Hope this gets called by referees | The Boneyard

Hope this gets called by referees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I saw this on one of the many articles posted about the upcoming tournament. This is the kind of play that I've seen over the last few years by various teams, particularly Notre Dame, that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention by the refs. When you use methods like this to clear out for a drive or to get to a rebound and there is no call really is not right. To use both arms to do so and not get a call really suggests someone isn't doing their job!
ncw_a_nd-fsu2_mb_800x450.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The picture is, also, not as bad as it looks with a quick glance. McBride's right hand is not touching anyone although she appears ready to pants the player with her left.

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
She looks focused to me! I actually respect McBride, she's a heck of a player. I don't find her nearly as annoying as I found Skylar.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Along with the thought on the the original post- there may be a real underlying theme/push/desire to want to get a new number 1 elite team and program and "poster-team" for the NCAA women's basketball. My biggest fear is Notre Dame, not so much as I don't think we can beat them- but I truly feel they are the most likely to get the calls and no calls they need to keep them in a game with us to the end. They used to get every call when their guards put their heads/shoulders down and crash the paint whether there was any room and any real defensive foul- bailed out many many times by these phantom calls when they were totally out of control. They seam to have that aura around them. One of the only ways to beat us is to get two starters off early with 2 fouls each, and then one more early foul in the 2nd half, and we now have a close game with a few of the best teams. I don't think the banging and fouls are called the same in the paint in most of our games- it seams to be ok to batter our posts because they are bigger, taller or better. If they call it the same both ways- that's always fine!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Along with the thought on the the original post- there may be a real underlying theme/push/desire to want to get a new number 1 elite team and program and "poster-team" for the NCAA women's basketball. My biggest fear is Notre Dame, not so much as I don't think we can beat them- but I truly feel they are the most likely to get the calls and no calls they need to keep them in a game with us to the end. They used to get every call when their guards put their heads/shoulders down and crash the paint whether there was any room and any real defensive foul- bailed out many many times by these phantom calls when they were totally out of control. They seam to have that aura around them. One of the only ways to beat us is to get two starters off early with 2 fouls each, and then one more early foul in the 2nd half, and we now have a close game with a few of the best teams. I don't think the banging and fouls are called the same in the paint in most of our games- it seams to be ok to batter our posts because they are bigger, taller or better. If they call it the same both ways- that's always fine!

Ah: That explains why Notre Dame won last year....

Honestly, I have no idea where the paranoia comes from. Clearly there have been calls that have gone "against" UConn, just as there have been calls that have gone "for" UConn. Can anyone point to ANY calls that have cost them a game... an NCAA tournament game... a Championship game??

Sure hope this doesn't get called:

hc-will-the-uconn-womens-basketball-team-go-un-001.jpg

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The picture is, also, as bad as it looks with a quick glance. McBride's right hand is not touching anyone although she appears ready to pants the player with her left.
I think you meant to say "not as bad". To me it appears that both of her hands are in front of (i.e., nearer to the camera than) the opposing players, rather than pushing them aside. I can imagine that she was finishing a cut through a tight space and was getting ready to catch a pass on the other (nearer) side. That requires a presumption of innocence, of course.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score

Honestly, I have no idea where the paranoia comes from. Clearly there have been calls that have gone "against" UConn, just as there have been calls that have gone "for" UConn. Can anyone point to ANY calls that have cost them a game... an NCAA tournament game... a Championship game??

View attachment 5283
TJI- I can remember numerous times during the past 4-5 yrs that Skylar, Mcbride, and their other really good stocky guard- Mallory, would just drive into traffic, put their head and shoulder down and win the games at the foul line with total bail out fouls. No, I can't sight the date and time though of each one- so you got me .Ive Been at every game in CT with Notre Dame and watched each game at least 5-10 times on tape, win or lose. Last year we were just a better team when Stewie became Stewie. Plain and simple. And if we don't get in foul trouble - we will beat them by 17-20 again. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. And I think the refs ended the Semi final game Maya's Sr year when they called the biggest ticky tack 2nd foul on Steph Dolson 4 minutes in at the baseline under our hoop. we had a bench that consisted of Lauren Dixon, and yes that 2nd foul that was a phantom pathetic call ended the game- just that most casual observers wouldn't have known it.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
TJI- I can remember numerous times during the past 4-5 yrs that Skylar, Mcbride, and their other really good stocky guard- Mallory, would just drive into traffic, put their head and shoulder down and win the games at the foul line with total bail out fouls. No, I can't sight the date and time though of each one- so you got me .Ive Been at every game in CT with Notre Dame and watched each game at least 5-10 times on tape, win or lose. Last year we were just a better team when Stewie became Stewie. Plain and simple. And if we don't get in foul trouble - we will beat them by 17-20 again. Doesn't mean I'm wrong. And I think the refs ended the Semi final game Maya's Sr year when they called the biggest ticky tack 2nd foul on Steph Dolson 4 minutes in at the baseline under our hoop. we had a bench that consisted of Lauren Dixon, and yes that 2nd foul that was a phantom pathetic call ended the game- just that most casual observers wouldn't have known it.

Geno-ista - surely you haven't forgotten Natalie Novosel and the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" strategy. She was so good at that, that she deserves to be called out by name.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Geno-ista - surely you haven't forgotten Natalie Novosel and the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" strategy. She was so good at that, that she deserves to be called out by name.
I remembered Mallory's name and forgot about Natalie! Thanks CC- You have restored my faith in humanity and the boneyard- and I know I wasn't imagining all those in sane bail outs since the "queen" Skylar arrived- and they were all obviously great players!

Reaction Score
Along with the thought on the the original post- there may be a real underlying theme/push/desire to want to get a new number 1 elite team and program and "poster-team" for the NCAA women's basketball

Who exactly would be behind this? And how would they manage to get their agenda carried out without any leaks?

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Who exactly would be behind this? And how would they manage to get their agenda carried out without any leaks?
Could be the Irish Mafia? It just appears to me like Notre Dame, compared to us at least, would get consideration in big games. I think there has been some Anti U Conn, and/or anti Geno, officiating. Whether because of the amt of winning, Geno being Geno, the text book Italian, sarcastic male, wise guy male. I don't think it is an organized "conspiracy" ! I think "they" only meet bi monthly- not on a weekly basis!
Yes I think there is some bias against us over the years- especially from some officials,

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think you meant to say "not as bad". To me it appears that both of her hands are in front of (i.e., nearer to the camera than) the opposing players, rather than pushing them aside. I can imagine that she was finishing a cut through a tight space and was getting ready to catch a pass on the other (nearer) side. That requires a presumption of innocence, of course.
Yeah, I corrected that.

Reaction Score
Along with the thought on the the original post- there may be a real underlying theme/push/desire to want to get a new number 1 elite team and program and "poster-team" for the NCAA women's basketball.

I assume you are joking.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Could be the Irish Mafia? It just appears to me like Notre Dame, compared to us at least, would get consideration in big games. I think there has been some Anti U Conn, and/or anti Geno, officiating. Whether because of the amt of winning, Geno being Geno, the text book Italian, sarcastic male, wise guy male. I don't think it is an organized "conspiracy" ! I think "they" only meet bi monthly- not on a weekly basis!
Yes I think there is some bias against us over the years- especially from some officials,

Lordy.

Ok. As I said before, that's clearly why UConn has lost all those games and all those Championships.

As I said - there have been "good" and "bad" calls against UConn. And I'll add - UConn has gotten the benefit of "good" and "bad" calls. It's downright silly to posit that there has been bias against UConn -- "especially" from some officials.

Reaction Score
Lordy.

Ok. As I said before, that's clearly why UConn has lost all those games and all those Championships.

As I said - there have been "good" and "bad" calls against UConn. And I'll add - UConn has gotten the benefit of "good" and "bad" calls. It's downright silly to posit that there has been bias against UConn -- "especially" from some officials.

+100000000000000

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Lordy.

I agree calls go both ways many times- but I totally disagree that many of the "original powers that be" in Womens College Basketball really loved Geno and what he created here. And I think the converse is true. There were a few games in the old days- and I don't have every date and game etched in to my memory, where a Tenn game vs Minnesota I think with Lindsey Whalen I think and then another one of the regional games in and around those years, I watched referees make the worst calls in the last minutes and seconds of a game to be sure Tenn had every opportunity to advance no matter what. One was a rebound of a missed Tenn foul shot that the ref called a foul on the opposing team who had inside position with like 1.5 seconds left in a tie or one point game to be sure Tenn had another shot. I officiated basketball for 15 yrs. Some calls at the end of games that were such non calls when real ref's are trying to swallow the whistle if possible- but these refs were making sure they could affect the outcome of the game pro activley. We all have some bias in us, even if it is subconscious. I don't think it's silly at all to think this. I think the Dallas Cowboys had the same aura around them for many years when they were "Americas Team". That's what I think- we can end this thread TJI- just an opinion.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Lordy.

Every team's fans want to find the bias.

While ref's do have preferences for style of play and such (which accounts for some variation between ref's, I suspect) and while some players are perceived in a certain light (not always the same by various ref's), I really, really, really don't think or see any evidence that it extends to favoring certain teams (long term). Of course the team can affect the perception of certain plays, I suppose.

Reaction Score
I think that UConn lost at least three or four games to Notre Dame over the Skylar Duggins years where they just bulled their way into the paint and threw their bodies into the first player they could while throwing up a shot that had little chance to go in, just so as to both score from the foul line and also to put our post players in foul trouble. It weakened us to the point where we could never pull away from the Irish and also made our inside players tentative to defend anyone driving up the middle. That changed the whole complexion of the games and contributed to our losing games we should have won comfortably. Two of those games were in the Final Four semi-finals so I sure take it personally when refs start calling these blocking fouls when they are either no calls or should get charge calls. Maya lost out on a third title due to these kind of ploys, that would have tied her with Diana.

View attachment 5283

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is rather amazing how UCONN's defensive discipline and limited fouls seems to go out the window when the opponent is ND. The Huskies who lead the country in fewest fouls per game suddenly are perceived as defensive hacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom