Hope Polley gets his chance to start 3 man | The Boneyard

Hope Polley gets his chance to start 3 man

Reaction Score
If we consider martin a 4.
We can rotate in bigs all game and when needed go 2 big. But I like having the extra scoring punch to help out at the start without giving up almost any length on defense

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Polley is in the starting line up by Feb 1, and is getting 25-30 minutes a game IF he can stay out of foul trouble.
He is the X-Factor this season. Tall, great 3 point shot. If he continues to commit to D and Rebounding, Mr. Hurley will have no choice but to play him. Other guys bring a lot to the table, but, at the end of the day, a guy who is a dagger plunger from 3 when you need it is gold.

On Feb 1, the starters should be . . . Bouk, Cole, Polley, Akok, Whaley, with Gaffney getting PG minutes to spell Cole, Carlton getting C minutes to spell Whaley, Martin getting 25' plus a game, Adams getting backup minutes, and everybody else fighting for scraps (yeah, I know that sounds bad). Sanogo and Jackson haven't been able to develop (not on them), and they will get minutes here and there.

With Hurley's emphasis on D, and needing a deep threat, it seems to me that the only person who can keep Polley out of heavy rotation is Polley. I see him as 15/6 guy, and respectable on D, within a month.

To guys saying he's a spot up shooter who will get sub minutes, I say . . . . this game is all about the 3. He is, arguably, our best 3 shooter. 2nd, at worst. He is the guy who, when he gets it all going, is the difference between 2nd weekend and elite 8.

No disrespect to Tyrese at all - he's great. But Polley is the X-Factor.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m guessing moving forward starting Polley at the 3, Martin at the 4 is the play. Insane that Sanogo isn’t a starter he would start for 350 other teams. Dude is like magneto grabbing boards, he boxes out so strongly and takes up so much space that the opposing bigs basically give up trying to get offensive boards. His arms are longer than advertised.

If y’all have a chance go back and watch just the first 6 minutes of last game when we had Martin, Whaley, and Sanogo on the floor together. That was not fair on the glass, not only are they all great rebounders they are all very active. No one in the big east is getting second chance points against that front court.

Last edited:

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Polley is in the starting line up by Feb 1, and is getting 25-30 minutes a game IF he can stay out of foul trouble.
He is the X-Factor this season. Tall, great 3 point shot. If he continues to commit to D and Rebounding, Mr. Hurley will have no choice but to play him. Other guys bring a lot to the table, but, at the end of the day, a guy who is a dagger plunger from 3 when you need it is gold.

On Feb 1, the starters should be . . . Bouk, Cole, Polley, Akok, Whaley, with Gaffney getting PG minutes to spell Cole, Carlton getting C minutes to spell Whaley, Martin getting 25' plus a game, Adams getting backup minutes, and everybody else fighting for scraps (yeah, I know that sounds bad). Sanogo and Jackson haven't been able to develop (not on them), and they will get minutes here and there.

With Hurley's emphasis on D, and needing a deep threat, it seems to me that the only person who can keep Polley out of heavy rotation is Polley. I see him as 15/6 guy, and respectable on D, within a month.

To guys saying he's a spot up shooter who will get sub minutes, I say . . . . this game is all about the 3. He is, arguably, our best 3 shooter. 2nd, at worst. He is the guy who, when he gets it all going, is the difference between 2nd weekend and elite 8.

Martin is by far and away the more all-around player than Polley. He's also more athletic and not coming off of a big-time injury. No disrespect to Polley, but he should come off the bench and if his 3 ball is rolling he gets minutes. When it's not, he's a liability IMO.

Reaction Score
We can rotate in bigs all game and when needed go 2 big. But I like having the extra scoring punch to help out at the start without giving up almost any length on defense
I think we'll start 2 bigs against Marquette. I hope our starting 5 by Feb is Cole, Bouk, Martin, Akok, and Whaley

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Martin is by far and away the more all-around player than Polley. He's also more athletic and not coming off of a big-time injury. No disrespect to Polley, but he should come off the bench and if his 3 ball is rolling he gets minutes. When it's not, he's a liability IMO.
Martin got . . .
6 points.
11 points.
and
2 points.

Prior to DePaul.

Against Creighton, when we needed him the most, arguably, he was 1 of 6 with 0 assists.

Not rippin' on Martin. I love what he brings. BUT, he's at ceiling.

Polley, on the other hand, has HUGE upside. When I use the word "HUGE" there, think Leonardo Dicaprio selling shares in Teledyne (Aerodyne?) stock. "HUGE upside."

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
tyrese can play himself into the draft with proper hurley coaching
Martin is great for us, and I love what he brings, but he will not be drafted by the NBA in any meaningful position.
Respectfully, Ratso, you have let the DePaul game influence your opinion excessively.

Martin shot 7 for 17 prior to DePaul and was 1 of 4 from 3.

Martin will be a solid contributor, but he is better viewed at "super-glue-guy" than "an NBA prospect."

Mark it down, call me out. Polley is the X-Factor. If he stays healthy, he will be starting and getting 25' plus a game. He is much, much more important than Martin to our final result.

Reaction Score
Martin got . . .
6 points.
11 points.
and
2 points.

Prior to DePaul.

Against Creighton, when we needed him the most, arguably, he was 1 of 6 with 0 assists.

Not rippin' on Martin. I love what he brings. BUT, he's at ceiling.

Polley, on the other hand, has HUGE upside. When I use the word "HUGE" there, think Leonardo Dicaprio selling shares in Teledyne (Aerodyne?) stock. "HUGE upside."
Martin is a much better player than Polley, it's not even close. Polley is a weapon with his three point shooting but unfortunately he's never brought it in any of the other aspects of the game. If he hits threes and plays D we can be a great team.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Martin is a much better player than Polley, it's not even close. Polley is a weapon with his three point shooting but unfortunately he's never brought it in any of the other aspects of the game. If he hits threes and plays D we can be a great team.
Superjohn, how you bin man? We totally agree on the virus thing, and that's the only thing you and I have agreed on in 10 years, so that's a sign of the big thing, or whatever people say.
Polley has much greater upside than Martin. It's not even close.

Martin is a better rebounder and a better defender. That's great, and that's why Hurley loves him.

But it's 2020, and Martin shoots the open 3 at about 35% and Polley shoots the open 3 at about 45%, and that's why Polley will be starting over Martin at some point, mark it down. Of course, if Martin gets the Olander start for 5 minutes, then I'm still right.

Love Martin. Don't lose track of that. Guy is a stud. But he's not a high level
scoring threat.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score

Second best three point shooter behind who? I wish Polly was are second best, but he's not, he's our best, hands down.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
tyrese can play himself into the draft with proper hurley coaching
He’s not on any draft boards today, but it is undeniable that he looked like an NBA prospect against DePaul. Able 3PT shooter, fierce rebounder, dribble-drive with two hand finisher... really good stuff...

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
Second best three point shooter behind who? I wish Polly was are second best, but he's not, he's our best, hands down.
Bouk is our best 3 point shooter.
1/4 then 2/7 then 3/6 then 5/12. Against USC and Creighton, the better competition, he shot 8 of 18. Also note that James was creating his own shot in many of those circumstances, a thing for which Polley is not quite adept.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Bouk is our best 3 point shooter.
1/4 then 2/7 then 3/6 then 5/12. Against USC and Creighton, the better competition, he shot 8 of 18. Also note that James was creating his own shot in many of those circumstances, a thing for which Polley is not quite adept.
I disagree. You can't use these 5 games to say who is a better shooter. Polley has consistently knocked down the three year after year for us.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Polley was recruited to do? Obviously he was recruited by the former staff. And the coaching staff doesn't exactly confide with the fan base about team development.

Was Polley recruited to be a stretch 4. The next DeAndre Daniels?

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what Polley was recruited to do? Obviously he was recruited by the former staff. And the coaching staff doesn't exactly confide with the fan base about team development.

I believe he was recruited to play men's bb.
Polley is our best 3pt shooter but Martin is a better all round player imo.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score

Honestly who knows what that regime was thinking. Thank god its over

Reaction Score
Honestly who knows what that regime was thinking. Thank god its over
I kinda think he was recruited to be a stretch 4. Similarly, I think Vance Jackson was as well. That type of player obviously worked well for KO in 14'. So I think KO was trying to recreate Daniels.

Anyways, i like the idea of Polley doing exactly that. Playing as the 4. Unfortunately he doesn't bring the other skills that Daniels had. Shot blocking and rebounding.

For this reason Polley has always been a bit of an enigma to me. He's not much of a big and he's not much of a swing player with more guard-like skills.

Reaction Score
Polley continues to be the most underrated player on the team. Feel free to watch from minute 3:50 to 4:30 to see some dagger treys.

PS: Polley > Martin

Reaction Score
Superjohn, how you bin man? We totally agree on the virus thing, and that's the only thing you and I have agreed on in 10 years, so that's a sign of the big thing, or whatever people say.
Polley has much greater upside than Martin. It's not even close.

Martin is a better rebounder and a better defender. That's great, and that's why Hurley loves him.

But it's 2020, and Martin shoots the open 3 at about 35% and Polley shoots the open 3 at about 45%, and that's why Polley will be starting over Martin at some point, mark it down. Of course, if Martin gets the Olander start for 5 minutes, then I'm still right.

Love Martin. Don't lose track of that. Guy is a stud. But he's not a high level
scoring threat.
What are all these things Polley has more potential than Martin at? He's in his 4th year already. Polley is a better three point shooter than Martin and can be a real weapon with the three ball but who is the better defender? Who is the better finisher? Who is the better rebounder? Who has the better handles? Who is the better passer? Who has more versatility?

Reaction Score

The other X-factor is a healthy and productive Akok. If he is both healthy and productive, and if he can shake off the rust, your projected rotation makes sense. Otherwise, you have to start Martin with all his intangibles. The 3 is critical, and we will have to see if Polley consistently makes them along with decent rebounding and defense. If all the ducks line up to a reasonable degree, nothing wrong with a strong 8 man rotation. Though, I think Sanogo has to get minutes too and I think with more games, he will show more.

Reaction Score
Polley is a career 12 ppg, 4 boards, and less than 1 assist/steal/block PER 40 MINUTES. What does the guy do on the court? Wipe the wet spots? A supposedly steve novak esque marksman has averaged 38% on 3s for his career on only 3 attempts game. Such a weapon would be taking more attempts, no? He’s a senior.. he’s had plenty of oppurtunity. Just because he’s made two threes in a row a few times doesn’t mean he’s our nuclear weapon. Drew Hurley would make 3s at the same clip if he only took attempted few a game

Last edited:

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
What are all these things Polley has more potential than Martin at? He's in his 4th year already. Polley is a better three point shooter than Martin and can be a real weapon with the three ball but who is the better defender? Who is the better finisher? Who is the better rebounder? Who has the better handles? Who is the better passer? Who has more versatility?
If you take away the Lone Ranger's marksmanship, he was just an average cowboy, lol.

3 pointer is critical. We'll see. [wink]

Reaction Score
According to a graphic across the bottom of the screen today, Martin is tied for the rebounding lead in the Big East through yesterday's games. I don't really see them as competing to the extent you can't have them on the floor together. Polley can get his minutes when he's hitting, but when Martin isn't shooting well he is still contributing by getting us possessions. (I didn't look to confirm the rebounding stat)

Reaction Score
Polley is more of a 4 man and if he is in the lineup he will play like there. He surely can't guard a 3 with lack of quickness. Unless you are saying defensively they switch men.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom