Houston's QB D'Eriq King to Sit Out and Transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston's QB D'Eriq King to Sit Out and Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This probably has more to do with Holgorsen than the conference.

Why risk getting injured if you aren’t playing for anything?

I still think he transfers to a team that uses an offense better suited to his skills.

Reaction Score

I still think he transfers to a team that uses an offense better suited to his skills.
Damn. Can't you say this about...almost every player in college?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I agree but then you get your scholarship pulled. You don't get a free ride to save yourself for another school. In the pros, you sit out to prevent risking an injury and not getting a better deal and you don't get paid. Same should be done in college.

You sit out intentionally, your scholarship gets pulled and figure out what you're going to do financially.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I’m enjoying all of the articles that say a player who has appeared in four games this year is “sitting out the season.” Kinda late for that, no?

Reaction Score
.......or, maybe there are some major issues behind the scenes with a new coach known to be a bit "different". A guy they didn't sign up for and to who they have no real allegiance.

Kids have one real shot at making the League. As long as you aren't cheating, do what you gotta do. Throw all that fake rah-rah stuff in the trash. These conferences used to yank scholarships with impunity. Now, the tables have turned a bit. There will be another rule shift in the other direction before long. I like seeing the talent flex their muscle a bit.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why do people think Holgorson wouldn't want to keep King an extra year? You think he's mad? He's probably thrilled.

If he can keep him, that is.

Reaction Score
I agree but then you get your scholarship pulled. You don't get a free ride to save yourself for another school. In the pros, you sit out to prevent risking an injury and not getting a better deal and you don't get paid. Same should be done in college.

You sit out intentionally, your scholarship gets pulled and figure out what you're going to do financially.

They can’t pull a scholly in the middle of a semester. Paying for the Spring semester at UH is very affordable (<$5k) for Texas residents.

If his parents aren’t wealthy, need based financial aid would pay for most of his full cost of attendance.

Reaction Score
And, here we go. A big baby wants to move because he’s not happy with the team’s success. It’s one thing to move to get playing time and it’s another to be a self indulgent twit.

Reaction Score
I’m enjoying all of the articles that say a player who has appeared in four games this year is “sitting out the season.” Kinda late for that, no?

Nope players can play in 4 games and still keep their redshirt

Reaction Score
And, here we go. A big baby wants to move because he’s not happy with the team’s success. It’s one thing to move to get playing time and it’s another to be a self indulgent twit.

I think it was more about his performance than the team because he has pro aspirations. It’s still a selfish move for a starting senior QB though. I wonder how his teammates feel about it.

Reaction Score
What part of "someplace much better" didn't register?

So you are saying Oliver would have stayed in college if he were in a better conference even though he went in the top half of the first round and some were saying he was the best player in the draft? That's quite a hot take! Impressively stupid..

Last edited:

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Nope players can play in 4 games and still keep their redshirt

I understand that.

My point is he literally can’t be “sitting out the season” if he’s already appeared in four games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is amazing how entitled fans are to think they should be able to dictate how a player plays the one college career he gets. The kid is the one that has to bust his butt on the practice field and in the weight room, and fans are having a sad because he wants some input in how he is used on the field?

Reaction Score
This has all the markings of an agent whispering in his ear.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
People can complain about this all they want, and the outcome will surely suck for G5, but this is a good and fair thing. If I get a 4.0 at some commuter school, and can transfer to Stanford, Id be a fool not to. Likewise, King would be a fool not to do what’s best for his career and to go to a big school.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
People can complain about this all they want, and the outcome will surely suck for G5, but this is a good and fair thing. If I get a 4.0 at some commuter school, and can transfer to Stanford, Id be a fool not to. Likewise, King would be a fool not to do what’s best for his career and to go to a big school.

The G5 should be a net winner if more players transfer. How many former 4* players are there at Alabama or Clemson or Georgia or Ohio State hoping to make the special teams squad their 5th year just to step on the field? Why not just go play at a G5 school?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It is amazing how entitled fans are to think they should be able to dictate how a player plays the one college career he gets. The kid is the one that has to bust his butt on the practice field and in the weight room, and fans are having a sad because he wants some input in how he is used on the field?
Great use of the word “entitled,” but you only get 1/2 credit because you forgot today’s other go to word- “empowered.”

Like everything in life - there is a delicate balance to walk here. Like the fallacy of thrift, if the entire roster did strictly what’s best for themselves at this very moment, about 10 more guys at Houston should (depth guys/guys not fully optimized for their skill set) leave which then sets off another spiral as they flounder playing kids that are not ready (sound familiar?) which then impacts recruiting. Of course, there are some kids that really should just leave. Pretty much every kid not on the two deep as a junior should leave to get more playing time. How would that work?

I’m not advocating either side, but rather to raise the question has the pendulum swung too far to the portal mentality (me first, team second). Time will tell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The G5 should be a net winner if more players transfer. How many former 4* players are there at Alabama or Clemson or Georgia or Ohio State hoping to make the special teams squad their 5th year just to step on the field? Why not just go play at a G5 school?
Ha - welcome to college football. You just started watching? Most five and four stars move to another P5 program, not to G5. The P5 three star kids are much more likely to fall back to G5.

So far - don’t think we have seen much to conclude the portal world is a net win for G5. Too early yet.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Ha - welcome to college football. You just started watching? Most five and four stars move to another P5 program, not to G5. The P5 three star kids are much more likely to fall back to G5.

So far - don’t think we have seen much to conclude the portal world is a net win for G5. Too early yet.

Most of them don't go anywhere. They keep listening to the coaches' lies until their college football career is over and then they are trying to get an unpaid volunteer assistant coach job at their hometown high school while they take their no-show sociology degree from Clemson and get a job at Target, if they are lucky.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Great use of the word “entitled,” but you only get 1/2 credit because you forgot today’s other go to word- “empowered.”

Like everything in life - there is a delicate balance to walk here. Like the fallacy of thrift, if the entire roster did strictly what’s best for themselves at this very moment, about 10 more guys at Houston should (depth guys/guys not fully optimized for their skill set) leave which then sets off another spiral as they flounder playing kids that are not ready (sound familiar?) which then impacts recruiting. Of course, there are some kids that really should just leave. Pretty much every kid not on the two deep as a junior should leave to get more playing time. How would that work?

I’m not advocating either side, but rather to raise the question has the pendulum swung too far to the portal mentality (me first, team second). Time will tell.

Most of the players at Houston are probably smart enough to realize that if they are on a 1-3 G5 team, they are probably not getting on the field for Texas A&M if they transfer there.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Most of them don't go anywhere. They keep listening to the coaches' lies until their college football career is over and then they are trying to get an unpaid volunteer assistant coach job at their hometown high school while they take their no-show sociology degree from Clemson and get a job at Target, if they are lucky.
Deeply negative POV. Life is full of choices - I guess you are arguing they better served never having participated in the entire experience. I disagree. The vast majority finish in a better place than had they never participated.

Reaction Score
Well, it is the REDSHIRT rule that needs changing, not the transfer portal. Play four games and decide to stop playing of your own volition? That should burn the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom