Honeymoon is over | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Honeymoon is over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember JC's first year? We lost to Yale, and lost two players because of grades. It's a good thing he stayed around. Give Ollie a chance.

We had Greg Economou, a walk on, starting at the 2G. The difference, IMO, is that those kids played hard. They weren't overly talented, especially after Cliffy and Gamble were suspended, but they battled even though they sucked and lost 19 games. Off of that first year you were left w/ the thought that if given some talent, JC could win especially after having proved it at Northeastern. In JC's 2nd year we won the NIT. There was immediate and obvious improvement. KO inherited much more talent, had a solid first year, and now we have seemed to regress.

Comparing the beginnings of JC and KO is not an apt comparison. I'm not saying KO should go or anything even remotely close to that, but he should be held to a higher standard as he clearly had much, much more at his disposal.

Reaction Score
We had Greg Economou, a walk on, starting at the 2G. The difference, IMO, is that those kids played hard. They weren't overly talented, especially after Cliffy and Gamble were suspended, but they battled even though they sucked and lost 19 games. Off of that first year you were left w/ the thought that if given some talent, JC could win especially after having proved it at Northeastern. In JC's 2nd year we won the NIT. There was immediate and obvious improvement. KO inherited much more talent, had a solid first year, and now we have seemed to regress.

Comparing the beginnings of JC and KO is not an apt comparison. I'm not saying KO should go or anything even remotely close to that, but he should be held to a higher standard as he clearly had much, much more at his disposal.

Yeah the walk on was a soccer player named Hall or something……..Econmou was a baseball player………We could use Besselink though huh boog?

Reaction Score
Yeah the walk on was a soccer player named Hall or something……..Econmou was a baseball player………We could use Besselink though huh boog?

Besselink was a double double guy, wasn't he? That was the team w/ Pikiell too I think. Before his shoulder would separate every five minutes and he was actually decent.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My suggestion is to have each and every one of us have the opportunity to coach this group of players and see if the suggestions we're offering would change things for the better. And I suggest that all of us should have an opportunity to evaluate our various performances and efforts. It would be hilarious.

I ran an office for twenty years and listened to people bitch and moan about other people and how they handled their jobs, so I popped them out of their positions and put them into the jobs of people they bitched about. Loved it. After two weeks every one who bitched understood the difficulties the other people faced and apologized for their bitching.

Everyone went back to their roles and harmony was restored. But not for long because the people who loved to bitch started to bitch about someone else, and even began to regress and started to bitch about the same people who they had an opportunity to understand. In other words certain people just believe that they can do things better than everyone else even after it was proven not to be the case. And amongst this group there is a subset that loves to let everyone else know about this.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My suggestion is to have each and every one of us have the opportunity to coach this group of players and see if the suggestions we're offering would change things for the better. And I suggest that all of us should have an opportunity to evaluate our various performances and efforts. It would be hilarious.

I ran an office for twenty years and listened to people bitch and moan about other people and how they handled their jobs, so I popped them out of their positions and put them into the jobs of people they bitched about. Loved it. After two weeks every one who bitched understood the difficulties the other people faced and apologized for their bitching.

Everyone went back to their roles and harmony was restored. But not for long because the people who loved to bitch started to bitch about someone else, and even began to regress and started to bitch about the same people who they had an opportunity to understand. In other words certain people just believe that they can do things better than everyone else even after it was proven not to be the case. And amongst this group there is a subset that loves to let everyone else know about this.
If everyone stopped bitching, would the boneyard disappear?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If everyone stopped bitching, would the boneyard disappear?
It would look like a Muslim Brimah after Ramadan!

Reaction Score
So what do you like about Ollie this year? You mentioned bad play calling, bad defense, bad passing, ball movement, fundamentals, rebounding and bad rotations. What's left?

He's clearly good at motivating the team. Yes, the team looked strange last game, but over the past two season, we've seen that enough to know that he's a good motivator.

I also think some of the issues are players issues..like bad habits on defense, lack of passing/ball movement, and rebounding are things Ollie needs to work on (and I've seen improvement in boxing out..) but I don't think they are because of Ollie.

I do think he needs to work on the offense. But I was never impressed with Calhoun's offense either. (And he won anyway.)

Reaction Score
He's clearly good at motivating the team. Yes, the team looked strange last game, but over the past two season, we've seen that enough to know that he's a good motivator.

I also think some of the issues are players issues..like bad habits on defense, lack of passing/ball movement, and rebounding are things Ollie needs to work on (and I've seen improvement in boxing out..) but I don't think they are because of Ollie.

I do think he needs to work on the offense. But I was never impressed with Calhoun's offense either. (And he won anyway.)

Hate to align w/ a hater, so to speak, but I can't say he's motivated the team all that well this year. Lately, we've come out like dog turd in the first half. We look flat and lifeless. Earlier in the season, we would blow lead after lead and have to hold on. So there's something w/ the team that's not clicking.

We have lots of bad habits and most of those are habits that were brought here. But if KO is just going to have a constipated look while these bad habits permeate, then he is not addressing them in any way. Agree w/ you on the offense. I'm really disappointed that a guy w/ KOs pedigree hasn't put in anything even remotely interesting.

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't have a coaching philosophy. He has no offense. We stand around and set ball screens. At this moment in time he is an awful coach. We never screen away from the ball, we don't even push the ball up well. Hopefully he can get this thing turned around. He is lucky he has a couple nie recruits coming in.

Reaction Score
Ollie doesn't have a coaching philosophy. He has no offense. We stand around and set ball screens. At this moment in time he is an awful coach. We never screen away from the ball, we don't even push the ball up well. Hopefully he can get this thing turned around. He is lucky he has a couple nie recruits coming in.

He definitely needs to get better in areas but that's fine……."awful" isn't at all accurate but hey, it's an opinion board!

Most would try to look at what he has playing out there to really understand the teams issues…….cause it ain't much!

Reaction Score
hes got plenty to work with on offense. Napier is a first round pick. Boatright Daniels Giffey and Kromah will all make money playing basketball somewhere. The rebounding issues I understand the terrible offense vs both man and zone I don't.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I personally don't care enough to find it, but I think it would be interesting to see what you people were saying about KO's coaching when we beat MSU, ND and Cuse (and taking Otto Porter Jr. and Co. to double OT) last year with fewer pieces than we have this year. Unless you're going to try to chalk it all up to Wolf.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Does anyone remember JC's first year? We lost to Yale, and lost two players because of grades. It's a good thing he stayed around. Give Ollie a chance.
Earl Kelly with a gun on campus and got kicked off the team, correct? He should have stolen a laptop....

Reaction Score
I think Ollie needs to motivate these players more. I am sick of seeing his negative facial expressions on the sidelines. It just brings negative vibe for the team. He needs to be himself and not Calhoun pulling quick hook on players unless it's a effort problem. Needs to be a coach and teach them some how and some way to get better!

Reaction Score
I think this is right. His offensive "philosophy" to the extent he has any is the NBA from the mid-1990s through about 2002...everybody stand around until the shot clock runs down then try and take your guy 1 on 1. That's an exaggeration, I know, but that's what it looks like too many times. And I'm sad to say this, but when things aren't going well, and you look at Ollie on the bench, he looks befuddled to the extent that he reminds me of the looks Pasqualoni had when things weren"t going right. My sense is that he's over his head.

Reaction Score
We have rarely had a great offense, especially against the zones, and certainly not one based on lots of player movement. The great teams always had at least one guy who could create his own shot within the offense...Ray, Rip, Caron, Donyell, Kemba to name a few. This team has Shabazz, but teams have seemed to find a way to take him out of his game recently.

Reaction Score
Earl Kelly with a gun on campus and got kicked off the team, correct? He should have stolen a laptop....
That happened under Perno and was probably his last straw. Earl actually played that year while the investigation went on and then KEPT playing when the University kicked him off campus with the court case still pending. But Earl stopped going to classes in the fall assuming he'd be kicked out so he was declared academically ineligible early in the 2nd semester. A case study in individual and institutional mismanagement. Also Perno couldn't figure out how to use freshman Cliff Robinson!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think this is right. His offensive "philosophy" to the extent he has any is the NBA from the mid-1990s through about 2002...everybody stand around until the shot clock runs down then try and take your guy 1 on 1. That's an exaggeration, I know, but that's what it looks like too many times. And I'm sad to say this, but when things aren't going well, and you look at Ollie on the bench, he looks befuddled to the extent that he reminds me of the looks Pasqualoni had when things weren"t going right. My sense is that he's over his head.

That was not far off from JC's philosophy. It's been a pro style offense for a long time. Takes advantage of our athletes. One of the problems is that we are not as athletic of a team right now.

There was also a bit of inside-out play under JC, and that unfortunately is ineffective atm, due to the deficiency of our big men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom