Home Plate Ump Angles | The Boneyard

Home Plate Ump Angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So the ump blew the call at home tonight on Sawx/Rays game.

He was in a real bad position to make the call and hinted as such in the post game when he mentioned how he couldn't see the foot get in from his vantage point.

My question for those who have umped or coached is this. Is there a trained, proper location for the HP ump to be in for a play at the plate?

I would think the obvious location would be either directly behind the plate or somewhere towards the back of the right handed batters box. That way he has a clean line of sight to the runner and the catcher.

Reaction Score
Hopefully they train them to be in the wrong position when there's a close play at the plate and they get it wrong when a Sox guy is crossing.........;)

They have to know where the play is coming from and position themselves, also looking at the throw. I'm just glad he got it wrong!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Golic brought up my point this morning on Mike and Mike. Why are they trained to go to that position?

Reaction Score
I know this about the umpiring but if Nava had a clue he would scored from 2nd on the double.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It seems each ump is different. We have seen umps 2 feet from the plate looking right down at the collision before. They need to know that the place to see is where runner approaches the plate, not 10 feet away from that area with a hulking catcher in your way.

Reaction Score
So the ump blew the call at home tonight on Sawx/Rays game.

He was in a real bad position to make the call and hinted as such in the post game when he mentioned how he couldn't see the foot get in from his vantage point.

My question for those who have umped or coached is this. Is there a trained, proper location for the HP ump to be in for a play at the plate?

I would think the obvious location would be either directly behind the plate or somewhere towards the back of the right handed batters box. That way he has a clean line of sight to the runner and the catcher.

The umpire is supposed to adjust to where the throw is coming from. When he saw it coming up the first base line, he should have shifted left to get the proper angle. The throw wasn't that far up the line, so his mistake is excusable.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If they are taught to be on the first base side with a runner coming down the 3rd base line, I'd have to question the teachings at umpiring school. The only reason to be in that position is to not get hit with an errant throw. He should have been behind the catcher to the left of home plate. Instant replay should also be used in that situation. It's not like it's a "neighborhood rule" double play. A run was at stake. I am for using instant replay on any play where a run is at stake. If need be, throw a red flag, NFL style, limited to 2 a game.

Games are already too long? enforce the batters box, Enforce the actual strike zone. Enforce the pitch clock. In the age of high definition monitors, showing 18 different angles, including how the guy in yellow tilts the beer cup, "just part of the game," shouldn't exist.

Reaction Score
As a Sox fan, I was really annoyed when I heard about this. However, they still had the ninth inning to make up for it and they didn't. Bottom line, if there wasn't a rain delay, David Price pitches a two-hitter and the Sox lose anyway. I'm moving on. We just need to figure out how to score some runs when facing the Ray's pitchers.

Reaction Score
The umpire is supposed to adjust to where the throw is coming from. When he saw it coming up the first base line, he should have shifted left to get the proper angle. The throw wasn't that far up the line, so his mistake is excusable.
Disagree. The ump had plenty of time to position himself anywhere but where he was and he should have been moving up the line toward 3B. He was in perfect position to get blocked in any number of ways. Umpires are taught to adjust (as you said) and on a play at the plate not to get the catcher between himself and the plate. The umpire should have been in front or behind the plate on that play but he got caught in nowhere land. It happens.
Truth is that play didn't beat the Sox, it was not the winning run and Nava should have scored on the previous play.
The toughest call is catcher's interference on low pitches if you don't hear the bat hit the glove. I've missed that one more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom