Houston New Football Stadium | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston New Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think the low attendance is due to the general public's apathy or "meh" attitude towards Uconn football. If a big time opponent is visiting then people will turn out because it's a marquee event. As for regular games, people feel like there's something better to do or it's too much effort involved to go to the game especially as it gets colder.

Reaction Score
If people make an event of it after graduating why has attendance dropped after 10 years of classes post-upgrade?

It it boils down to winning then it has nothing to do with staying connected to the University.

Paul Pasqualoni

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Paul Pasqualoni

Ticket sales dropped as the team got better. They were better for the non-bowl teams in 2005/2006 and dropped coming off the Fiesta Bowl before most realized what a debacle PP was.

Reaction Score
Jeff Hathaway

C'mon Man ... you have to let me have a scapegoat.

Reaction Score
Ticket sales dropped as the team got better. They were better for the non-bowl teams in 2005/2006 and dropped coming off the Fiesta Bowl before most realized what a debacle PP was.
I'm telling you, it's our kids. They have to be registered for some activity 52 weeks of the year and the geniuses running things figure they should take up our weekends.

Reaction Score
More responsible than Pasqualoni for sure.

Maybe we should change the THREAD NAME.

Here's my take on aspects/State of our Programs:

1. Students? This is a variable that can be addressed; and we are NOT like any other Program in the country (though, some have parallels). A Diaco ... (or in hoop) a Ollie ... needs to reach the students aggressively and often. Pep Rallies; bonfires; treats. Get them excited; get the team amongst them. I think we don't have to follow any other trend nationally. We need to get the buy-in that comes with it being cool and fun thing to do on Saturdays and Weekday nights. Our advantage ... WTF is better to do in Storrs? This is cheap entertainment and can easily drink some ... with a RIDE home.

2. Alumni/CT population? I truly believe that the Tailgate is far better than 2003-2006; and getting better as folks have fun and enjoy these good Autumn games. That's kinda the key: we have to have entertaining team ... and be competitive. I don't think our Fanbase expects world-beaters; but Edsall did show that we can win against fairly name opponents. And ... frankly ... we aren't going from playing Michigan and Ohio State to the AAC. We played a watered-down Syracuse and Pitt. We played Rutgers and Louisville. SMU? UCF? Navy? As much as you want to whine about it, Boneyard, I think we are still playing Bigboy football. It's not UNH and URI. We need to win at this level. To be Rutgers ... and be playing Iowa next weekend> ? That is a good dream. And, we can get there. NEED to shore up the Fanbase and travel and do all the things that Universities who have been at this level for 60 years do; and, we have just done for 15.

3. Needless to say, we saw what damage a poor Program leader can do to UConn. I don't believe Warde Manuel could have fired PP any faster. Thank God he is out.

4. ALL our AD needs to push out boundaries. We can do this far better than Syracuse and Rutgers. Our Men's BB Team can be far more Branded Winners in NYC and metro Boston; and your NE team of excellence. The Women's BB Team needs to be pushed; it can be the UCLA of the Sport & should be showcased all over the US. Like ND football or UCLA in 1967-1075. Play the Astrodome (or this millennium's equivalent). Push Men's Soccer to win titles. Make the TV eyeballs want to see us. I think we easily piss about our conference. MY strategy is what Geno said: "We are in a League of OUR Own."

Reaction Score
Actually, the post did not allude to anything beyond fairly clear factual information. Run of the mill analysis may be required of basic math, relative amenities, regular seat versus club/box seating revenues, a comparison of a so-called Power 5 conference team with an AAC program both located in Texas, declining attendance at many schools, etc., but no allusions are required.

To help clarify the factual considerations, this related article may make the point easier to appreciate. Times, technology, and economics have changed.
that's why I've never been all that concerned with our capacity. 38000 in a 40,000 seat facility, or 43000 like for Michigan, is great. The place can really rock. The same crowd in a 55000 seat arena is lame and its awful in a 75000 house. Most of these huge stadiums were built in a very different era. If you wanted to see the game you had to go to the game. Now with the new technology, from online coverage to recording games to large screen hd tv, not to mention virtually every game available on something, it is possible to watch, and actually get a better view than is possible in the stadium. I agree that some of the electricity of actually being there is missing. But that's about all. And that doesn't even consider things like ticket prices, scheduling midweek night games that start at 8 pm in late November/December in New England, scheduling teams such that they go weeks and weeks without any home games, sometime multiple weeks without any games, and all sorts of other stuff that is done for tv. 2013 saw a slight increase in attendance after 3 consecutive years of decline among 1A schools. And a number of schools are seeing what could be a scary harbinger of the future, declining student ticket sales. Alabama, for example, didn't sell out its allotment of student tickets last year. Texas too. Penn State has seen attendance drop every year since 2009. the big programs continue to draw, of course. It is the middle tier in major conferences that don't necessarily do so well. Baylor had its best attendance in years last season at 45,900. And they had both Texas and Oklahoma on their home schedule and won the conference. Its good attendance but not even close to full capacity.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Houston built a really nice stadium. I can see them competing for good TX area talent for years to come. If you strip away the P5 vs G5 labels, there really isn't much difference between TCU and Houston.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I'd like UCONN to expand, at some point, to 55K and cap it there. My dream would be for a 3rd deck on the UCONN sideline side, adding an elevated 2nd deck on the scoreboard side, and constructing a state-of-the-art sports bar/lounge area between first and 2nd levels on the scoreboard side. My ultimate dream would be to add foundation support to allow for covered seating to give the Rent a Quest Field-like acoustic feel. Make 55K sound like 100K.

Reaction Score
Actually college football has done a horrible job on making the experience worth the price.
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/12/02/Colleges/College-tickets.aspx
What is particularly troubling is that even season ticket holders are only moderately satisfied with the experience.
E2414689E1FF4AFBBBDC8F572D94526D.ashx

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's the whole debate: why go to the stadium instead of staying at home and watching on your own big screen HDTV? If UCONN expands/renovates with that in mind, they could create a very special stadium. Not worry about getting the stadium to 100K so much as worrying about how to best make the 50-55K comfortable and enjoy their experience. Chairbacks for everyone, add a sports bar/lounge area for the casual fans, covered seating areas for fan comfort and acoustic effects, multiple HD video boards to enhance in-game replays, and a larger offering of food/drink services.

Reaction Score
It's the whole debate: why go to the stadium instead of staying at home and watching on your own big screen HDTV? If UCONN expands/renovates with that in mind, they could create a very special stadium. Not worry about getting the stadium to 100K so much as worrying about how to best make the 50-55K comfortable and enjoy their experience. Chairbacks for everyone, add a sports bar/lounge area for the casual fans, covered seating areas for fan comfort and acoustic effects, multiple HD video boards to enhance in-game replays, and a larger offering of food/drink services.
Those are all great things, but how does the state justify that kind of investment with only a single tenant, UConn, playing six games per year in that facility? You've got to have other tenants, maybe some kind of pro soccer team (MLS*?), concerts, and lots of other events to break even on that proposition. And I haven't seen the commitment to doing that yet.

* Yes, I know MLS is out because Kraft thinks it's too close to Foxboro. I'll take his complaints seriously when he builds a new stadium and actually invests in that franchise.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The suites and press box is on the visitor's side at Rentscher.

Didn't they open with the home team in front of the suites? Then they moved after realizing how cold the shade got late in the year. I'm not positive.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
Didn't they open with the home team in front of the suites? Then they moved after realizing how cold the shade got late in the year. I'm not positive.
No, since the IU opener I believe UCONN's always been on the sunny side.

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
that's why I've never been all that concerned with our capacity. 38000 in a 40,000 seat facility, or 43000 like for Michigan, is great. The place can really rock. I agree that some of the electricity of actually being there is missing.

Fortunately, Hathaway and his PP/GDL hiring cluster farks are gone, it's a new season, people want to believe again, and there's rays of sunshine on the horizon. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
No you are thinking of Memorial Stadium. Edsall moved to the sunny side after his first season.

Reaction Score
Rutgers knew.

I think this "save the Taxpayers" chant by some here miss the point. If the B1G tells you that - in order to qualify for membership - you need to modernize your stadium and get it over 50,000, 90% of us would now scream - "Do it". I believe Tim Pernetti got that advisement. There was a push to do a Stadium in 2008 (and Louisville saw this too/or was advised) and we didn't move. And we could have ... as I have said 10 times ... our Stadium expansion would not be on the Taxpayers. It would be just collapsing the original bonds and recapitalizing the NEW larger facility because we certainly have the ratios to expand by 10,000 seats.

I love the whining though. Makes my heart feel that you are watching every penny of CT government.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Pudge,
You ought to know by now that if you could have a cure for cancer and world peace but it would cost taxpayers an extra nickle, it would be a pretty close vote. My guess is it loses 51-49 in the current climate. Expanding the stadium, which I believe was not in fact bonded, would be opposed by the usual suspects. for the record, I don't oppose an expansion, but I get that in all the competition going to the game is no longer the big thing it once was for all the reasons listed. Itis why Baylor replaced their 52000 seat stadium with a 45,000 seat one and Stanford eliminated 5,000 seats from theirs when they renovated and when people build stadiums today they tend to be smaller rather than larger with pre-designed expansion potential.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I guess Tulane isn't the only conference member building a new on campus stadium for next year. Here is Houston's, which is bigger than Tulane's. I really like the stadium design of this one especially the outside. http://houstonfootballstadium.com/home/

Edit: Also interesting to note that beer will be sold in this stadium as well. That's two on campus facilities (Tulane, UH) and one off campus facility (UConn) that I know of so far in our conference that are selling beer during games.
A couple dozen schools (both on and off campus) sell beer. It's not an NCAA rule per se, but 100% of the onus is on the organizing body, i.e. who pays the bills. The NCAA did request arenas to suspend alcohol sales during the Basketball Tournaments and there was no beer on sale at MSG in March. Also, I believe most on campus venues were not originally build back in the day with beer sales in mind and lack the infrastructure. Off campus venues are traditionally not owned by the school and host other commercial events. So it is up to the school if they are to allow alcohol sales, but as I said, the onus for insurance, security, etc. is on the School and typically manifest itself through the rent payments...as I understand it.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken the NCAA doesn't request no alcohol to be sold at NCAA Tournament games they absolutely require it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken the NCAA doesn't request no alcohol to be sold at NCAA Tournament games they absolutely require it.
You are correct. It is part of their Alcohol Policy regarding championships. But regular season, conference tournaments, and bowl games are left up to the respective home team and governing bodies. When I say it's not an NCAA rule per se, I'm referring to on campus venues.

Alcohol Advertising
The NCAA is concerned about alcohol abuse linked to athletics events. As a result, the Association strictly limits alcohol advertising during championship events and works to educate student-athletes and fans about the abuses of alcohol.

As with all NCAA policy, this is one determined not by the NCAA national office staff but by leadership from the membership. The NCAA provides its members with resources to assist in educating student-athletes and creating and maintaining an environment that promotes healthy choices about alcohol.

Championship Policy -
•The NCAA has for years banned sales and venue advertising of all alcohol at its 88 championships. Host sites are required to cover up any ads for alcoholic drinks.
•The NCAA does not control the regular season in any sport, nor does it run the postseason for the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision. Individual schools and conferences oversee the regular season, including game operations, broadcasting and advertising. The postseason for Division I Football Bowl Subdivision is controlled by the Bowl Championship Series and individual bowl committees.

Advertising Policy -
•The NCAA limits alcohol advertising during telecasts of its championships to no more than 60 seconds per hour during a broadcast, and it prohibits ads for all beverages where the alcoholic content exceeds six percent. Many of the alcohol ads contain language stressing the legal and responsible use of alcohol.
•Pregame and postgame telecasts are not under NCAA control and not subject to NCAA policy.
•In August 2008, the NCAA Executive Committee affirmed the Association's alcohol policy, including for advertising, describing it as very conservative and appropriate. Moreover, there have not been any proposals from the NCAA membership to change the Association's alcohol advertising policy.

Reaction Score
Maybe we should change the THREAD NAME.

Here's my take on aspects/State of our Programs:

1. Students? This is a variable that can be addressed; and we are NOT like any other Program in the country (though, some have parallels). A Diaco ... (or in hoop) a Ollie ... needs to reach the students aggressively and often. Pep Rallies; bonfires; treats. Get them excited; get the team amongst them. I think we don't have to follow any other trend nationally. We need to get the buy-in that comes with it being cool and fun thing to do on Saturdays and Weekday nights. Our advantage ... WTF is better to do in Storrs? This is cheap entertainment and can easily drink some ... with a RIDE home.

2. Alumni/CT population? I truly believe that the Tailgate is far better than 2003-2006; and getting better as folks have fun and enjoy these good Autumn games. That's kinda the key: we have to have entertaining team ... and be competitive. I don't think our Fanbase expects world-beaters; but Edsall did show that we can win against fairly name opponents. And ... frankly ... we aren't going from playing Michigan and Ohio State to the AAC. We played a watered-down Syracuse and Pitt. We played Rutgers and Louisville. SMU? UCF? Navy? As much as you want to whine about it, Boneyard, I think we are still playing Bigboy football. It's not UNH and URI. We need to win at this level. To be Rutgers ... and be playing Iowa next weekend> ? That is a good dream. And, we can get there. NEED to shore up the Fanbase and travel and do all the things that Universities who have been at this level for 60 years do; and, we have just done for 15.

3. Needless to say, we saw what damage a poor Program leader can do to UConn. I don't believe Warde Manuel could have fired PP any faster. Thank God he is out.

4. ALL our AD needs to push out boundaries. We can do this far better than Syracuse and Rutgers. Our Men's BB Team can be far more Branded Winners in NYC and metro Boston; and your NE team of excellence. The Women's BB Team needs to be pushed; it can be the UCLA of the Sport & should be showcased all over the US. Like ND football or UCLA in 1967-1075. Play the Astrodome (or this millennium's equivalent). Push Men's Soccer to win titles. Make the TV eyeballs want to see us. I think we easily piss about our conference. MY strategy is what Geno said: "We are in a League of OUR Own."

Reaction Score
You are correct. It is part of their Alcohol Policy regarding championships. But regular season, conference tournaments, and bowl games are left up to the respective home team and governing bodies. When I say it's not an NCAA rule per se, I'm referring to on campus venues.

And if there is ever a choice between the Big 10 and the ACC you take the Big 10 because they sell beer at their tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom