Hope Geno Is Right About Paige | The Boneyard

Hope Geno Is Right About Paige

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Geno has talked quite a bit about Paige and I don't remember any of UConn's greats being described in the way he has Paige so early in their careers. It is summarized in the uconnwbbweekly. Notably, even when Geno says "she's not there yet" he also says it's not far away.

"If Paige practices every practice like it’s a game and there’s five minutes left and it’s tied, then I would tell you she’d win National Player of the Year. But she’s not there yet,” he said. “She doesn’t know how to do that yet. So there’s a lot of growing that she has to do in terms of how to sustain something for two hours. How to sustain something for 40 minutes. How to keep that concentration level at that level for 40 minutes — not just in a close game, not just in a tight spot. And that will happen soon. And when it does...”

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
He's a visionary. 20-20.

Geno just needed to see her personality enough to make sure putting this level of responsibility on her will not backfire. Now the kid gloves are off.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Geno has talked quite a bit about Paige and I don't remember any of UConn's greats being described in the way he has Paige so early in their careers. It is summarized in the uconnwbbweekly. Notably, even when Geno says "she's not there yet" he also says it's not far away.
I keep wondering what Olivia and Christyn think of all this talk about Paige?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
They know, players know she has filled a hole no other 1st year player in the country could have filled. They also realize that she has taken a large amount of the pressure of their backs. Liv & CW know as does the rest of WCBB.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
They know, players know she has filled a hole no other 1st year player in the country could have filled. They also realize that she has taken a large amount of the pressure of their backs. Liv & CW know as does the rest of WCBB.

and they know she cares only about making her teammates better and winning NC's and not celebrity or stats.

Reaction Score
I was hoping that Paige in her freshman year would be good enough to cover the loss of Crystal Dangerfield and that is a tall order. I loved Crystal Dangerfield's game. It is unfortunate that sometimes Crystal Dangerfield wasn't as consistent from the outside in big games and this was something I had a feeling she could rectify in the tournament that never was.

No disrespect to Crystal Dangerfield, because again, I loved her game, Paige is already better in my opinion. Paige still has a lot of learning to do and a lot of hurdles to make in big games. Her only faults for me thus far have been that she has been inconsistent in the mid-range and she can be better on defense.

I have no doubt her mid-range will come sooner rather than later because she showed it in HS and all freshman struggle with defense. Who has a better point guard? I think she can be first team all American.

Then I was thinking that EW could offset the loss of MW but we can discuss that one in another thread.

If those two things happen with some help from the rest of the team, we go to the final four. Again, for another thread.....

But one thing I am sure about: No Paige = No Final Four!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The UConn Blog has a nice comparison of what Geno has been saying about Paige with what he said about out greatest players (Sveta, Diana, Maya Stewie, Tina)

What makes this especially fun are the embedded links to sources at the time of the telling with some really cool stuff

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
MOP of the NCAA's is a nicer award because it comes with a ring.
Fun facts:
Although MOP is usually awarded to a member of the Championship team. There have been 12 instances where the winner was not on the championship team for NCAA basketball (Men and Women). The last man to win the award despite not being on the Championship team was Hakeem Olajuwon for Huston in 1983. Dawn Staley was the only woman to win the award and not be on the Championship team for Virginia in 1991.

Reaction Score
Fun facts:
Although MOP is usually awarded to a member of the Championship team. There have been 12 instances where the winner was not on the championship team for NCAA basketball (Men and Women). The last man to win the award despite not being on the Championship team was Hakeem Olajuwon for Huston in 1983. Dawn Staley was the only woman to win the award and not be on the Championship team for Virginia in 1991.

I actually thought that might be the case but I knew you'd fact-check it for me. :)

Reaction Score
Kentucky climbs in Power Rankings, Texas cracks top 20 – The Athletic

In the article there was a trip down memory lane to Jan 5, 2002:

No. 1 UConn traveled to No. 2 Tennessee for the 14th meeting in the rivalry’s history. ....
.... Notable quote from that game, courtesy of The Hartford Courant: “There’s nobody else that big that can do what she does. When was the last time you saw anyone her size make shots from where she makes them as easily as she does? I can’t remember anyone either. You don’t see anybody use her body like she does in the lane. She is unique, honest to God.” — Auriemma on Taurasi

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
we talked aboot this. buckets is a disruptor (some of youse seemed to be offended by that label), and with coach talking aboot her as a potential POY, well, i guess that seals it- everyone has to adjust to her if they want to win it all, which they clearly do.

Reaction Score
Paige’s opportunity to win POY went away with the cancellation of games against Louisville, Mississippi State & Baylor.
Patience Coco this weird season is still young for our Huskies. Who knows how many games other teams / players may miss down the road? POY selection does not come until April, her opportunity is still very much there. ;)

No attack SVC but what's to wonder? Just how happy they could possibly be or if they could possibly be happier? Elite players want nothing more than to play with / against elite players.
My guess having followed the program for a very long time the thoughts of Olivia and Christyn would have been in line with something like. "Welcome home baby girl!" "Let's get to work".

Reaction Score
Very few things in life ever exceed high expectations, movies, restaurants. etc.
I don't look at HS players tapes of games, they don't tell you much. So when a player is the number 1 ranked HS player, you know they are good, but you need to see them play against college players before you can judge for yourself.
Paige Bueckers is way, way better than I could ever expect to see. Pretty close to Maya Moore in terms of talent and seeing the court.
But this Covid thing has been just a downer that won't seem to end.....

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They are probably thinking how nice it is to have a teammate that consistently get's you the ball when you are open. Game recognize game!
And Christyn said as much 2 months ago when asked her impression of Paige. She said when Paige is on the court she's like a General and Christyn loved running drills with her because she always delivered the ball. What Christyn should know is that her opportunity to excel this season is enhanced the better Paige is.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Patience Coco this weird season is still young for our Huskies. Who knows how many games other teams / players may miss down the road? POY selection does not come until April, her opportunity is still very much there. ;)
POY awards and AA status are usually (not always) sealed in front of a national audience. Gabby DPOY award, Morgan Tuck's performance against ND, Christyn Williams announcing her presence with authority as a Freshman at ND , Crystal coming off the bench blowing up against Baylor and earning hugs from Geno as a freshman are a few recent examples. As good as Paige is she has not been in front of a national audience yet. I'm afraid if the season were to end today not only would Paige not win POY she might not win National Freshman of the year. Caitlin Clark is putting up major numbers for Iowa as a Freshman, Haley Jones is the best player on the #1 team and Rhyne Howard may already have lapped the field and secure the NPOY trophies. Caitlin, Haley and Rhyne also happen to play in conferences with their own networks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom