Houston were the far better team | The Boneyard

Houston were the far better team

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
1) I hope they don't choke in the tourney this year.

2) I hope Hurley remembers this loss, and the players remember this loss, and the program remembers this loss as we build out a more familiar, traditionally UConn-level roster over the next couple of years. And I hope that every time we see this team, we try to beat them by 60.

This is humiliating. We need to make them suffer for it.

Looking forward to Year 2 of the Hurley Era.

Reaction Score
Not 40 points better. Hurley needs to own this one. A total momentum kill going into the off season. If we don’t get a couple impact grad transfers for next year, It could be another long season.

Hurley is the right man for the job. That said, I really hope that this is the nadir for this program. It seems like every offseason I'm convinced that we hit rock bottom the year before but this team continually surprises me. Pathetic showing today. Our talent level isn't enough to compete for top 5 in the AAC let alone make noise nationally. It's not just talent either - this team routinely spaced out mentally and oftentimes showed no hustle at all.

I'm excited for the recruits next year but the rot is deeper than just replacing a few players. KO really did a number on this program. Hurley is the man and he's got great experience turning around programs, but this may be the biggest recovery necessary for a blue blood since Indiana/UCLA last decade.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
We've become the Florida Marlins, late 90s/early 00s.

Reaction Score
They are, but we didn't appear to be physically or mentally capable of playing 2 games in 2 days both times we tried it this year (Iowa, today). Tells you all you need to know.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
We should be better next year...better than what we saw today, for sure. Don't think we're a tournament team until the following year though.

Reaction Score

2) I hope Hurley remembers this loss, and the players remember this loss, and the program remembers this loss as we build out a more familiar, traditionally UConn-level roster over the next couple of years. And I hope that every time we see this team, we try to beat them by 60.

Year 2 could be even tougher without Jalen. We are on the right track but we all need to have patience.

Reaction Score

I think next year is going to be tough too, So many teams are improving and some really talented and well coached teams in this league now.

Reaction Score
Glad I couldn’t watch. This sounds like it was Villanova Part 2. I watched that game with a bunch of Villanova fans (who thankfully let me pretend the game never happened). They lost it in that game and Hurley didn’t do a good job at resetting them to play out the game. I don’t think this time quits... I think that when everything goes wrong, they give up playing team ball and the all run around like a middle school team trying to make steals and hit threes. It’s the coach’s job to teach them how to get through those frenzies.

On the whole, the season was a step in the right direction, but I was hoping for better. I’ll give some benefit of the doubt because these aren’t Hurley’s players and the injuries. “Wait til next year! (Or the year after that)”

Reaction Score
I think I heard a radio announcer say that this was the worst offensive game for the men's team in 40 years!

Reaction Score
Agree that Houston was far better, but this was an epic 2nd half collapse. Embarrassing to close out the year like that.
Indeed! I was expecting a .500 season this year. But this game leaves a bad taste in my mouth. My expectations are RAISED for next year. No worse than NIT bound. I don't think this expectation is unrealistic!

Reaction Score
We shot horribly. I'm more disappointed in the defensive performance. It's not exactly a newsflash but this team gives up so many offensive rebounds and 2nd chances. When u stink, the margin is too slim for that. What really strikes you about this UConn team when they play the better teams is how much better we need to get athletically across the board. The need for bigs, rebounding and shooting are obvious, but the better teams have athletes with developed bodies WITH skill.

Reaction Score
Our overall record isn't a shock even though I thought we might have a 20 win season before Jalen went down. It's year 1 of 3 year re-build as I see it so next year I expect to be better & the year after I expect we'll be near the top of the league. We made improvements this year and we march on.

Can't dwell on the last 3 years just have to look forward and hopefully in a couple of years we look like Houston does now. I'll be rooting for the AAC in the tournament, helps the league profile and puts money in the coffers.

Reaction Score
If you can't see the improvements this team made this year -- you weren't watching close enough. Don't think we could've asked for much more out of Hurley in a rollercoaster of a first year -- from Cuse to the injury bug, and finally to today. In Hurley I trust. Hope everyone has enjoyed beating up on us the past few years, because that's not going to last much longer.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
We should be better next year...better than what we saw today, for sure. Don't think we're a tournament team until the following year though.
We were better all THIS year than we were today.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Disappointed with the season overall. Losing Diarra all year, Yawke 75% of the year and Jalen and Al for extended periods really limited us. Here are the guys with remaining eligibility:
  • Al looks like a stud when healthy
  • Carlton took some big steps
  • Vital showed he could pass and make good decisions at least 50% of the time instead of 0%
  • Polley took baby steps. Actually played D on occasion.
  • Sid showed flashes of brilliance but was wildly inconsistent. He's the basketball equivalent of a sparkler.
  • Whaley was invisible before yesterday
  • B. Adams looked like a guy who can contribute as a junior and senior. He does compete.
  • Diarra: DNP
Next year's team will be better despite losing Jalen. We are bringing in three shooters and losing one. Bringing in a shot blocker and losing none (Yawke didn't play enough). We have one official open ship. Has to be a center. I suspect at least one other spot will free up.

Steve

Reaction Score
Talent Talent and more talent. That is what we need at this point. We have gone long stretches without making shots this year. Wasn’t it Memphis where we went 7-8 minutes? But when you do it against a Top 10 team you are going to suffer. This is the Houston team that blew Cincy out by 25 the other night and we are nowhere near Cincinattis level of talent. Houston is playing at a very high level right now which makes it worse.

Reaction Score
Talent Talent and more talent. That is what we need at this point. We have gone long stretches without making shots this year. Wasn’t it Memphis where we went 7-8 minutes? But when you do it against a Top 10 team you are going to suffer. This is the Houston team that blew Cincy out by 25 the other night and we are nowhere near Cincinattis level of talent. Houston is playing at a very high level right now which makes it worse.
Definitely not enough incoming yet. This rebuild is starting to look painfully slowwwwwwwww.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom