Hoopfeed Video: UConn players discuss the new season, the world championship and new roles | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hoopfeed Video: UConn players discuss the new season, the world championship and new roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
FWIW, I happen to think that Ekmark will be backing up KML this year. I'm just apprehensive on drawing conclusions from one wind sprint session.
And I have to admit that Nurse will probably be the only freshman to see substantial game time this year. Remember Stewart and Jefferson (and they were ranked #1 & #2) their freshman year ? Only a select few freshman can join a team that plays at UConn's level and be expected to contribute right away.

I'm not guaranteeing anything, but don't you think Ekmark looked slow and a bit stiff in that video and last night? I'm not trying to knock her, it's just an observation. She seems to be a notch or two below Faris in terms of athleticism and flexibility, but maybe it's just me.

I do agree about the freshmen minutes. If Tuck is really healthy, I can see her, Stewart, MoJeff, KML, and Stokes getting 145 minutes combined which would only leave about 55 for the other five.

Reaction Score
I'm not guaranteeing anything, but don't you think Ekmark looked slow and a bit stiff in that video and last night? I'm not trying to knock her, it's just an observation. She seems to be a notch or two below Faris in terms of athleticism and flexibility, but maybe it's just me.

I do agree about the freshmen minutes. If Tuck is really healthy, I can see her, Stewart, MoJeff, KML, and Stokes getting 145 minutes combined which would only leave about 55 for the other five.

I would agree that, at this point in her career, she's probably not as athletic as Faris was. And, while not as strong as KML, I think her athleticism is on par with KML. And that level of athleticism doesn't seem to have hampered KML's college basketball career very much. We KNOW that Ekmark can shoot the ball, yet if we went by shooting results from last night she would be behind Lawlor in the rotation. Let's give all of them more playing time before relegating some to the bench.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And that level of athleticism doesn't seem to have hampered KML's college basketball career very much.

Yes, but KML doesn't have to defend guards which Ekmark would if she started. That's what I'm getting at. I don't think she can defend guards from the admittedly little I've seen of her.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm not guaranteeing anything, but don't you think Ekmark looked slow and a bit stiff in that video and last night? I'm not trying to knock her, it's just an observation.
I'm not trying to knock her but now I'm going to knock her. :rolleyes: We're doomed and she is obviously useless....

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm not trying to knock her but now I'm going to knock her. :rolleyes: We're doomed and she is obviously useless....

Unless the only observations we can make are glowing ones, I don't know what to tell you. I thought her athleticism and quickness were lacking just as I have been really impressed with Nurse on both those fronts. And that observation leads me to believe Ekmark's not a guard at the collegiate level, at least not on a team like UConn which will have better options.

Reaction Score
Yes, but KML doesn't have to defend guards which Ekmark would if she started. That's what I'm getting at. I don't think she can defend guards from the admittedly little I've seen of her.

In my post at the top of this page I wrote that, IMO, Ekmark will be backing up KML this year. Would she have problems guarding some 2's ? Perhaps (but not in the AAC !), she is a freshman after all. But KML played some 2 last year when UConn went with the big lineup and I don't remember it costing UConn any games.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But KML played some 2 last year when UConn went with the big lineup and I don't remember it costing UConn any games.

I don't know if it would cost them games considering how good they'll be, but I can't see the coaching staff going with her as the starting two. I really think that's between Chong and Nurse.

Reaction Score
I would agree that, at this point in her career, she's probably not as athletic as Faris was. And, while not as strong as KML, I think her athleticism is on par with KML. And that level of athleticism doesn't seem to have hampered KML's college basketball career very much. We KNOW that Ekmark can shoot the ball, yet if we went by shooting results from last night she would be behind Lawlor in the rotation. Let's give all of them more playing time before relegating some to the bench.
Nahhh. It's time for final judgment. After 3 days of practice, playing a 20-minute game with men (with a men's ball), we need the next 4 years' starting lineups by midnight tonight!

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
So we still have some questions to be answered...

Will the contribution of Kiah Stokes increase? We need scoring from her.

Saniya Chong.. Will she step up and put them down?

Morgan Tuck... Her return and contribution?

Who is first off the bench when we need points?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just an FYI - though she didn't necessarily look it Kelly F. was one of the best athletes ever on the Uconn WBB team. Fast, strong, good leaping ability and very good 'quick twitch' muscles. Add to that a first class basketball mind in terms of anticipation and tendencies. To find that any player freshman or otherwise does not compare favorably to Kelly is 'shocking, truly shocking'!:cool:
I think probably a better comparison for Ekmark is another blond from the west - Ann Strother. And unlike Ann who had to contribute immediately Courtney is coming into a situation where there are more options at her possible positions and will likely not see as much time in her first year. Ann was listed at 6'3" so a little taller but with I think similar athleticism and rep for a good outside shooter.

Reaction Score
I thought that the clip of Kia Nurse was awesome. Her poise and her responses were overtly impressive. She seems to have such a cool head and with her athleticism and size, I think we've got a really GOOD ONE! I also loved the clip of Stewie and where her head is. I think her summer with the national team is really going to enhance the new and improved version, Stewie 3! All the interviews were impressive and I'm thankful for having had the opportunity to see them! How could any UConn fan not be pumped, with this group of kids????

Reaction Score
Along with Gabby....Think Gabby would be better appreciated at Stanford or her other offers....And with Nurses superior skills and three point abilities..she should opt for the pros after her first year as starter.

Reaction Score
I thought that the clip of Kia Nurse was awesome. Her poise and her responses were overtly impressive. She seems to have such a cool head and with her athleticism and size, I think we've got a really GOOD ONE! I also loved the clip of Stewie and where her head is. I think her summer with the national team is really going to enhance the new and improved version, Stewie 3! All the interviews were impressive and I'm thankful for having had the opportunity to see them! How could any UConn fan not be pumped, with this group of kids????

Great post! I really enjoyed talking to Nurse; you're right about being poised. She's going to be a good one.

Reaction Score
I just don't think Ekmark comes across as a 2-guard defensively. There would seem to be better positions for her to defend whereas there really aren't for KML. If you saw the scrimmage last night, Ekmark doesn't appear to have the lateral quickness or footwork to defend quick players. Now obviously that's just based on 10 minutes of an exhibition, but the differences between her and Nurse in that regard were pretty stark. I'd also say Chong looked much quicker last year as well. We'll see. Maybe she'll look quicker next time out.

Could this explain why she took the year off to work on her game. I remember her being amazed about the skill/physical level of the college game and thinking that her senior year would not do the job. At the same time I do not think mayberry(sp) at ND is the quickest I have seen, but she gets her shots off and they go in; yet, not the prettiest.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Maria Conlon's ability to be slow of foot was legendary, helped quite a bit by her coach's witticisms. It's likely she would have been a full circuit behind KML after a half circuit in that wind sprint.

Still, she had three slow fingers to put NC rings on, and she was the bomb detonating, deceptively defensive other half of the starting guard tandem with DT for two years, and I guess you could even say she was Sue Bird's replacement. But she was slow.

As the tortoise would say, being smart and knowing where you want to end up beats being fast.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Forming an opinion of a player, not just Courtney Ekmark, but any player based on the distorted film of a first practice wind sprint and a brief appearance in a meaningless exhibition is silly. Ekmark committed to UConn as a sophomore, if Geno and the staff didn't believe she could play and contribute at this level then I doubt she'd be on the team. I know most of you have been waiting with baited breath for the season and now that its finally here the giddiness is overwhelming. Let's give Courtney more than one wind sprint and a few minutes in an exhibition game before we assess how good she will or will not be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Forming an opinion of a player, not just Courtney Ekmark, but any player based on the distorted film of a first practice wind sprint and a brief appearance in a meaningless exhibition is silly. ..... Let's give Courtney more than one wind sprint and a few minutes in an exhibition game before we assess how good she will or will not be.

There's a difference between noticing a lack of athleticism/mobility in a player and concluding how good that player will be. I never said she couldn't be good or effective. But I will bet my life that Geno will make she sure she isn't defending quick guards.

Reaction Score
Maria Conlon's ability to be slow of foot was legendary, helped quite a bit by her coach's witticisms. It's likely she would have been a full circuit behind KML after a half circuit in that wind sprint.

Still, she had three slow fingers to put NC rings on, and she was the bomb detonating, deceptively defensive other half of the starting guard tandem with DT for two years, and I guess you could even say she was Sue Bird's replacement. But she was slow.

As the tortoise would say, being smart and knowing where you want to end up beats being fast.
All other things being equal (which of course they never are), speed kills.

Reaction Score
Geno will fit the players into where their strengths lie. If Courtney is a dead eye three point shooter but not the quickest player on the court, she can be the trailing player who receives the pass and pulls up and knocks down the three before the defense can react. Imagine how that would open up the inside for Stewie, Kiah and Morgan!

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
All other things being equal (which of course they never are), speed kills.
In football, bobsledding, and track and field, yes. In basketball, only a little and at rare moments. Far more important are balance, tenacity, size, court sense, peripheral vision, touch, communication, and the muscle knowledge that comes from countless hours of practice. Raw speed like the kind that Ariel Massengale exhibits is often a detriment to a team because it is hard to harness effectively, especially when the player wants to play at a pace that kills her teammates.

On the other hand, Maria Conlon was so short and slow that opposing players "knew" they could just lob a little inbounds pass over her head, only to find she had turned into the jumping-jack Maria Conned-you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom