Home Games in NYC? | The Boneyard

Home Games in NYC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed Benedict's note in interviews about possibly playing regular "home" Football games at MetLife or Yankee Stadium? I just read this in the NH Register's story about Big 12 and AAC Media Days-

Benedict, however, did address the possibility of playing “home” football games in New York which is another rumor picking up steam in recent days.

“There’s been work and some conversations,” Benedict said. “That is something that certainly we need to look at as an opportunity. The New York market is important to us in a lot of different ways. We have a lot of alums there and it is an opportunity to put ourselves on a national stage and attract opponents to play us in that type of environment that we might not be able to attract otherwise. We are aware of those opportunities, we’ve had conversations with the folks that potentially could partner with us to put some of those games on.”

Listen, I'd pretty much do anything to get into a P5 conference at this point, but first of all doesn't the State of Connecticut have some kind of rule on UConn playing "home" games outside of Rentschler Field because it was built using state tax payer dollars? That was the argument against us playing at the Meadowlands or Gillette Stadium when Michigan came to town in 2013- right? And, second, why the hell would the University of CONNECTICUT play a "home" game against anyone in NEW JERSEY???!!! I don't care if we're playing Ala-friggin-bama, we play our home games at The Rent. Period.

I know he was just trying to use the market to our advantage in his quote here (and I know we always love to talk about it and we need the NYC market, for media, etc.) but for him not to advocate for us playing here on our home turf, expanding the stadium (which can be done), and bolstering the fan base here in the state is kind of foolish IMO. Granted he's new here, and he's trying... I don't know abotu you guys- but I'd much rather be able to drive to The Rent, tailgate and enjoy a Saturday watching our boys win here in CT than drive/taking the train to NYC or New Jersey for a game.

Am I just blowing this out of proportion here? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Has anyone else noticed Benedict's note in interviews about possibly playing regular "home" Football games at MetLife or Yankee Stadium? I just read this in the NH Register's story about Big 12 and AAC Media Days-

Benedict, however, did address the possibility of playing “home” football games in New York which is another rumor picking up steam in recent days.

“There’s been work and some conversations,” Benedict said. “That is something that certainly we need to look at as an opportunity. The New York market is important to us in a lot of different ways. We have a lot of alums there and it is an opportunity to put ourselves on a national stage and attract opponents to play us in that type of environment that we might not be able to attract otherwise. We are aware of those opportunities, we’ve had conversations with the folks that potentially could partner with us to put some of those games on.”

Listen, I'd pretty much do anything to get into a P5 conference at this point, but first of all doesn't the State of Connecticut have some kind of rule on UConn playing "home" games outside of Rentschler Field because it was built using state tax payer dollars? That was the argument against us playing at the Meadowlands or Gillette Stadium when Michigan came to town in 2013- right? And, second, why the hell would the University of CONNECTICUT play a "home" game against anyone in NEW JERSEY???!!! I don't care if we're playing Ala-friggin-bama, we play our home games at The Rent. Period.

I know he was just trying to use the market to our advantage in his quote here (and I know we always love to talk about it and we need the NYC market, for media, etc.) but for him not to advocate for us playing here on our home turf, expanding the stadium (which can be done), and bolstering the fan base here in the state is kind of foolish IMO. Granted he's new here, and he's trying... I don't know abotu you guys- but I'd much rather be able to drive to The Rent, tailgate and enjoy a Saturday watching our boys win here in CT than drive/taking the train to NYC or New Jersey for a game.

Yes, you are blowing this out of proportion. First, he wasn't doing anything but talking. We've talked about this for over a decade and to this day have played a grand total of 0 home games anywhere but the Rent.

Second, we are in a desperate situation as to conferences, and anyone doing anything to get us in to one -- immediately or down the road -- has to be given leeway to do so. Yes, except for those few attendees who live closer to Foxboro or the Bronx or the Swamps, everyone would prefer being at the Rent. He knows that. But if he thinks playing the one game a year in a major stadium card -- whether it's as part of a conference deal or to build NYC market share -- just shut up and let him do it. If the cost of strengthening our position is one home game a year that is a 90 or 120 minute drive from the Rent, suck it up and deal with it. And just be glad management is trying.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think its just the sheer fact that we'd have a UConn "home" game in Mass or New Jersey that's killing me here, idk... I see the benefit though. If we can reel in a P5 conference deal with a NFL stadium "home" game deal once a year I'd drive to friggin Buffalo if we had to!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think its just the sheer fact that we'd have a UConn "home" game in Mass or New Jersey that's killing me here, idk... I see the benefit though. If we can reel in a P5 conference deal with a NFL stadium "home" game deal once a year I'd drive to friggin Buffalo if we had to!
It's all in how you package it, right? Make it the Big Apple Football Classic or some equivalent Start out by inviting Big 12 headliners OU and Texas and hype the heck out of it and everyone wins.

Trophy%20Cup%20421.jpg

Engrave this with the Manhattan skyline and package tour deals for the visiting teams. Make sure the visiting team gets a trip to the car wash. Entice NYC celebs with free tickets and comp their meals. Promote the heck out of it. Eventually it will become a a huge asset for us.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It's a part of B12 asking "would you play UT or OU at MetLife until your stadium is upgraded? Obviously the answer has to be yes to that question. Considering the crowds I've seen travel to NJ/NY/PA for the likes of Army, Rutgers and Temple I don't doubt us being able to get our 40k there and enough traveling fans/curious folks to fill it. I'd sure as $ h1 t be there.

Reaction Score
Sorry - Mt Vesuvious out of mole hill IMO. This has nothing to do w/ Benedict being new - smart move if it moves the needle in CR.

Also if I remember correctly -I believe one of the brokered resolutions to this issue when the ND scheduling debacle occurred was they can play a "home" game away from Rentschler Field if it was. 7th game (in other words - minimum of 6 home games in CT).

Out of pocket but will try to find that reference when I hit desktop.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Sorry - Mt Vesuvious out of mole hill IMO. This has nothing to do w/ Benedict being new - smart move if it moves the needle in CR.

Also if I remember correctly -I believe one of the brokered resolutions to this issue when the ND scheduling debacle occurred was they can play a "home" game away from Rentschler Field if it was. 7th game (in other words - minimum of 6 home games in CT).

Out of pocket but will try to find that reference when I hit desktop.
Exactly. If it's the 7th home game once of 2-3 years who the cares?! If the state/owners of the Rent scoff THEN EXPAND THE GD PLACE

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would play (and find my way to) annual home games on the moon if it meant getting us out of the AAC.

Seriously, one of our biggest assets in CR is our market reach. New York and Boston games should be sold to the B12. I would LOVE to play high profile games in both cities so that our alumni in each city has a chance to enjoy some live UConn sports. And c'mon, both cities are no more than a 90 minute ride and can be accessed by train or bus by just about anyone who lives in CT.

We had about 15K fans at Yankee Stadium a few years ago to watch CFB's worst two teams play each other. The potential is obviously there. If you play Texas or OU at Yankee Stadium, you can easily expect 25-30K (likely more).

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

Notre Dame plays home games at Fenway etc. I think they played Boston College "at home" in Fenway. I loved the UCONN-Army game at Yankee Stadium, even though UCONN lost and the Yankees suck (go Sox!)

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
im just curious but i wonder if playing at the yale bowl has ever been kicked around......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom