OT: - Houston in April | The Boneyard

OT: Houston in April

Reaction Score
Traveling there in late April

This will probably be moved to travel soon but usually get some good replies here. I know plenty of you have been for business and/or basketball

Staying in the medical/museum area. Know midtown is supposed to be the main bar/restaurant area. There for a long weekend for a mini-conference, won’t have a car, I’m good with public transit and plan on using to get to midtown and wherever else

29 and single

I’m pretty big on craft beer but will drink anything so don’t hold back on cocktail bar recommendations

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You'll need Uber if you don't have a car. I was really surprised about Houston. I liked it quite a bit. Good food, I do like the cool galleries and museums they have, lot of oil money. I stayed near Rice but I traveled all over. My only question about what you wrote was public transport. The city is sprawling and I saw no infrastructure for that. I rented a car.

Reaction Score
Where you are staying just use uber. I mean you can try and figure out the buses but....

Reaction Score
You'll need Uber if you don't have a car. I was really surprised about Houston. I liked it quite a bit. Good food, I do like the cool galleries and museums they have, lot of oil money. I stayed near Rice but I traveled all over. My only question about what you wrote was public transport. The city is sprawling and I saw no infrastructure for that. I rented a car.
Looks like there’s a light rail (red, green, and purple lines I can see). And yeah I’m staying right by rice, right at the medical area, where there is a stop on the red line that takes you through midtown and then up north. Looks like there is plenty midtown so I wouldn’t need to go all over like you said you did; and thus wouldn’t need a car

Reaction Score
Looks like there’s a light rail (red, green, and purple lines I can see). And yeah I’m staying right by rice, right at the medical area, where there is a stop on the red line that takes you through midtown and then up north. Looks like there is plenty midtown so I wouldn’t need to go all over like you said you did; and thus wouldn’t need a car

We were taken around by Houston people, and a lot of the best food was from strip malls in the city. The museums/galleries were also in neighborhoods, and not the business district.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You can take a bus from Bush airport downtown for around $1. My bus driver had some serious skills - they have access roads than run parallel to the north-south highway between the airport and city and she could hop on/hop off in rush hour traffic, skipping traffic lights on the road and slowdowns on the highway. That was literally the highlight of my business trip. That and chatting with a Minnesota mayor in a bar who knew Franken, Omar and a bunch of other politicians.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is as of 2011, but I think it’s still legit:

First, hit The Ginger Man. This is the OG craft beer bar, i.e., the first one that became a chain that ultimately expanded to NYC and SoNo (the owners of which also own Cask Republic in New Haven). The Houston one is very laid back and very cool imo, with a great dart board and patio area. Good Vietnamese food nearby iirc.

The Flying Saucer is a regional craft beer chain and it is very good. Had an excellent and wide selection of all the best local and regional craft beers and very decent food in a nice setting.

Hugo’s is an excellent higher end Mexican restaurant. Like one of the best I’ve ever been to. Incredible brunch there also.

We had a rental car but also used a lot of the light rail. IIRC Flying Saucer was close to a light rail stop, but it was quite a walk to the Ginger Man from the closest stop.

There are some great live music venues in town, too, if that’s an interest. Carolyn Wonderland is the hometown hero and if she is playing around make a point to see her.

Reaction Score
This is as of 2011, but I think it’s still legit:

First, hit The Ginger Man. This is the OG craft beer bar, i.e., the first one that became a chain that ultimately expanded to NYC and SoNo (the owners of which also own Cask Republic in New Haven). The Houston one is very laid back and very cool imo, with a great dart board and patio area. Good Vietnamese food nearby iirc.

The Flying Saucer is a regional craft beer chain and it is very good. Had an excellent and wide selection of all the best local and regional craft beers and very decent food in a nice setting.

Hugo’s is an excellent higher end Mexican restaurant. Like one of the best I’ve ever been to. Incredible brunch there also.

We had a rental car but also used a lot of the light rail. IIRC Flying Saucer was close to a light rail stop, but it was quite a walk to the Ginger Man from the closest stop.

There are some great live music venues in town, too, if that’s an interest. Carolyn Wonderland is the hometown hero and if she is playing around make a point to see her.
You speak to me my friend. Thanks

Flying Saucer was already on the list!

Reaction Score
Goode Seafood was also very good. I had this huge Shrimp tower dish that might have been called campechana. That and the oysters were delicious.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Goode Seafood was also very good. I had this huge Shrimp tower dish that might have been called campechana. That and the oysters were delicious.
I wonder if anyone in the Goode family named their kid Johnny with a middle name starting with B. Don't think I'd be able to resist doing that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom