Homemade Sriracha | The Boneyard

Homemade Sriracha

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Like making your own sauces? Make your own Sriracha sauce. The flavor is all about the fermentation. Although a Thai chef advised 5-7 days instead of 3 days of fermentation. I used 5. My wife and I both think the flavor is quite like the commercial version. Unless you really like it really hot; just use the jalapenos. By the way Sriracha is pronounced see-ROTCH-ah. (How to Correctly Pronounce SRIRACHA)

Homemade Sriracha

Directions

Ingredients for about 1 1/2 cups Sriracha:
1 1/2 lbs of red jalapenos and red serranos, stems removed
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
3 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp Kosher salt
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I make a really keen "Sriracha catsup" that others might also enjoy. Start with bottled chili sauce and catsup. Mix them about 60/40, favoring the chili sauce. Next, add in Sriracha sauce (to taste) a bit at a time. Mix thoroughly.

This stuff is awesome with burgers, brats, fried eggs, fried spuds, and lots of other dishes.

Try it, and let me know if it worked for you.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this, SVC! I'm moderately taken aback that he recommends jalapenos and serranos rather than some kind of Asian peppers, although maybe the fermentation makes the flavor of the pepper inconsequential. My FIL will have some homegrown chiles for me over the next month or so, I'll definitely try this with them. I've been making sauerkraut recently, and will be trying real pickles and corned beef in a few weeks (although the latter is cured rather then fermented).

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting this, SVC! I'm moderately taken aback that he recommends jalapenos and serranos rather than some kind of Asian peppers, although maybe the fermentation makes the flavor of the pepper inconsequential. My FIL will have some homegrown chiles for me over the next month or so, I'll definitely try this with them. I've been making sauerkraut recently, and will be trying real pickles and corned beef in a few weeks (although the latter is cured rather then fermented).

I saw a article and video featuring David Tran founder of Hoy Fong Foods of rooster sauce fame. Hoy Fong was the name of the boat upon which he escaped South Vietnam. Originally he used serrano peppers. Now he uses red jalapenos for the sriracha sauce. His company produces several sauces of more intense spiciness. Presumably back in the day Asian peppers were not grown in any quantity. Now no so much of a problem. Any case jalapenos are hot enough for us. As my wife says a nice pinch is sufficient. When someone teases us about this, my response is; "I don't consider pain a seasoning."

Once upon a time I agreed to train a company IT teammate who had lived in several countries in Southeast Asia. She knew the cultures and languages. The customer site was in Houston, home of several SE Asian restaurants in the same area. She agreed to order my dinner in a different Asian restaurant every evening and then provide insights to each culture (Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.). First meal was Thai. She ordered a "mild" entree for me. She spoke with the server in Thai. Clearly they found my discomfort funny. I asked what did she order. She ordered an entree made in the style that would be served in Thailand. Using a clean fork she gave me a taste. I regret to this day placing the food in my mouth. How can anyone eat most every meal with such intense heat is beyond me. My God was it ever spicy. I had to have a glass of milk.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Well, I stand corrected. To me Rooster sauce tastes nothing like jalapenos.

At Thai restaurants, I tend to order my dishes medium. I'm not the glutton for heat I once was, but still put some level of heat in most of what I cook. It would be more, but I cook for the wife and daughter, too. That's why I have an assortment of hot sauces, some commercial, some homemade. (I cook a lot of Indian, Mexican, Thai, and Cajun.)

I do every so often eat a whole habanero. That's an experience, which is why there's a word for one who's done it: chilero. The first time I did this, it was a homegrown pepper, from a plant that only yielded one fruit. I bit a little off the end of it, it didn't seem too bad, so bit off up to the stem. Evidently I hadn't gotten any ribs in the first bite, because my whol world went kind of orange due to the pain in my mouth. I had lined up bread, yogurt, cream cheese, milk, and crackers before I went into this endeavor. Nothing worked. I finally took a big mouthful of ice water. That helped my mouth, but not my lips. So I spend six minutes standing over the sink, taking mouthfuls of water and dribbling it out over my burned lips.

I've done this probably every five years since, but always with store-bought peppers, which aren't nearly as hot. Still painful, but not like that first one.

BTW, for some reason, habs do not burn on the way out, so most of my sauces are hab-based.

wally16

Wally16
Reaction Score
Bigboote: I love horseradish and garlic etc. Whenever I overserve myself and feel the heat, I have bread handy. When the heat is too much, take a piece of bread and breathe through the bread with your nose. Always works.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I cook a lot of Indian, Mexican, Thai, and Cajun. We have very similar palates, unfortunately my wife does not like Indian. I only cook Mexican and Cajun but I like to eat low test Thai.

I do every so often eat a whole habanero. OK! See maybe our palates are not the same.

That's an experience, which is why there's a word for one who's done it: chilero. I have another word for this. ;)

The first time I did this, it was a homegrown pepper, from a plant that only yielded one fruit. I bit a little off the end of it, it didn't seem too bad, so bit off up to the stem. Evidently I hadn't gotten any ribs in the first bite, because my whole world went kind of orange due to the pain in my mouth. I had lined up bread, yogurt, cream cheese, milk, and crackers before I went into this endeavor. Nothing worked. I finally took a big mouthful of ice water. That helped my mouth, but not my lips. So I spend six minutes standing over the sink, taking mouthfuls of water and dribbling it out over my burned lips. What about this experience caused you to what to continue for the next 5 years? :rolleyes:

I've done this probably every five years since, but always with store-bought peppers, which aren't nearly as hot. Still painful, but not like that first one.
Capsaicin binds to a special class of receptor primarily on the tongue. After capsaicin binds to this receptor, a sensory neuron sends a signal indicating the presence of a heat stimulus. This receptor is a thermo-receptor for the detection of heat, thus the burning sensation. In some cultures, Mexican for sure, mothers give their children at an early age chili powder mixed with sugar. Over the years this has the effect of destroying or damaging many of their thermo-receptors. Thus they are able to eat spicier foods without as much pain ... and crying. :oops: So over 5 years of habanero munching your have established a great tolerance albeit with many more damaged or dead thermo-receptors. I may be wrong but I don't think so.

BTW, for some reason, habs do not burn on the way out, so most of my sauces are hab-based. Hey! Thanks for sharing! :eek:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The first time I did this, it was a homegrown pepper, from a plant that only yielded one fruit. I bit a little off the end of it, it didn't seem too bad, so bit off up to the stem. Evidently I hadn't gotten any ribs in the first bite, because my whole world went kind of orange due to the pain in my mouth. I had lined up bread, yogurt, cream cheese, milk, and crackers before I went into this endeavor. Nothing worked. I finally took a big mouthful of ice water. That helped my mouth, but not my lips. So I spend six minutes standing over the sink, taking mouthfuls of water and dribbling it out over my burned lips. What about this experience caused you to what to continue for the next 5 years? :rolleyes:

I didn't continue for five years, I do this ONCE about every five years. It's partly machismo (to say I've done it), partly the endorphins. The highest I've ever been was after a dinner of vindaloo, which I asked the folks to make "native". I was affected enough by it that my wife drove home.

Capsaicin binds to a special class of receptor primarily on the tongue. After capsaicin binds to this receptor, a sensory neuron sends a signal indicating the presence of a heat stimulus. This receptor is a thermo-receptor for the detection of heat, thus the burning sensation. In some cultures, Mexican for sure, mothers give their children at an early age chili powder mixed with sugar. Over the years this has the effect of destroying or damaging many of their thermo-receptors. Thus they are able to eat spicier foods without as much pain --- and crying. :oops: So over 5 years of habanero munching your have established a great tolerance albeit with many more damaged or dead thermo-receptors. I may be wrong but I don't think so.

I've really toned down my consumption of chiles in my middle age. Also, believe it or not, I don't do hot for hot's sake, it really is about the flavor. Salsa made with habaneros is really quite different from salsa made with jalapenos, even at the same heat level.

You've got me hungry now; I'm thawing some chicken to make Thai red curry tonight.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I didn't continue for five years, I do this ONCE about every five years. It's partly machismo (to say I've done it), partly the endorphins. The highest I've ever been was after a dinner of vindaloo, which I asked the folks to make "native". I was affected enough by it that my wife drove home.
I've really toned down my consumption of chiles in my middle age. Also, believe it or not, I don't do hot for hot's sake, it really is about the flavor. Salsa made with habaneros is really quite different from salsa made with jalapenos, even at the same heat level.
You've got me hungry now; I'm thawing some chicken to make Thai red curry tonight.
Actually, after writing my response , I too became hungry. We just returned from an early dinner at a new local Mexican restaurant. I had their carnitas verde. It was at the high end of my tolerance but I must admit it was really good. We may have a winner. God knows this area does need a good Mexican restaurant. My wife and I could not stop talking about our two favorite Mexican restaurants and their offerings. Oh no! I drooling again!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom