Hot button - is expansion done? | The Boneyard

Hot button - is expansion done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Realignment over?

73% of the readers voted no, that's not too surprising. Though I doubt if too many of them consider BYU joining the BE as "not done yet". Interesting that the two writers they recruited to have opposing viewpoints don't sound too far apart - Maisel concludes it's done for a few years, Schabach says it could start up in a couple years. Schlabach speculates Boise/BYU might be Big12 targets in the future, which would suck if UConn is still stuck in the NNBE - those would be two solid football additions that the league would have lost.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I had a dream last night (I fully realize how pathetic this is)... that UConn ended up in the Pac12 with Rutgers. A bunch of us Boneyarders had some sort of roundtable with Herbst and Manuel, saying how unhappy we were with the NNBE... then lawyers came in and we had to sign non-disclosure agreements... and they said "We are about to announce our membership in the Pac12... we know it's not ideal but it was our only option." And we talked ourselves in to it being cool cause of some of the teams we'd get to play.

I can't be held responsible for my unconscious mind!

Reaction Score
Everything indicates either us or Louisville are next in line.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I had a dream last night (I fully realize how pathetic this is)... that UConn ended up in the Pac12 with Rutgers. A bunch of us Boneyarders had some sort of roundtable with Herbst and Manuel, saying how unhappy we were with the NNBE... then lawyers came in and we had to sign non-disclosure agreements... and they said "We are about to announce our membership in the Pac12... we know it's not ideal but it was our only option." And we talked ourselves in to it being cool cause of some of the teams we'd get to play.

can you confirm or deny the following

-bl was the schools legal rep
-i was there, just sitting at the end of a table with a bottle talking like the hick from the movie waterboy in the crowd
-carl was on herbsts team saying to stay in the nnnnbe
-whaler and forte were outside the room in protest of anything

:D

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Reaction Score

What was Herbst wearing in your dream? (this is a cue for someone to post the sexy school teacher video from VH's "Hot For Teacher" video)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...all-maintains-independence-move-acc-name-only

If this article is correct, we're headed to the ACC. ND likes us, not Rutgers.

That's been clear for some time. Mike Brey said as much. ND is big on its recent basketball success, and the existence of a notable women's hoop team at ND is attributable to UConn. You may skoff that "ND only cares about football" but that's BS. They need to balance their image as football U, and a strong women's basketball team helps.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Well with the turnover in the acc, and departure of flipper... I gotta figure we have a few friends there, more than enemies... But fat lot of good that has gotten us so far.

Reaction Score
Realignment over?

73% of the readers voted no, that's not too surprising. Though I doubt if too many of them consider BYU joining the BE as "not done yet". Interesting that the two writers they recruited to have opposing viewpoints don't sound too far apart - Maisel concludes it's done for a few years, Schabach says it could start up in a couple years. Schlabach speculates Boise/BYU might be Big12 targets in the future, which would suck if UConn is still stuck in the NNBE - those would be two solid football additions that the league would have lost.
When did BYU join the BE? You can't lose what you do not have.

pj

Reaction Score
Maybe we should look for a European league. Would be great for Danish recruiting!

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

The burning question is:

Was the roundtable meeting on an aircraft carrier?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

LOL -get counseling. actually anyone who isn't being made crazy by conference realignment in college sports probably isn't a fan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
can you confirm or deny the following

-bl was the schools legal rep
-i was there, just sitting at the end of a table with a bottle talking like the hick from the movie waterboy in the crowd
-carl was on herbsts team saying to stay in the nnnnbe
-whaler and forte were outside the room in protest of anything

:D

I would never protest your drinking.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/college-football...all-maintains-independence-move-acc-name-only

If this article is correct, we're headed to the ACC. ND likes us, not Rutgers.
The truth is that in ND's dream world, we will sit on hold until they finally decide to give up football independence (which within their dream world will never happen).

I'm sure that the ACC is very happy agreeing to ND's wishes that when they do go all in for football we will become meber #16. The ACC also is hoping that ND will make this move sooner rather than later but I doubt this move happens in my lifetime (and I have no reason to believe I won't be around another 25-30 years, if not longer).

U

UConn9604

I'm sure that the ACC is very happy agreeing to ND's wishes that when they do go all in for football we will become meber #16. The ACC also is hoping that ND will make this move sooner rather than later but I doubt this move happens in my lifetime (and I have no reason to believe I won't be around another 25-30 years, if not longer).

I think this was a part of Swofford's calculus. By 2015, they can try to apply pressure on Notre Dame to come aboard full-time. At that time, they may potentially have both ESPN and the NBC Sports Network (NBC would be faced with potentially losing Notre Dame football altogether) fighting with one another over ACC's rights. In short, I think he is hoping for the same economic benefits resulting from competition between ESPN, NBC and others that we had hoped for in our current situation.

Of course, I don't think this will work, and assuming Notre Dame sticks around, I think the ACC will be in the same situation in 20 years as the Big East is now -- regretting the day they first hopped into bed with Notre Dame and completely unable (or unwilling) to do anything about it.

Reaction Score
The truth is that in ND's dream world, we will sit on hold until they finally decide to give up football independence (which within their dream world will never happen).

I'll put it at 5-10 years. Right now, it's Ollie's and Auriemma's job to get more titles and for Coach P to win every game. Our athletic department is well-perceived. At least 2/3rds of the world doesn't care about the APR garbage. Our athletic director is likely to understand we have our own culture since he's a "Michigan man". Ollie is a "Connecticut man". Best to not mess with their brotherhood and let them do their things. The women's team is a sisterhood. I am sure the football team is a brotherhood, as well. Looking forward to having Orlovsky back. Us going to Hockey East seems to be a pointer that our athletic department is staying at the elite level. Hockey is one of our worst athletic programs, sadly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe we should look for a European league. Would be great for Danish recruiting!

Don't blame me for my mind wandering as I contemplated the nuances of this...there was a side-board advertisement that said "desire cute Russians?" featuring an appealing blonde from somwhere (Denmark?). Perhaps she escaped from CTMike's dream.

Reaction Score

I don't think we are going anywhere. We were never a Brand in Football ... at least not in the eyes of the ADs & ESPN schmoes that matter. And, whatever the numbers tell them (and I truly think that a rational person would never have taken BC over UConn if you had a 15 year perspective) ... they are wrong.

So ... WE fight it out. And, this group of fellow posters who look down their noses need to look around our Fanbase: where were we in 2003? I think we have to be a little humble & accept that a San Diego State or a Houston can be far better. That, frankly, is the story of the 5 left behinds of the BE (circa 2003).

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Don't blame me for my mind wandering as I contemplated the nuances of this...there was a side-board advertisement that said "desire cute Russians?" featuring an appealing blonde from somwhere (Denmark?). Perhaps she escaped from CTMike's dream.
Haha that was a different dream...

Reaction Score
I don't think we are going anywhere. We were never a Brand in Football ... at least not in the eyes of the ADs & ESPN schmoes that matter. And, whatever the numbers tell them (and I truly think that a rational person would never have taken BC over UConn if you had a 15 year perspective) ... they are wrong.

So ... WE fight it out. And, this group of fellow posters who look down their noses need to look around our Fanbase: where were we in 2003? I think we have to be a little humble & accept that a San Diego State or a Houston can be far better. That, frankly, is the story of the 5 left behinds of the BE (circa 2003).
Louisville and UConn have top 50 revenue-producing athletic departments. And that's with an inferior TV contract.

Reaction Score
And before hockey kicks in, both on the expense side and the revenue side.

UConn is playing in a different world than the other schools when it comes to this.

Louisville and UConn have top 50 revenue-producing athletic departments. And that's with an inferior TV contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom