Hoopgurlz 2014 Top 25 | The Boneyard

Hoopgurlz 2014 Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
don't know much about any of those players. except for Turner. and jatarie white (#3) was very impressive at teh U16 games. she was the 4th leading scorer on a team of kids mostly a year older than her.

Sierra's brother, Omar, verbaled to UCONN and he's from the class of 2012.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Sierra and her CTK team will be playing at Springfield College on January 13, 2012 against a local high school team. Also on the bill will be Cicero North against a local....Cicero with 2012 #1 Breanna Stewart. Hope the Boneyard makes its presence felt bigtime.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
Mitchell is the guard who shined at the u16 trials but was cut, by some speculation for accidentally wearing her jersey backwards in one scrimmage. She said the trials were too political and would not return.

She's all over hoopgurlz coverage for the summer tho. She's a very dynamic scorer who took over a number of games this summer in elite tournaments.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Mitchell is the guard who shined at the u16 trials but was cut, by some speculation for accidentally wearing her jersey backwards in one scrimmage. She said the trials were too political and would not return.

I'm sure that's why she didn't make the U-16 team. If she doesn't know by now that the tag goes in the back then how could she possibly play for the USA.

Where does this stuff come from?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks. I just saw that.

Hoopgurlz says there are some fabulous PGs in the group. For those of us who were saying we need another guard in 2013, maybe 2014 would work.

Interestingly, only the top 3 players are listed as 5 stars. That's a small number, but maybe it's normal this far out.

Venson and Belton are in my area. I'll try to watch them.

There is also a player named Mychal Johnson--another MJ!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm sure that's why she didn't make the U-16 team. If she doesn't know by now that the tag goes in the back then how could she possibly play for the USA.

Where does this stuff come from?
Apparently she wanted to be different. Team USA didn't like the idea.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Apparently she wanted to be different. Team USA didn't like the idea.

Okay. I just googled her and USA basketball and sure enough, Hoopgurlz was all over the backward jersey incident. There's even a photo of her wearing the backward jersey. (As an aside, now knowing what these jerseys look like, it's not easy to wear it backwards by accident. The USA letters across the front are tough to miss.) The story even pointed out that no one from USA basketball bothered let her know that her jersey was on backwards, implying I guess that the coaches were content to use it against her.

Now we know. She'll never be able to play for Chris Dailey. Who knows what socks she'd wear!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Okay. I just googled her and USA basketball and sure enough, Hoopgurlz was all over the backward jersey incident. There's even a photo of her wearing the backward jersey. (As an aside, now knowing what these jerseys look like, it's not easy to wear it backwards by accident. The USA letter across the front are tough to miss.) The story even pointed out that no one from USA basketball bothered let her know that her jersey was on backwards, implying I guess that the coaches were content to use it against her.

Now we know. She'll never be able to play for Chris Dailey. Who knows what socks she'd wear!
She's probably want to wear socks like these:

diana-taurasi-air-max-lebron-vii-pe-3.jpg

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Is Michala Johnson's litte sister Malayna in 2014?

Reaction Score
Can you imagine how many points D would have scored if she could wear those at UConn :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sierra Calhoun (looking a little like Renee, in my opinion)

sierra--500x380.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
that's a great picture of Diana. i've come to realize that it's pointless to get too worked up about players from too far out. it's great to be aware of them. kids who are highly rated are probably going to have all the usual suspects after them. schools like tennessee, unc and baylor will continue to try to get early verbals from these kids.

Baylor and Minnesota already have verbals from 2014. UNC, tennessee, texas (x2), maryland (x2), L'ville, and then Wake and Dayton already have verbals for 2013

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
that's a great picture of Diana. i've come to realize that it's pointless to get too worked up about players from too far out. it's great to be aware of them. kids who are highly rated are probably going to have all the usual suspects after them. schools like tennessee, unc and baylor will continue to try to get early verbals from these kids.

Baylor and Minnesota already have verbals from 2014. UNC, tennessee, texas (x2), maryland (x2), L'ville, and then Wake and Dayton already have verbals for 2013

You're in San Diego. Chill! :)

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell got a lot of press time this past summer. Some folks at HG suggest she may be the best guard in both 2013 and 2014 classes. I have not seen her play, but, hoping to as she is just up the road a bit from me, in Cincinnati.

Someone mentioned A'ja Ellison. Surprised to not see her in the 25, but, I know it is very early. I think you will see her in the ranks next time they revisit the class of 2014. Coach Walz saw her at some point last year and offered a scholarship. Her dad is a legend in these parts. Not sure if that will help or hurt, but we got some kids coming in 2013 whose dads played for Louisville and Kentucky(Goodin-Rogers and Epps) that will keep her in good company if we are fortunate enough to land her services. I heard/read Stanford is actually pretty high up her list as a potential.

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2014

#1 Kelsey Mitchell -First I have heard of her
#2 Brianna Turner -I have heard that UCONN is interested

#11 Sierra Calhoun -Another UCONN interest

5 out of the top 25 are from Ohio. The most out of all the states.

Thoughts? Comments?

There was a huge discussion here about Kelsey Mitchell back in May. It will be interesting to see if UConn will shun her as a recruiting target as many here seem intent to believe/hope.
BTW: She plays for the same AAU team that gave us Barbara Turner and Mel Thomas(one of my favorite stories).

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell got a lot of press time this past summer. Some folks at HG suggest she may be the best guard in both 2013 and 2014 classes. I have not seen her play, but, hoping to as she is just up the road a bit from me, in Cincinnati.

Someone mentioned A'ja Ellison. Surprised to not see her in the 25, but, I know it is very early. I think you will see her in the ranks next time they revisit the class of 2014. Coach Walz saw her at some point last year and offered a scholarship. Her dad is a legend in these parts. Not sure if that will help or hurt, but we got some kids coming in 2013 whose dads played for Louisville and Kentucky(Goodin-Rogers and Epps) that will keep her in good company if we are fortunate enough to land her services. I heard/read Stanford is actually pretty high up her list as a potential.

Never Nervous Purvis Ellison is quite the legend, indeed, in Lousiville. It is hard to believe it has been 25 years since that 1986 championship run culminating in the victory over Johnny Dawkins and Duke.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There was a huge discussion here about Kelsey Mitchell back in May. It will be interesting to see if UConn will shun her as a recruiting target as many here seem intent to believe/hope.
BTW: She plays for the same AAU team that gave us Barbara Turner and Mel Thomas(one of my favorite stories).
huh? who on this board believes/hopes UCONN will shun Mitchell?

Reaction Score
Brianna Turner

IMG_4277.JPG
This picture of Turner, a tip in with her hand above the rim is very impressive. A player that can play the game over the rim level is quite unique to the womans' game and she is only a h. s. sophmore. She would be a very talented recruit to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom