Houston's new arena is NICE and loud: Houston/Oregon | The Boneyard

Houston's new arena is NICE and loud: Houston/Oregon

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
This is great for the American. Houston being a perrenial tournament team is huge for our prestige!

Reaction Score
Be nice to see gampel get an upgrade like this soon

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Be nice to see gampel get an upgrade like this soon

I was thinking through this the other day. So far Gampel has gotten following upgrades:

• Building opens 1990
  • Capacity expansion 2002
  • Scoreboard upgrade 2009
  • Roof replacement 2017

Things to be improved:
  • Swap benches for seatbacks
  • Upgrade to nice seats in lower bowl
  • Concourse expansion already outlined in university Master Plan
  • another scoreboard upgrade?
I literally don't think you can do anything else given the buildings unique configuration. It hurts that you can't add more seats (at least to my knowledge) or any suites or really much for that matter. Would be nice if building could somehow be expanded to 12k but I just wouldn't even know how that could happen.

EDIT: Ok I've gone full mad but I figured out how you expand Gampel. If you took our all the seats on both sidelines and endzones at the upper levels, filled in more concrete to increase the elevation that goes higher up on the wall (there is some gap there that will allow for it) you can get I would maybe another 5 rows all around so figure that's another 1.5-2k seats. That would probably also be a very expensive project, but dare to dream folks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was thinking through this the other day. So far Gampel has gotten following upgrades:

• Building opens 1990
  • Roof replacement 2017

Things to be improved:
I literally don't think you can do anything else given the buildings unique configuration. It hurts that you can't add more seats (at least to my knowledge) or any suites or really much for that matter. Would be nice if building could somehow be expanded to 12k but I just wouldn't even know how that could happen.
Unless they built another gampel.....I know I know no money. But it’s cool to think about

Reaction Score

• Building opens 1990
  • Roof replacement 2017

Things to be improved:

I don't see them adding more seats. In fact, I can see them remove chunks of seats to add more premium seating options.

Would love to see the concourse expanded.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Lorenzo Fertitta went to Houston?

No. His third cousin, Tilman did.

And he's willing to stroke checks.

I'll also say he's willing to be the face of Houston's fundraising efforts. It's nice when your university's chairman of the board of regents is a billionaire and well-known.

Tilman Fertitta - Wikipedia

Tilman Joseph Fertitta (born June 25, 1957) is an American billionaire businessman and television personality. He is the chairman, CEO, and sole owner of Landry's, Inc., one of the largest restaurant corporations in the U.S.[2][3] He also owns the National Basketball Association (NBA)'s Houston Rockets.[4][5]
In 2018, his net worth was estimated at $4.5 billion, placing him at No. 153 on the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans;[1] Forbes calls him the "World's Richest Restaurateur".[6]
Fertitta is chairman of the board of regents of the University of Houston System.[7] Fertitta became the star of Billion Dollar Buyer on CNBC. On September 5, 2017, Fertitta reached an agreement to buy the Houston Rockets for $2.2 billion

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Be nice if they won this game and the shockers hang on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. His third cousin, Tilman did.

And he's willing to stroke checks.

I'll also say he's willing to be the face of Houston's fundraising efforts. It's nice when your university's chairman of the board of regents is a billionaire and well-known.

Tilman Fertitta - Wikipedia

Tilman Joseph Fertitta (born June 25, 1957) is an American billionaire businessman and television personality. He is the chairman, CEO, and sole owner of Landry's, Inc., one of the largest restaurant corporations in the U.S.[2][3] He also owns the National Basketball Association (NBA)'s Houston Rockets.[4][5]
In 2018, his net worth was estimated at $4.5 billion, placing him at No. 153 on the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans;[1] Forbes calls him the "World's Richest Restaurateur".[6]
Fertitta is chairman of the board of regents of the University of Houston System.[7] Fertitta became the star of Billion Dollar Buyer on CNBC. On September 5, 2017, Fertitta reached an agreement to buy the Houston Rockets for $2.2 billion
It's insane how much money all these Fertitta's have. I assumed it was all family oil money but it seems like they are all self made billionaires.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This Houston arena looks like a miniature version of the Rockets arena.

Reaction Score
Solid conference ... to a point

Cincinnati
Wichita State
Houston
UConn
Temple

All playing well and tough and tourney possible (nope ... not all MM). But I see better teams than the BiG East

I’m not sold on UCF. I know they beat Alabama

SMU & Tulsa are just OK

USF, Tulane, ECU, suck

Reaction Score
So...who still wants to rejoin the Catholic schools now?

That arena looks fancy.

Reaction Score
I could see five bids if there is separation from the also rans.

Reaction Score
They can add seats at Gampel at the top of the upper side sections that do not go to back wall. This would be easy and not cost much as the 2 sections that do go to the top now are built off plywood risers. I would like to see a Gampel renovation that puts all chairback seats in and eliminates the inside arena walk around sidewalk and puts seats from the court to the ceiling. So much wasted space.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't think we will see the concourse until after the new hockey arena.

Reaction Score
They can add seats at Gampel at the top of the upper side sections that do not go to back wall. This would be easy and not cost much as the 2 sections that do go to the top now are built off plywood risers. I would like to see a Gampel renovation that puts all chairback seats in and eliminates the inside arena walk around sidewalk and puts seats from the court to the ceiling. So much wasted space.

There might be a major problem with emergency egress if the mid-level walkway is filled with additional rows of seats. There would be no access to any exits, in fact, except from the two upper level end zones if I'm picturing things correctly.
I have wondered if it would be possible to cantilever a full 360 degree ring of added seats above the existing top rows. Again, egress might be a problem. Plus, if they continue to draw small crowds there's no need to add any seats.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Houston might blow this. Once their 3 point shooting stops they are not much. They barely hung on. Almost blew a 20 point lead.
Thanks for the update. I watched the first half. Cougars blowing them away. Did not see the second half. Looked they were handling Bok(?) okay. I was wondering if Houston is for real. Teams before last night were solid cupcakes. First half Oregon did not look like a #18. Like I said, only saw first half.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
IS CR dead enough where we want teams from the league to do well?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom