Hope Randy's dream job was worth it | The Boneyard

Hope Randy's dream job was worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I could never ever imagine putting in 12 + years into building a program from scratch, having success, only to leave at such a crucial time of change in college athletics as the program and all that work goes crashing into the ground in spectacular fashion.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
FHCRE was leaving because of Hathaway. I've been told this a number of times by higher up involved with the program for a number of years. UCONN was trying to get rid of Hathaway, but Edsall pulled the rip cord before it happened.

Reaction Score
His relationship with Hathaway had become irreconcilable. Unfortunately Herbst wasn't around yet so it was still months away from Hathaway getting shiite canned by her. I contend that if Herbst arrived a year earlier and moved on Hathaway, Edsall would still be here. For the want of a nail

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah, any blame for the state of our program goes directly on Jeff Hathaway's shoulders. Nobody else. He ran the best coach in our program's history out of town while doing absolutely nothing to advance the program by way of stadium expansion, stadium improvements, more aggressive marketing campaigns, appropriately priced Fiesta Bowl packages (and other bowl games), and fund raising. In hindsight, as soon as Randy left, President Herbst should have sh1tcanned Hathaway so her hand-picked AD could be responsible for hiring our next coach.

Randy left because he didn't get along with Hathaway (not many did), got more money from a school who played in a Power conference that was rumored to be going to a better Power conference. All of that happened. Meanwhile, our program is dropping neutral site and home games against the likes or Army and SMU playing in one of the worst G5 conferences. Hard to blame Randy for wanting out.

Reaction Score
I could never ever imagine putting in 12 + years into building a program from scratch, having success, only to leave at such a crucial time of change in college athletics as the program and all that work goes crashing into the ground in spectacular fashion.

It didn't become a "crucial time" until after he left (January 2011). Pitt and Syracuse were invited in September 2011, with WVU, Rutgers, Maryland and Louisville moving the year after that.

Randy left the program in its peak condition. Susan was hired in December 2010 and probably didn't have time to change his mind or convince him that Jeff was going to take a walk soon.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Its was well worth it for him, his family and career - plus he used a bunch of that money on the monument. Was it worth - hell ya!!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Please change the avatar, that puss head started the football demise , he should be skinned alive rubbed down with rich salt and then dipped in hot acid! I hate that face .

Reaction Score
FHCRE was leaving because of Hathaway. I've been told this a number of times by higher up involved with the program for a number of years. UCONN was trying to get rid of Hathaway, but Edsall pulled the rip cord before it happened.
it's well known that McHugh wanted Hathaway out after hathaway went bonkers when he was not given his bonus by the BOT (after the Morande Ford/Ticket scandal and the Nate Miles issues)...Hathaway figured by hiring mcHugh's boy Pasqualoni and his buddy delete he could save his job and gain some serious brownie points with McHugh.

Reaction Score
WOW and I mean WOW could one be more clueless? Imagine making much more money, having much more support from your employer and playing a schedule we all envy. Imagine a fan base that loves football. I can't imagine why anyone with the avi you have would be here. OOOPs my bad, troll dectector low on batt.....er..ies....

Reaction Score
You know those big foam blocks that bow hunters use for target practice? You see them at Dick's all the time. There could be a cottage industry built around putting Hathaway's likeness on one of those. That would be enough to get me to want to give archery a try.

Reaction Score
Edsall could be one of the top 10 coaches in all of college football. Look at what he did here vs. what it is now.

Coaches jump jobs all the time; he stayed here far longer than most coaches stick in one place.

I disagree with most UCONN fans about his departure. He stayed through the Fiesta Bowl whereas most coaches bail before the bowl game (e.g., Kelly for ND).

I would sever two of my non-critical fingers to have him back.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
You know those big foam blocks that bow hunters use for target practice? You see them at Dick's all the time. There could be a cottage industry built around putting Hathaway's likeness on one of those. That would be enough to get me to want to give archery a try.

I miss the days when you complained about Randy as he won championships.

What was your favorite line?

Couldn't be worse?

Reaction Score
I miss the days when you complained about Randy as he won championships.

What was your favorite line?

Couldn't be worse?

Remember the time you were Randy's biggest apologist? And then we hired Pasqualoni and you said he would take us to the promised land and then you told us Randy was an idiot?

I do.

Good times.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Remember the time you were Randy's biggest apologist? And then we hired Pasqualoni and you said he would take us to the promised land and then you told us Randy was an idiot?

I do.

Good times.

Never said Randy was a idiot. Just a jerk.

I remember you never being happy. Ever. Always crying like a litttle girl. Good times.

Reaction Score
Never said Randy was a idiot. Just a jerk.

I remember you never being happy. Ever. Always crying like a litttle girl. Good times.

So you don't deny that you flip flopped three times.

When Fiasco leaves you'll flip flop again.

If I actually gave a crap I would go to scout and find your posts proclaiming that Pasqualoni was a masterful genius. Not good times, GREAT TIMES.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
So you don't deny that you flip flopped three times.

When Fiasco leaves you'll flip flop again.

If I actually gave a crap I would go to scout and find your posts proclaiming that Pasqualoni was a masterful genius. Not good times, GREAT TIMES.

I supported Randy when he was here.

You said "how could it be worse?"

You are right.

I have always been in support of the coach and you have always been whining like a little baitch.

Reaction Score
the great thing about Randy is I knew what I was getting when going to games for the most part. Win the ones we're supposed to, lose the ones we're supposed to, but with a few games that could swing either way. Block C helmets, smashmouth football, great running backs, the Big East. Holy cow, now I'm sad.

Reaction Score
Randy would have left the following year or very soon after. He had his eye on the door for a long time.

Reaction Score
Randy would have left the following year or very soon after. He had his eye on the door for a long time.
A long, long time. Years. Interviewed every chance he got. Can't believe people thinking that RE would still be here but for this, that or the other. Or that the program would be in better shape.

Reaction Score
A long, long time. Years. Interviewed every chance he got. Can't believe people thinking that RE would still be here but for this, that or the other. Or that the program would be in better shape.

other than GA Tech, what did he interview for?

Reaction Score
other than GA Tech, what did he interview for?

Maryland and GTech are the only chances he got. GTech didn't offer the job, Maryland did.

Couple of steps that need to happen between looking, and interviewing.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
One of my favorite memories of the FHCRE era was the entire stadium chanting "B-C-S" when we beat Cincy at The Rent going to USF... Classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom