OT: - How’s your MLB team doing this off-season? | The Boneyard

OT: How’s your MLB team doing this off-season?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
In the studio tomorrow with NY Times National Baseball writer, Tyler Kepner, to discuss this and more on The Sliders & Curveballs Podcast.

97DFA925-D455-4717-8164-ECBC2C14EF9E.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'd love to read that and hear your interview

I'm a Rays fan and they typically never make big moves. Can't afford it. But they still seem to make the smartest moves. A GM once said "if the Rays suddenly want one of your players, hang on to them"

GemParty

Reaction Score

I'm a Rays fan and they typically never make big moves. Can't afford it. But they still seem to make the smartest moves. A GM once said "if the Rays suddenly want one of your players, hang on to them"
Are you a Chaim Bloom fan? As a Red Sox fan, he’s not on my Christmas list this year.

Reaction Score
@GemParty ha! I was when he was in Tampa. But even with front office changes they tend to land on their feet. You learn to never get attached to any Ray. But still no ring....

GemParty

Reaction Score
I figured Bloom would have a good eye for talent and more money to spend, but we’re losing all our favorite stars. Ownership isn’t hungry anymore after they broke the curse.

Reaction Score
@GemParty I'm sure it's different with your payroll but that was his way with the Rays. Dump your stars if their future projections don't match the $$$ they may make. It's the Rays way. They let go of Longoria, D Price, KK two weeks ago, among other Rays' standbys

GemParty

Reaction Score
The Yankees and Phillies are having a ball right now.

Reaction Score
White Sox have done nothing. They lost José Abreu, and have not signed anyone of significance. Their choice of new Manager was not inspiring. And i keep hearing that Liam Hendriks and Tim Anderson are available for trade.

Reaction Score
I am proud that the Red Sox have worked diligently and successfully to reach their goal of securing last place in their Division for the 2023 season.

Sell the team and focus on bringing an NBA franchise to Vegas if that's what you're really interested in. It's a joke that they're trying to become Tampa Bay North.

Reaction Score
Like NFL head coaches, GM's take a big brunt of the blame in MLB. To @BigErnMcCracken s point, Tampa Bays smart, small market strategy is an organizational identity, one that came out of pure necessity. Big market teams have tried this model and failed.

Reaction Score
I am proud that the Red Sox have worked diligently and successfully to reach their goal of securing last place in their Division for the 2023 season.
Did they really work though? I think they just surrendered.

Reaction Score
as a mets fan, i am pretty pleased.

as much as i love degrom and wish steve cohen had figured out a way to keep him, i do think there's about a 50-50 chance that the contract he signed ends up being terrible value
As a Met fan it sucked seeing Jake go but the reality is hes been injured the las couple of years and although he started off like a house on fire his last few starts did not look good at all. Too much risk for too much money. We won 95 games without him and so far this offseason we have potentially made our rotation better. If the pitching stays healthy and the rookies play to their immense potential the mets will be as good as anyone.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@GemParty I'm sure it's different with your payroll but that was his way with the Rays. Dump your stars if their future projections don't match the $$$ they may make. It's the Rays way. They let go of Longoria, D Price, KK two weeks ago, among other Rays' standbys
Yes, and I was hoping for that approach, plus the ability to spend more than the Rays, but unlike Tampa, Boston isn't getting prospects or when we do they don't pan out.

Reaction Score
@HuskyHawk Great point. I know it may sound simplistic to say that Blooms sole MO is to trade stars at their peak but that's what it looks like. The Rays have made a few mistakes but not as bad as the Mookie-Verdugo mess. Yikes

Reaction Score
Welcome to my world the "Arizona Diamondbacks" they make all the rest of the teams world beaters. We don't have the money to sign JD Martinez cause we need it for AJ Pollock and Paul Goldschmidt. Only to have them both let go. Pollock to LA and Goldschmidt to ST Louis. The list of players they have let go is out of this world.

Reaction Score
Well at least the Red Sox helped their starting pitching staff today by acquiring some guy with a lifetime ERA over 6.00.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Brian Cashman...check :(
Aaron Judge...check!
Carlos Rodon...check!

Reaction Score
It's effort. They to could have sign Bogey last spring for about the same money and less years than what he got from San Diego. He took a discount on his last conract and wanted to stay in Boston, but Bloom and upper management don't care. They've insulted Devers as well with low bal offers.
Epstein used to 'waste' late draft picks on high schoolers he had no chance at signing just to meet them and make a positive impression on them in case they later become a star free agent or available in a later draft.

Reaction Score

Can we trade Bloom back to Tampa for like some second hand cowbell or would you guys demand we sweeten the deal with a prospect or two?

GemParty

Reaction Score
Podcast drops tonight. ⚾️

The NY Times National Baseball writer, Tyler Kepner, the 10 year old podcast star, Joseph, and Dad.

The Sliders & Curveballs Podcast

52CA7EC1-E050-4E51-A415-20D5831E536F.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom