Home Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Home Game

Reaction Score
That’s largely a nice attempt at a reboot, though I’ll grant you the NU statewide aspect.

You actually said this:

I think the only people in the state who care about Creighton are people who went there; most other people, if they care about basketball in the first place, root for an Iowa or Kansas. And the people who didn’t go there and still like them ain’t showing up in droves to NY.

Tons of fans didn’t go there and attend NYC. A lot. I myself went to Nebraska-Omaha but have been a CU fan since I was in college there. You saying what you said is wrong, but you’re free to believe what you want.

And, other hoops ‘brands’ that aren’t local aren’t more or less popular here than they would be in Connecticut. There are indeed Iowa fans, but I’m sure there are PC fans living in eastern CT as well.

Good luck in the Dance.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Be happy to.

Creighton is mostly Omaha-centric. Nebraska (the university) is statewide, but specifically as if pertains to basketball, the support is Lincoln-centric; the lack of any sort of success makes most NU football fans from out-state only support the hoops program in a casual and perfunctory sort of way. So really it’s an Omaha vs Lincoln sort of setup, with the Lincoln faction absolutely hating the fact that there’s a decent chunk of our fans that root for them in football while hating them in basketball ( but that’s easily a minority of CU fans and I am not one of them).

KU and Iowa are both over 200 miles from Omaha. If you support one of those programs it’s because you have a connection of some sort to that state or school. Iowa State is probably as big or bigger in these parts but still small potatoes.

Creighton for the longest time hated NU and NU didn’t give a crap about how we felt because we weren’t worth considering in their estimation. Then they started to get aggravated after we put it on them for about 15 years, but they always came back with the fact that in the Valley we will always be the little school, and it’s inevitable that they will eclipse us again.

Then we got into the BE, it became clear to them that we were going to be really damn hard to dislodge, and open warfare started. I mean, look at Nebraskan18 on here, he’d rather drink molten lava than say a single good thing about us. That’s where the two of us are.

So there’s a few paragraphs about the state of hoops here. Most of the city is behind CU (the school isn’t big enough to attract 18k just on alums, the enrollment won’t support it), Lincoln supports their laughingstock, and we go from there.
You guys have been pretty successful in baseball too. Big East baseball is pretty much UConn and Creighton.

@Rocktheworld for better or worse, people in that area, whether Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa or Missouri are pretty big college basketball fans. They just are. There's a reason the Big 12 is successful at the sport. So I think BlueJay is saying that they've got a good sized city that has essentially adopted Creighton as its basketball team. Had NU ever managed to succeed at hoops, it probably wouldn't be that way. KC is split between KU, Missouri and somewhat K-State and Iowa or Iowa State (all five of which are in the tournament for example). But Omaha just has Creighton.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24
Top Bottom