Hoopfeed: Strong second half by Moriah Jefferson keys UConn rout of Duke, 83-52 | The Boneyard

Hoopfeed: Strong second half by Moriah Jefferson keys UConn rout of Duke, 83-52

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some thoughts from my seat on the endline...

Still, Duke did get off to that strong start, leading 6-5 four minutes in, but when McCallie went to a bigger lineup, sitting senior point guard Ka’lia Johnson and leaving a freshmen backcourt of Sierra Calhoun and Rebecca Greenwell to handle UConn’s pressure defense, the momentum turned.

Over the next four minutes, Duke turned the ball over seven times, and their 6-5 lead became an 18-8 deficit. While they made a run to tie it at 22 with eight minutes to go in the half, UConn went on a 11-4 run to close out the period with a 33-26 lead.

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/201...riah-jefferson-keys-uconn-rout-of-duke-83-52/

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Some thoughts from my seat on the endline...

Still, Duke did get off to that strong start, leading 6-5 four minutes in, but when McCallie went to a bigger lineup, sitting senior point guard Ka’lia Johnson and leaving a freshmen backcourt of Sierra Calhoun and Rebecca Greenwell to handle UConn’s pressure defense, the momentum turned.

Over the next four minutes, Duke turned the ball over seven times, and their 6-5 lead became an 18-8 deficit. While they made a run to tie it at 22 with eight minutes to go in the half, UConn went on a 11-4 run to close out the period with a 33-26 lead.

http://www.hoopfeed.com/content/201...riah-jefferson-keys-uconn-rout-of-duke-83-52/

The problem w/ your theory about Ka'lia Johnson is Coach P put her back in 47 seconds later. Before she went out, Johnson had a foul, missed her only shot and turned the ball over. When she came back in she missed her only shot and had another turnover. :rolleyes:
She did have two steals early, but shot 1 for 4 w/ 5 points for the game vs 4 turnovers. IMO, it was UConn's effort that turned momentum, not the Johnson substitution. :cool:

Reactions: HGN
Reaction Score
The problem w/ your theory about Ka'lia Johnson is Coach P put her back in 47 seconds later. Before she went out, Johnson had a foul, missed her only shot and turned the ball over. When she came back in she missed her only shot and had another turnover. :rolleyes:
She did have two steals early, but shot 1 for 4 w/ 5 points for the game vs 4 turnovers. IMO, it was UConn's effort that turned momentum, not the Johnson substitution. :cool:

Except then she took out Calhoun, and stayed big. Greenwell at guard was really the issue. You need two guards that can handle to deal with the pressure, and they didn't make the adjustment.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Nice write up. I'd be curious to know what Duke did to erase the 18-8 deficit and take a 24-22 lead, and then why they went away from it when UCONN went on an 11-4 run to end the half and were dismantled in the 2nd half... Was it something UCONN did, or something Duke didn't do?

I know the easy answer is to say that UCONN outscored them blah blah, but there were stretches where Duke had success against UCONN.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I didn't see the game, Eric, but the game thread strongly suggests that we lost the lead because we turned the ball over, thereby getting no shot attempts and giving Duke easy ones.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Nice write up. I'd be curious to know what Duke did to erase the 18-8 deficit and take a 24-22 lead, and then why they went away from it when UCONN went on an 11-4 run to end the half and were dismantled in the 2nd half... Was it something UCONN did, or something Duke didn't do?

I know the easy answer is to say that UCONN outscored them blah blah, but there were stretches where Duke had success against UCONN.

eric....From 18-8 to their 24-22 lead, UConn missed five shots and had 3 turnovers. Duke's Williams & Stevens had 5 baskets... score 24-22...
Then the Chong steal put UConn back up and Duke had 3 straight turnovers. Then KML hit two 3's...the rest is history...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom