Hopeful Prediction Thread (I NEED this team to be good)! | The Boneyard

Hopeful Prediction Thread (I NEED this team to be good)!

Reaction Score
I NEED this season to start, and I NEED UConn to be good. I have a feeling I'm not the only one. For years, this was an exciting and anxious time of year. The anticipation of UConn basketball starting. Then the season started and the first few cupcake games were fun appetizers. After a few weeks, I'd look at the UConn schedule and other Top 25 teams, and rush home to watch big UConn games, and I'd watch other big games as well. Finally, studying tourney seedings, not to fill out a bracket, but to analyze UConn's path to a Final 4 (and championship).

The last few years none of that has happened. We've been pretty dead right from the beginning. I personally wrote KO off a couple seasons ago (even though I hoped I'd be wrong). My anticipation each season was forced and nostalgic, I didn't really believe. In my 20's I would've been angry about the losing seasons. I've learned that isn't healthy and instead I became indifferent. UConn basketball took a back seat. I'd check scores and often not turn a game on. By mid-season I wouldn't even know they were playing. I also avoided other games, partially out of jealousy, partially because it reminded me how bad UConn was.

I'm excited about this year again! I'm not expecting a Calhoun-like 25+ win season, but I'm hopeful about caring. My football teams suck (Giants, and UConn football). I built a nice set-up in my basement 3 years ago and assumed I'd watch big games down there when my family was annoyed by me. It gets used almost exclusively for Fortnight (son) and old episodes of Friends (daughter). I want to take my basement back! My anticipation is real this year. I'm okay with bumps, but I want to care all season.

I'm going with 20-10. I don't even know if that's the full number of regular season games. I just ran through the schedule at uconnhuskies.com. I factored in a few WTF games and an upset here or there. I'm hoping someone sneaks into the Harvard scrimmage and posts updates/analysis!

Reaction Score
Love the enthusiasm Chuck. I'm younger and I'm sad I missed the prime JC years where we were consistently dominant and you could expect to win each time you tuned into a game. I became a real fan (watching every game) starting in '09, probably the last dominant season (though '11 is close). I have rooted for very few top-5 or even top-10 UConn teams. However, I always felt the team had a chance no matter who they were playing. Against Texas in '10, Michigan State in '11, Syracuse in '13 and the tournament in '14 I knew we had a chance.

The last few years there have been some games that I just knew we were going to lose. There is really no worse feeling than knowing you are going to lose a game. And when you are proven right and the score is 81-55 or something it makes it difficult to tune into the next game. Hurley seems to be doing everything right and I hope that doomed feeling will be a thing of the past beginning this year. I too can't wait for the season to start! Go Huskies

Reaction Score
I don’t like my sports life to be defined by who I’m rooting against, I want to be for something. The Giants season was over in 5 weeks. I always say that by Dec 31st we will know what we have pretty much with the Huskies. We’ll know besides wins and losses if there is promise and potential improvement and maybe even a post season run. Our OOC schedule is no different this year, so we have to get it done.
Last year was a kick in the gut.....over and over. On paper we seem seriously deficient in the front court but our guards could be good enough to keep things interesting so we hope. Should the team go into the crapper my wish is for everyone to just stay positive on this board for this season with Hurley. And let’s not lose our minds if we beat a cupcake by 20 either. I know he gets 3 million but let’s not burn him at the stake in year one. We’ll wait to draw and quarter him in year two.

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
I NEED this season to start, and I NEED UConn to be good. I have a feeling I'm not the only one. For years, this was an exciting and anxious time of year. The anticipation of UConn basketball starting. Then the season started and the first few cupcake games were fun appetizers. After a few weeks, I'd look at the UConn schedule and other Top 25 teams, and rush home to watch big UConn games, and I'd watch other big games as well. Finally, studying tourney seedings, not to fill out a bracket, but to analyze UConn's path to a Final 4 (and championship).

The last few years none of that has happened. We've been pretty dead right from the beginning. I personally wrote KO off a couple seasons ago (even though I hoped I'd be wrong). My anticipation each season was forced and nostalgic, I didn't really believe. In my 20's I would've been angry about the losing seasons. I've learned that isn't healthy and instead I became indifferent. UConn basketball took a back seat. I'd check scores and often not turn a game on. By mid-season I wouldn't even know they were playing. I also avoided other games, partially out of jealousy, partially because it reminded me how bad UConn was.

I'm excited about this year again! I'm not expecting a Calhoun-like 25+ win season, but I'm hopeful about caring. My football teams suck (Giants, and UConn football). I built a nice set-up in my basement 3 years ago and assumed I'd watch big games down there when my family was annoyed by me. It gets used almost exclusively for Fortnight (son) and old episodes of Friends (daughter). I want to take my basement back! My anticipation is real this year. I'm okay with bumps, but I want to care all season.

I'm going with 20-10. I don't even know if that's the full number of regular season games. I just ran through the schedule at uconnhuskies.com. I factored in a few WTF games and an upset here or there. I'm hoping someone sneaks into the Harvard scrimmage and posts updates/analysis!
I'm with you Chuck! Been a fan since 1989 and spoiled by 25 years of winning and championships. I too, set my schedule around watching games (even when we had no chance of winning over the past two years - it was painful - you were right to look away). I think Hurley is the real deal and when he lands another top recruit or two, it should solidify high hopes in a year or two. I'm going to Gampel for both the scrimmage against Southern and the first game against (some intramural team from Kentucky). I am hoping to see a different team (within reason) from last year. I will post my thoughts after these games that will hopefully give you a sense of whether you should start watching Friends and playing fortnight or take over the man cave again. A healthy AG, a better shooting JA, better decisions from CV, some shooting help from Polley and Young Adams, more intensity and discipline on both ends of the floor, better offensive and defensive schemes are all reasonable expectations and should translate to 18 to 22 wins. It would be a start... but I don't think any big things can happen until Hurley gets the players here. Hurley has credibility and likability that I think will translate to more commitments. Who wouldn't want to play for this guy?

Reaction Score
@Chuck I like your enthusiasm. I am looking forward to the season to start. I have watched virtually every game since 1988. There were a few I was at work for but the last couple years even though things weren't so bright I still watched them.
I don't have great expectations for the season. However, I do have expectations for the future. I think Hurley has the program on the right track, the recruiting looks decent so far and the staff seems to be busy and engaged. I'm hoping for a decent season this year and seeing some growth in some of the younger players like Carlton, Whaley, Polley and B. Adams.
I'm also hoping for a really strong season from Jalen and a healthy full season from Alterique. I can't wait to see Sid in action either. Some engaged, good in-game coaching would make me feel pretty good as well. If the staff can land a few quality bigs for 2019 I'll feel even better.
I look forward to the start of the season to see what the overall attitude and commitment of the team is. If I see crazy buy in, even if the W-L record isn't necessarily to my liking, I'll be happy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom