (i.e. there are kids who will make a snap decision to transfer, get burned, and then have to look at sitting out a year if they wanted to move again).

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yes but it seems like everyone gets a waiver now. Before it was rare to get a waiver
I think this is the solution. They need to fully eliminate the waiver. 1 free transfer, then if you want to go again regardless of the circumstances you have to sit 1 year.

The argument has always been that coaches could move to new schools anytime without penalty, so students should have that option too. I think that premise is correct.

But coaches (very rarely) are able to move schools in consecutive years without some sort of penalty (usually in the form of a buy out).

Not a perfect comparison, but I think eliminating waivers all together will also make kids think twice about the coach they are committing to go play for…

Edit: I’d even be okay with unlimited transfers without sitting, but as long as they are not in consecutive years. For some guys, this would give they the opportunity to move twice. Once after a freshman / sophomore year. Once again as an upper classman / grad student. Just as long as it’s not a move every single year.

Reaction Score

Thoughts?
Or just 2 year scholarships with option to renew on both sides. This offers both sides freedom. Also puts pressure on academic achievement as well.

Reaction Score
Or cap the number of transfers a team can bring in in any given year.

Reaction Score
Making portal movement a two year decision would introduce some thoughtfulness (and restore a little sanity) to the process.
how would every other year help?

wouldnt that just mean a player is able to transfer 2x in 4 years and be immediately eligible each time? right now a player is only allowed to transfer 1x and be immediately eligible (waivers notwithstanding but that's a different issue).

in other words, under the current rule, once a player transfers they are stuck at the second school for the rest of their careers, which is potentially more than 2 years like floyd (again, waivers notwithstanding but that's a different issue that needs to be tightened up).

Reaction Score
I like that kids can transfer and play immediately, but if they transfer again they have to sit out. I think going forward it might be a good move to place a cap on teams so they can only have a certain amount of transfers on a team at once or something like that. Still drinking my coffee so maybe that doesn't sound as good as I think it does. But ultimately, I think it comes down to putting restrictions on the NCAA members, not so much the players.
What happens if you have X number of transfers and then you lose 6 players to the portal but you've already hit the max # of transfers on your team? I think the way to curb the transfer madness is to decrease the scholarships from 13 down to 11. The bottom few kids on each roster play musical chairs and make up a bulk of the portal, this would cut it down if the overall number of players was reduced. But it would have to be phased in over a few years.

And then allow the schools to take the savings of those 2 scholarships and give it to the players as a stipend bonus. Solves 2 problems in 1

Reaction Score
I would like to see the following:

1 No NIL deals/money for 1st year after transfer or player must sit out 1 year. (Not sure if NCAA can legally do this, but I'd like them to try) Cuts down on Bluebloods and other schools using mid-majors as new 'farm' teams. Money for good academic standing is still allowed.
2. Players who play 4 years at same college or graduate without transferring on time get free college at said university or college. They can pursue masters or second major... etc..
3. Players cannot transfer and player until after sophomore year. Can transfer and sit 1 year after true freshman season. Force coaches to try to develop players and never give up on them (extremely rare). Also, keeps some frosh who should think they should start day 1 because of a number next to their name on some recruiting website stick around and see if he program is really actuallly good for them.
4. Players may leave program if coach leaves for another job, but may not follow coach to his new employer. If a guy wants to transfer to his coach's new college after 2 years, I'm fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom