Home or Away? | The Boneyard

Home or Away?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Is Lou right? "The way we practice, the way we approach every single game, it’s almost better for us to be away than home in our comfort zone,” Samuelson said. “Some people step up and take the challenge more. We just tend to go out there and play a little harder, play a little better, when we’re away because we know that we have to.” Louisville returning to UConn women's basketball's schedule in 2017-18 season

Ought to be a statistical answer to this one, right?

Who am I to disagree with Lou though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Is Lou right? "The way we practice, the way we approach every single game, it’s almost better for us to be away than home in our comfort zone,” Samuelson said. “Some people step up and take the challenge more. We just tend to go out there and play a little harder, play a little better, when we’re away because we know that we have to.” Louisville returning to UConn women's basketball's schedule in 2017-18 season

Phil??, David?? You got some work to do.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately (for Lou), Massey says otherwise. Massey says UCONN's HFA is 3.77, which is about average for the home court.

Though with that said: It's possible that UCONN plays "average" when it's home and other teams play worse than their average (awe of the banners?) ...when UCONN is away, the other team plays better than their average (UCONN has the target on their back?) - which would then total out to an about average HFA?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately (for Lou), Massey says otherwise. Massey says UCONN's HFA is 3.77, which is about average for the home court.

Though with that said: It's possible that UCONN plays "average" when it's home and other teams play worse than their average (awe of the banners?) ...when UCONN is away, the other team plays better than their average (UCONN has the target on their back?) - which would then total out to an about average HFA?

Interesting. Can't just focus on one team in any stat analysis. Good point.

Reaction Score

\

Your statistical proof---Houston, Md, Kansas St., Tulsa, Tulane, Temple etc---there are more.
The team has made comments after playing in a hostile atmosphere---"we feed off of the opponent's fans".

Reaction Score
Interesting. Can't just focus on one team in any stat analysis. Good point.

To this team, I would guess any team, it is not the statistics that some expert may interject---it is what they BELIEVE---and I for one, hope this team continues to BELIEVE they play better away from HOME.

Reaction Score
To this team, I would guess any team, it is not the statistics that some expert may interject---it is what they BELIEVE---and I for one, hope this team continues to BELIEVE they play better away from HOME.
Starting Feb 14 ?

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
They have done some great work on the road, ex. ND, Maryland. I like their mindset as expressed by Lou.

And they were pretty bad (per Geno) in the first half at Gampel against Baylor. But glad that game was at home, the atmosphere was electric and I would like to think it helped, whether by helping us or making things more difficult for Baylor. Very happy our last big remaining regular season test v. South Carolina is at Gampel.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Phil??, David?? You got some work to do.

Trisailin beat me to it.

I see that SC and DePaul have lower than average HCA. May be small sample size, though.

Reaction Score
Starting Feb 14 ?
At home they won't be fighting the crowd too---they'll have friendly faces who cheer them one and build up their courage and they want to excel at home.
I'm not worried about the 13th . The 14th they'll be really really enjoying the day off.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score

In her UCONN days Maya was quoted as saying she liked playing on the road, too, and that it put a little extra edge on her play

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
really impossible to come up with an answer for this that isn't based on guesswork. Teams play too few home and homes in a single year. What you can say is certain teams definitely struggle on the road, most teams do not win as easily on the road, and only a very few play almost identically on the road as at home.

I always think of the Massey number as being more about the 'other team' - UConn's home advantage really representing the average team playing 3.77 points worse on the road (eg. at UConn.) UConn really does seem to thrive in road environments.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'll make a point probably related to the point made by Trisailin – your HFA is conceptually comprised of your advantage relative to a neutral court and your opponents disadvantage relative to a neutral court, and those two components don't have to match. Similarly, you have an away court disadvantage and a home court advantage, and those two do not have to be the same.

I haven't fatigued out how to do the math yet.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'll make a point probably related to the point made by Trisailin – your HFA is conceptually comprised of your advantage relative to a neutral court and your opponents disadvantage relative to a neutral court, and those two components don't have to match. Similarly, you have an away court disadvantage and a home court advantage, and those two do not have to be the same.

I haven't fatigued out how to do the math yet.

Well, gosh, that none answer certainly fatigued the heck out of me! ;)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
My best guess is that UConn will be playing in the Championship Game against Baylor of Waco, Texas, about an hour and a half from final four site Dallas. Like an away game, although quite sure UConn fanbase will be well represented.

So, that gritty, accept the challenge on the road attitude will come in quite handy!

Reaction Score

No, the question is not where they win the most; it's where they have to play harder. That's in the minds of the players, not on a stat sheet.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No, the question is not where they win the most; it's where they have to play harder. That's in the minds of the players, not on a stat sheet.

"Who am I to disagree with Lou though." So ... No?... We agree! Scary thought huh.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom