Horrific 4th Quarter by Canada knocks them out of World Cup | The Boneyard

Horrific 4th Quarter by Canada knocks them out of World Cup

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Leading 50-47 entering the 4th Q, Spain goes on 19-0 run. Even when Canada was leading, they were playing almost no team ball, everything was 1-1 isolation with Kia forcing way to many tough shots. Ugly loss.

Still, I thing Australia will beat Spain pretty easily.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The 4th quarter was 21-3. With a little over 1 minute left, it was 19-0. Then it was 19-1. Canada scored its only FG of the quarter with about 8 seconds left in the game. The Spanish crowd of 5,000 was going nuts.

At halftime, the leading assister for Canada had 1.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Canada played well through 3 Qtrs and then completely collapsed. The arena was incredibly loud and pretty much every Canadian player out there lost her composure.

I'm not sure Australia handles Spain tomorrow night.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada played well through 3 Qtrs and then completely collapsed. The arena was incredibly loud and pretty much every Canadian player out there lost her composure.

I'm not sure Australia handles Spain tomorrow night.

At least from the TV screen, Canada was only winning after 3Q because they were pounding the boards, being physical on defense and making just enough tough shots. Nothing on the offense looked good which really surprised me. The 4Q, it translated into lack of points.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Surprising that Team Canada lost their composure like that. Must have been an eternal 10 minutes for them. Congrats to all the teams who won. Belgium is an interesting team to me - don't really hear much about them internationally, but they do have Meeseman and Ann Wauters on the team - the only names I recognize...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Surprising that Team Canada lost their composure like that. Must have been an eternal 10 minutes for them. Congrats to all the teams who won. Belgium is an interesting team to me - don't really hear much about them internationally, but they do have Meeseman and Ann Wauters on the team - the only names I recognize...
I don’t know if they played over their heads yesterday, but they looked like the most fundamentally sound and well coached team, at least on offense.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching the Belgium team. The guards are good and they play with a lot of intensity which Team USA had better match this evening. The guard who took (and made) the ill-advised 3-pointer at the end of the game against France is especially fun to watch. ThisJustIn compared her to Jen Rizzotti.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Julie Vanloo is a back-up PG. She's small but Badass. She was recruited by Iowa State.

B-2.jpg

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At least from the TV screen, Canada was only winning after 3Q because they were pounding the boards, being physical on defense and making just enough tough shots. Nothing on the offense looked good which really surprised me. The 4Q, it translated into lack of points.
Canada is scoring challenged. Rebounding by the end of the game was about even, but assists were 18-10 in favor of Spain. Spain shot only 44%, but the dismal 4th quarter dragged Canada down to 32%. Kia was 5-17 and Fields was 1-13. Achonwa did not score in the first half.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think either game tonight is predictable. I could see any pair of the four teams winning. USA needs better than their B- game. The Aussies could succumb to the crowd, though they have at least 4 WNBA players, including Liz. Spain played poorly last night, so they are due for a better performance. The length of time that other teams spend together is noticeable and puts the U.S. at a disadvantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom