Hoophall This Weekend | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hoophall This Weekend

Reaction Score
Adama Sanogo
The article posted by Hooperscooper lists Adama Sanogo as a top performer and that is just where I was going.
He is a 6'9 245lb 2021 widebody with game ranked #128. Contrast this report with what I wrote regarding Cliff. The Patrick School played IMG Academy with a starting front court of Mark Williams 7'1 #30 Duke commit, and Moussa Diabate at 6' 11 2021 ranked #13. They rotate in Lynn Kidd at 6'10 2021 ranked #121, Brandon Huntley-Hatfield 6'10 class of 2022 #6, and Zach Edey a positively huge human being at 7'3 class of 2020 who is a decent ball player and unranked. Jonathan Kuminga 2021 #1 for Patrick did not play, but Adama did have to also compete on the boards with his own teammates including Bretner Mutombo 6'11 class 2021 ranked #152, and Samson Johnson 6'10 2021, as well as an Asian player Chris (Chung/Jung?) who was all of 6'10 and widebody but not listed in the program. Against this humanity Sanogo got 26 points, 12 RBs, 2 Blocks, AND 7 STEALS.!! His steals were all over the court and in transition. On 1 occassion he took the ball the length of the court with 1 man back, eurostepped to avoid the defender and put the ball in. He had the conditioning never to come out of the game. He scored shooting, dunking, and with post moves. Always against multiple big bigs. He took 2 3pt shots that were almost set shots and more comical than impressive, but he is a player. BUT, again, one guy isn't enough and they lost. Give me a guy like this as part of a 3 headed rotation in the frontcourt.

Love his body type especially if he can get out and go. A wide body? What the hell is that, haven't seen one in
Stores since Hayward? Anyway another nice summary and where are we with this kid? Would love to have him in a Husky uni.

Thanks again, continued great stuff.

Reaction Score
Cliff Omoyuri
The Boneyard is going to kill me for this one, because despite the glowing statements in the earlier posted article in this thread, I was very underwhelmed in relation to what we need to compete for conference and national championships. He did not play bad and accomplished the statistics reported, so it is likely my expectations were just too high. In my mind’s eye, I had come to see him as a 6’10 Oriakhi type player who would own the paint, stand up to power players trying to back him down, get rebounds, and protect the rim. I guess that expectation is unfair because physically, he has thin legs and torso, narrow shoulders, and a lot more in common with Whaley than Oriakhi despite these other reports. Any of the 3 centers on Putnam Science would back him down as if he was Whaley. I liked all 3 of them more.

In the Roselle Catholic game vs Bishop Gorman of NV, he threw down 2 spectacular alley oops, and 4 times he garnered a loose ball under his hoop and rose up and threw it down. His 7th basket he went up to dunk from a standing position but was a foot or so farther away from the basket than he thought so it ended up being a finger roll. I hoped I would see he could make the foul line jump shot, but other than the dunk plays, it was tough to evaluate much at all. He never dribbled, he never made a true post move, he never actually took a shot, he never left the paint defensively to guard a player on the perimeter until the desperation of the last minutes. He only blocked a layup from a small driving guard, he was rebounding against 6’6 players, and he didn’t get any of his dunks against the other team’s 6’11 reserve player when that guy was in. He also didn’t make any notable passes. He is ranked as a top 50 player so my guess is he can do a lot more than he showed in this game.

Lance Ware at about #40 with the KY offer Cliff covets, proved himself to be a stud against 7’ Evan Mobley ranked #1, and Ware was one of the best players I saw. Maybe KY has a different rating system than the services and has reasons why they haven’t offered big Cliff? My guess is we can ignore Kentucky as a landing place for Cliff.

Obviously, I only saw 1 game. If I saw Carlton just once, it might be a 0 point game or a 10 rebound 12 point game and I would come away with wildly different opinions except for his physical traits. Cliff is a good post player, but the player I saw is a good guy to have on the roster in a rotation, unlikely the low post talent to change UConn’s fortunes. Keep in mind he didn't impact this game enough to win it. (Although Neils Lane didn't play).

My own opinion is that if it turns out we can add a player for next year, that player should move the needle for us rather than be just another arrow in the quiver. An impact power player at center, a shooter with some secondary skills, or an excellent point guard. If Cliff commits I’ll be routing for him and I have no doubt he'll help. I hated writing this.

As long as your recognize that your impressions are from one game, and the limits that come with that, there shouldn't be any hesitation in sharing those impressions even if they are outside the consensus.
Thank you for your observations.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
From what I have heard from folks who have followed/watched prep ball this year - Sanogo has a bigger up side than Cliff - FWIW

Reaction Score
Love his body type especially if he can get out and go. A wide body? What the hell is that, haven't seen one in
Stores since Hayward? Anyway another nice summary and where are we with this kid? Would love to have him in a Husky uni.

Thanks again, continued great stuff.
Not that tall, but he’s built like a brick wall. Was listed at 6’8 230 last summer.

Reaction Score
Not that tall, but he’s built like a brick wall. Was listed at 6’8 230 last summer.
He's the bruiser we need. Also reclass-eligible. Would rather have him than Carlton next year, he is better at every aspect of the game than Carlton other than jumping.

I really hope Hurley doesn't put all his eggs in the Cliff basket and lets Sanogo fall elsewhere if Cliff doesn't come our way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Can he shoot? He sounds like a prototype Villanova big, lacking in height but strong and mobile.

To be honest he sounds to me like a better compliment to Javonte Brown Ferguson than Cliff is.

Reaction Score
Putnam Science Academy vs New Hampton (Alex Karaban 2022)
I hadn't watched Putnam Science since Diallo/Diarra years. I thought Putnam Science was going to be Jaylen Murray, Hassan Diarra, and a tall thin Josh Gray at center. Holy Hoops Batman !! This team is bigger than NBA teams and has a ton of talent. A Russian, Vladislav Goldin 2020 C at 7'0 215 lbs or more, is the starter, Other size is Josh Gray 2020 7'0 220 lbs ranked in the180's, as well as Elijah Hutchins-Everett, who was listed at 6'11 220 lbs class of 2021 and ranked #180 or so in that class. Everrett is more 245 with a butt that moves people around. They also have a 7'2 player that didn't dress. Moreover, for long stretches they played 2 of these guys together on the court. All of them are fluid, tough, and contributors. I would welcome any of the 3 to UConn. Josh Gray was better, stronger, and rougher than I expected. In 20 min he only scored 2 pts, got 2 RBs, and 1 block, and went 0-3 at the line, but he looked better than that anchoring the paint. Hutchins-Everrett is an imposing beast. His line in just 16 min was 4-7, 3-5 FT, 10 RB (6 Off), 1 Assist. Goldin I was favorably impressed with but have more trouble recalling specifics. He was credited 5-7 from the field, 0-1 FT, 4 RB, 1 Assist, 1 TO, 1 Stl, 2 Blocks in 18 min. New Hampton was outgunned down low. Alex Karaban as the primary low post defender played tough for 32 min and really showed how valiant he can be, but as a 6'8 soph 215 lbs or so he was overmatched. He got 17 points but was only credited with 2 rebounds and no steals. From watching I think they missed some plays he made.

Putnam Science has more at the guard position than Murray and Diarra. I did not know D'Maurian Williams who played 22 min, 8-11 from the field, 3-4 from deep, 4-4 FT, 4 RB, 2 Assist, 2 Stl, 0 TO 23 pts. Class of 2020 6'5 handled the ball and is uncommitted per the program.

Hoophall was wall to wall people. This game at the other venue was 20 fans and 20 assistant coaches including Tom Moore. Able to watch the game so close the ball came to me 3x. Also able to mention Sanogo and Karaban to Moore while thanking him for Jackson and Brown-Ferguson all in one breath. I'm sure he valued my comments, (insert tongue in cheek emoji).

Reaction Score
He's the bruiser we need. Also reclass-eligible. Would rather have him than Carlton next year, he is better at every aspect of the game than Carlton other than jumping.

I really hope Hurley doesn't put all his eggs in the Cliff basket and lets Sanogo fall elsewhere if Cliff doesn't come our way.
I would be happy with Sanogo in any year, but I would be nervous about him getting eligibility for 2020-2021. They'd be risking another Springs situation.

Reaction Score
Misc
East Catholic was mentioned earlier in the thread. Archbishop Stepinac had #58 PG RJ Davis going to UNC but AJ Griffin #5 in 2021 going to Duke and Aubrey's brother, did not play. Archbishop had nothing else and East Catholic jumped out 17-0 then 21-2 and it was over. He only had spot duty, but I assume Drew Hurley is Danny's son? East Catholic is a good team but wouldn't match up to the loaded teams with size.

Hunter Dickinson 7'2 at Dematha going to Michigan is a load, can make post moves with power, and can shoot. He missed some vs Simeon (Chicago) but made the same shots vs #1 7'0 Evan Mobley & Rancho Christian. Dematha's Earl Timberlake #28 2020 going to Miami is a lot like Cumberland at Cinci, a powerful player that can play guard. With Matt Cross, and Timberlake I think Miami has helped themselves. I thought Timberlake was as good as anybody on Saturday.

There must have been at least 6 quality bigs that are in the 7'2 range and over 250 lbs and have some skills.
Dickinson, Harold Yu 7'3 Sierra Canyon, Zach Edey 7'3 IMG, to start the list.

Lance Ware is the real deal. He plays hard, rebounds, scores, leads. With him and Terrence Clarke, and BJ Boston, KY next year is loaded again.

New Hampton has a 2022 Dorcester guard to keep an eye on as a combo guard. Kyle Hicks is 6'4 and built strong. Played 22 min vs Putnam Science, shot 4-4, 1-1 from 3.

Fun to watch the next generation; Zaire Wade, Bronny James, and Alex Antetokounmpo play. Jamal Mashburn Jr I've seen several times.

My Choices to Impact UConn
2021 Adama Sanogo 6'9 245lb wide body The Patrick School who can play up tempo
2021 Elijah Hutchins-Everett 6'11 wider body at least 245lb Putnam Science

One of these guys on the court with a rim protector like Akok gives us interior defense, and rebounds to outlet to stud wings like Bouknight & Jackson for transition. On offense they can overpower defenders and are each relentless putting the ball back, (6 Off Rbs Hutchins-Everett in 16 min of play). Both on the court at the same time doesn't allow enough room for defensive players to also be in the paint. Strengthwise I bet Hutchins-Everett could hold position with Kofi, that might be a bit too much for Sanogo

2022 Alex Karaban 6'8 with basketball IQ, classroom smarts, and like Neils Giffey/Tyler Lydon can hit a 3, defend the post, play through him offensively, and spot up.

Ok thats what I've got except 1 anecdote to post as a separate thread.

Reaction Score
These are the types guys Hurley needs to consistently lock up to be successful. KO missing on Hamidou to UK was ok just like if Cliff chooses UK it'll be ok. But KO absolutely dropping the ball on high level talent where blue bloods weren't involved such as with guys like AJ Reeves helped lead to his firing. Hurley's gotta lock up these high major-but not blue blood guys in our own backyard.

Seems like Indiana, Michigan, MSU, OSU do a great job locking up in-state top 150 guys

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Misc
East Catholic was mentioned earlier in the thread. Archbishop Stepinac had #58 PG RJ Davis going to UNC but AJ Griffin #5 in 2021 going to Duke and Aubrey's brother, did not play. Archbishop had nothing else and East Catholic jumped out 17-0 then 21-2 and it was over. He only had spot duty, but I assume Drew Hurley is Danny's son? East Catholic is a good team but wouldn't match up to the loaded teams with size.

Hunter Dickinson 7'2 at Dematha going to Michigan is a load, can make post moves with power, and can shoot. He missed some vs Simeon (Chicago) but made the same shots vs #1 7'0 Evan Mobley & Rancho Christian. Dematha's Earl Timberlake #28 2020 going to Miami is a lot like Cumberland at Cinci, a powerful player that can play guard. With Matt Cross, and Timberlake I think Miami has helped themselves. I thought Timberlake was as good as anybody on Saturday.

There must have been at least 6 quality bigs that are in the 7'2 range and over 250 lbs and have some skills.
Dickinson, Harold Yu 7'3 Sierra Canyon, Zach Edey 7'3 IMG, to start the list.

Lance Ware is the real deal. He plays hard, rebounds, scores, leads. With him and Terrence Clarke, and BJ Boston, KY next year is loaded again.

New Hampton has a 2022 Dorcester guard to keep an eye on as a combo guard. Kyle Hicks is 6'4 and built strong. Played 22 min vs Putnam Science, shot 4-4, 1-1 from 3.

Fun to watch the next generation; Zaire Wade, Bronny James, and Alex Antetokounmpo play. Jamal Mashburn Jr I've seen several times.

One of these guys on the court with a rim protector like Akok gives us interior defense, and rebounds to outlet to stud wings like Bouknight & Jackson for transition. On offense they can overpower defenders and are each relentless putting the ball back, (6 Off Rbs Hutchins-Everett in 16 min of play). Both on the court at the same time doesn't allow enough room for defensive players to also be in the paint. Strengthwise I bet Hutchins-Everett could hold position with Kofi, that might be a bit too much for Sanogo

2022 Alex Karaban 6'8 with basketball IQ, classroom smarts, and like Neils Giffey/Tyler Lydon can hit a 3, defend the post, play through him offensively, and spot up.

Ok thats what I've got except 1 anecdote to post as a separate thread.
Great read, thanks!!

Reaction Score
He's already 18 years old. I'm also 100% willing to take that risk, he's exactly the type of player we need inside
Agreed depending on the alternative. I still would prefer Cliff for next year because he’s someone who could be an athletic rim runner that shoots a high percentage, which this team lacks. But either would be a welcome addition. Hopefully we can land either of them or a good grad transfer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Putnam Science Academy vs New Hampton (Alex Karaban 2022)
I hadn't watched Putnam Science since Diallo/Diarra years. I thought Putnam Science was going to be Jaylen Murray, Hassan Diarra, and a tall thin Josh Gray at center. Holy Hoops Batman !! This team is bigger than NBA teams and has a ton of talent. A Russian, Vladislav Goldin 2020 C at 7'0 215 lbs or more, is the starter, Other size is Josh Gray 2020 7'0 220 lbs ranked in the180's, as well as Elijah Hutchins-Everett, who was listed at 6'11 220 lbs class of 2021 and ranked #180 or so in that class. Everrett is more 245 with a butt that moves people around. They also have a 7'2 player that didn't dress. Moreover, for long stretches they played 2 of these guys together on the court. All of them are fluid, tough, and contributors. I would welcome any of the 3 to UConn. Josh Gray was better, stronger, and rougher than I expected. In 20 min he only scored 2 pts, got 2 RBs, and 1 block, and went 0-3 at the line, but he looked better than that anchoring the paint. Hutchins-Everrett is an imposing beast. His line in just 16 min was 4-7, 3-5 FT, 10 RB (6 Off), 1 Assist. Goldin I was favorably impressed with but have more trouble recalling specifics. He was credited 5-7 from the field, 0-1 FT, 4 RB, 1 Assist, 1 TO, 1 Stl, 2 Blocks in 18 min. New Hampton was outgunned down low. Alex Karaban as the primary low post defender played tough for 32 min and really showed how valiant he can be, but as a 6'8 soph 215 lbs or so he was overmatched. He got 17 points but was only credited with 2 rebounds and no steals. From watching I think they missed some plays he made.

Putnam Science has more at the guard position than Murray and Diarra. I did not know D'Maurian Williams who played 22 min, 8-11 from the field, 3-4 from deep, 4-4 FT, 4 RB, 2 Assist, 2 Stl, 0 TO 23 pts. Class of 2020 6'5 handled the ball and is uncommitted per the program.

Hoophall was wall to wall people. This game at the other venue was 20 fans and 20 assistant coaches including Tom Moore. Able to watch the game so close the ball came to me 3x. Also able to mention Sanogo and Karaban to Moore while thanking him for Jackson and Brown-Ferguson all in one breath. I'm sure he valued my comments, (insert tongue in cheek emoji).

Tom Moore's accessible and listens and remembered a player I mentioned to him from Brewster who ended up elsewhere so YOUR RECOMMENDATION really could be the key to UConn's future. D'Maurian Williams sounds like someone else we should hope he looks at before he's gone, like Diarra.

Reaction Score
I went to the AIC venue instead and it was pretty good. You could get right up close. No issues, decent concessions - it was good.

Reaction Score
As long as your recognize that your impressions are from one game, and the limits that come with that, there shouldn't be any hesitation in sharing those impressions even if they are outside the consensus.
Thank you for your observations.

FWIW, I wasn't blown away at all by Cliff, either. Not even a little bit. I'm hopeful it was SSS, but I didn't see it.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I wasn't blown away at all by Cliff, either. Not even a little bit. I'm hopeful it was SSS, but I didn't see it.

But please, let’s keep talking about how as a freshman he would run Carlton and Ferguson off the court...Let’s be real here guys. He’d have a minimal impact as a freshman and there’s no way Kentucky prioritizes him.

Reaction Score
But please, let’s keep talking about how as a freshman he would run Carlton and Ferguson off the court...Let’s be real here guys. He’d have a minimal impact as a freshman and there’s no way Kentucky prioritizes him.

Well not throwing the baby out with the bathwater here - I think he's a good player who stands to be outstanding over the course of his time here - but he struck me as an in-the-paint, back-to-the-basket guy almost exclusively. He never really strayed out of the paint until he had to - and all he did was dominate guys way smaller than him. The minute he ran into a bigger guy, it wasn't the same player.

I saw both of Putnam's bigs - the Russian kid and Hutchins-Everett - and honestly just based on what I saw (bear in mind, super small sample here) - I like both *a lot better* than Cliff. Both just did and do a lot more.

Reaction Score
Well not throwing the baby out with the bathwater here - I think he's a good player who stands to be outstanding over the course of his time here - but he struck me as an in-the-paint, back-to-the-basket guy almost exclusively. He never really strayed out of the paint until he had to - and all he did was dominate guys way smaller than him. The minute he ran into a bigger guy, it wasn't the same player.

I saw both of Putnam's bigs - the Russian kid and Hutchins-Everett - and honestly just based on what I saw (bear in mind, super small sample here) - I like both *a lot better* than Cliff. Both just did and do a lot more.

Oh absolutely. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be good here. He absolutely would be. What I’m saying is I wish people would stop acting like freshman Cliff Omoruyi would solve all of our problems at the center. Carlton is our starting center next season whether people like it or not. He may be inefficient and not fit Hurley’s system but he will be the best option we have next year at center, by far.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Oh absolutely. I’m not saying he wouldn’t be good here. He absolutely would be. What I’m saying is I wish people would stop acting like freshman Cliff Omoruyi would solve all of our problems at the center. Carlton is our starting center next season whether people like it or not. He may be inefficient and not fit Hurley’s system but he will be the best option we have next year at center, by far.
You did see carlton not play the second half yesterday, right? You don't gotta be a 1 and done to start at center for us next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom