Houston, We Have a Problem | The Boneyard

Houston, We Have a Problem

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The last time UConn lost a regular season game was the 2014 OT game at Stanford by a score of 88-86. The next game the Huskies played was against Creighton. The Bluejays lost to the Huskies by 36, with UConn basically pulling all of the starters in the 4th qtr.

The Houston Cougars find themselves in a similar position, after the Huskies had their worst shooting performance in 20 years while losing at Baylor on Thursday. So far this season Houston is 6-7. Their best performance was an 80-79 loss to Cal, a team that continues to disappoint after a nice start.

While I'm sure Houston will put up a fight, UConn will likely want to make a statement in this game, and that can't be good for the Cougars. In the words of astronaut Jack Swigert, "Houston, we have a problem."

Reaction Score
The last time UConn lost a regular season game was the 2014 OT game at Stanford by a score of 88-86. The next game the Huskies played was against Creighton. The Bluejays lost to the Huskies by 36, with UConn basically pulling all of the starters in the 4th qtr.

The Houston Cougars find themselves in a similar position, after the Huskies had their worst shooting performance in 20 years while losing at Baylor on Thursday. So far this season Houston is 6-7. Their best performance was an 80-79 loss to Cal, a team that continues to disappoint after a nice start.

While I'm sure Houston will put up a fight, UConn will likely want to make a statement in this game, and that can't be good for the Cougars. In the words of astronaut Jack Swigert, "Houston, we have a problem."
I just don't believe top teams have statement games by going out and pounding an inferior opponent by 40+. What's the statement? We can hammer you but we can't hammer Baylor? IMO, you make your statement by going out and beating a good or even superior team. I would think the confidence boost would come from actually playing well against ranked and dangerous teams. Although there may be more dangerous teams for UConn out there than many people think.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While in theory I agree, this UCONN team has problems (as do all teams this year - parity!!). They struggled against St John's, needed a comeback in the 4th quarter to beat a 5-7 Oklahoma team, and struggled against #14 Cal ("struggle" is a relative term, but in the past, it's a team we would have put away by 20+). It's not just teams like Baylor with talented bigs. For all our #1 recruits (we actually start 5 kids who were ranked in the top 5 coming out of HS), something is missing, and smaller teams have given us fits too.

This is the season that many fans said they wanted, but many of those same fans are up in arms criticizing the team and whining about anything and everything.

While I think Houston is over matched, I don't think this is a UCONN team that has the toughness or chemistry/genetics to play mad but under control. We don't have a Kia Nurse type of leader.

In the past we'd demolish Houston by 40-50. I think it will be closer to a 30 point win this time. I expect the shooting to be much better as Houston does not have the size to bother our shooters like Baylor did, nor do they have the athleticism to stay in our faces, even off screens, as UCONN runs its' offense. We will see soon enough tho.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I just don't believe top teams have statement games by going out and pounding an inferior opponent by 40+. What's the statement? We can hammer you but we can't hammer Baylor? IMO, you make your statement by going out and beating a good or even superior team. I would think the confidence boost would come from actually playing well against ranked and dangerous teams. Although there may be more dangerous teams for UConn out there than many people think.
We can disagree over semantics but there are a number of things that UConn needs to do in the game tomorrow, even if it’s only vs Houston. The Huskies need to demonstrate the ability to execute their offense and make shots. I also expect Geno to substitute more liberally to try out some different combinations. I expect UConn to be intensely focused, not only for the Houston game, but for the rest of the season as well.

Reaction Score
While in theory I agree, this UCONN team has problems. They struggled against St John's, needed a comeback in the 4th quarter to beat a 5-7 Oklahoma team, and struggled against #14 Cal ("struggle" is a relative term, but in the past, it's a team we would have put away by 20+).

I the past we'd demolish Houston by 40-50. I think it will be closer to a 30 point win this time. I expect the shooting to be much better as Houston does not have the size to bother our shooters like Baylor did, nor do they have the athleticism to stay in our faces even off screens as UCONN runs its' offense.

Agreed...........what happened to those that were wistfully looking for teams that would give UConn a game? They could beat Houston by 10 or 100 and it really would make very little difference ....................the bottom line is that UConn needs to be better prepared to compete physically and mentally when tournament time comes against the best competition.....................that's when the season really starts.........

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agreed......what happened to those that were wistfully looking for teams that would give UConn a game? They could beat Houston by 10 or 100 and it really would make very little difference .....the bottom line is that UConn needs to be better prepared to compete physically and mentally when tournament time comes against the best competition......that's when the season really starts....
One of the BY’s illustrious Irish fans made an excellent point the other day when he indicated that you disrespect your opponent when you take them for granted or assume that a loss only happens when you play badly.

I can guarantee you that Geno and the team are not taking Houston for granted. What’s more, the season does not start in March. It’s going on right now, and every time the team laces up their Nike’s is an opportunity to get better on their way to the Big Dance.

Reaction Score
One of the BY’s illustrious Irish fans made an excellent point the other day when he indicated that you disrespect your opponent when you take them for granted or assume that a loss only happens when you play badly.

I can guarantee you that Geno and the team are not taking Houston for granted. What’s more, the season does not start in March. It’s going on right now, and every time the team laces up their Nike’s is an opportunity to get better on their way to the Big Dance.

very true, just saying that quality of play should be building as the team gets closer to March..............if they beat Houston by 100 points it would mean very little if they are playing flat heading into the tournament

Reaction Score

Getting better is after all the whole point of the regular season. Be sure these opportunities to improve will not be wasted. Some of what went wrong in Waco is owned by the Huskies and some is to the credit of Baylor. Ya just gotta get up off the deck, dust your self off and pull together. Go huskies!

Reaction Score
While in theory I agree, this UCONN team has problems (as do all teams this year - parity!!). They struggled against St John's, needed a comeback in the 4th quarter to beat a 5-7 Oklahoma team, and struggled against #14 Cal ("struggle" is a relative term, but in the past, it's a team we would have put away by 20+). It's not just teams like Baylor with talented bigs. For all our #1 recruits (we actually start 5 kids who were ranked in the top 5 coming out of HS), something is missing, and smaller teams have given us fits too.

This is the season that many fans said they wanted, but many of those same fans are up in arms criticizing the team and whining about anything and everything.

While I think Houston is over matched, I don't think this is a UCONN team that has the toughness or chemistry/genetics to play mad but under control. We don't have a Kia Nurse type of leader.

In the past we'd demolish Houston by 40-50. I think it will be closer to a 30 point win this time. I expect the shooting to be much better as Houston does not have the size to bother our shooters like Baylor did, nor do they have the athleticism to stay in our faces, even off screens, as UCONN runs its' offense. We will see soon enough tho.

I don't agree with all you say here, but much of it. I think OD was saying Houston HAS a problem not UConn. I too don't think it is great to pummel a team simply because you lost the last one. I would hope Geno and Staff use Houston as one of many opportunities to evolve the bench to some semblance of a basketball team with more than "1" as it's depth. If Geno ever turns Touly loose you will see some bodies flying..

Reaction Score
We can disagree over semantics but there are a number of things that UConn needs to do in the game tomorrow, even if it’s only vs Houston. The Huskies need to demonstrate the ability to execute their offense and make shots. I also expect Geno to substitute more liberally to try out some different combinations. I expect UConn to be intensely focused, not only for the Houston game, but for the rest of the season as well.
I see your point and they may well execute and make shots......against Houston. But I'm just not sure that will necessarily help prepare them for their next high level opponent, possibly Louisville. They need work against tough, physical defense that takes them out of sync and they might be able to get some of that from practice. The coaches may already be doing some of this but having the male practice players play that bump and hold up tight with an extra defender on the floor could help them be ready for the next team with the capability and maybe size that messes them up. I agree that their focus will be there but they're a finesse team that has to learn to play against that pressure because obviously, everybody out there knows the blueprint and they'll use it if they're physically capable of simulating it.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN could beat Huston by 100 points and there would be no "message" in this game. I'm much more interested in how UCONN spends the next couple of days in Texas from a recruiting standpoint.

Reaction Score
UCONN could beat Huston by 100 points and there would be no "message" in this game. I'm much more interested in how UCONN spends the next couple of days in Texas from a recruiting standpoint.
HeHe.... I see what you said there. Yes, it would be nice to round them both up.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don’t get hung up on the “statement/message.” After 3 straight, less than impressive games, Uconn needs a solid win where they execute their offense, shoot the ball well and get everyone
involved, including the bench. It doesn’t really matter if the Huskies are playing against the Sisters of the Poor.

Reaction Score
We have met the enemy.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Actually, the Houston Texans may be blown out worse than the Cougars. 21-0 at the half. Could be worse.
The Houston crowd may not be in a good mood prior to the game. :rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Actually, the Houston Texans may be blown out worse than the Cougars. 21-0 at the half. Could be worse.
The Houston crowd may not be in a good mood prior to the game. :rolleyes:
I suspect there won’t be a lot of Houston Texan fans watching WBB tomorrow. Houston WBB typically draws around 800 fans for home games, although I’m guessing there will be quite a few more showing up tomorrow with the circus in town.

Reaction Score
UConn by 50+. The women will be out for revenge after a loss. New attitude - take no prisoners.

Reaction Score
I think the last 3 games have showed teams how to play UConn. Slow it down and don't have any live ball turnovers. Make UConn run half court offense. I don't think anyone in the AAC can beat UConn, but I think the scores are going to be a lot closer than people are accustomed to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom