Home-and-home series with Maryland and Texas announced | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Home-and-home series with Maryland and Texas announced

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
No, but how does that benefit the team???

Depends on the team as to whether getting beaten to death pushes you to improve or not.

It still doesn't surprise me that some teams would choose not to get pounded into oblivion once a year.

Reaction Score
Depends on the team as to whether getting beaten to death pushes you to improve or not.

It still doesn't surprise me that some teams would choose not to get pounded into oblivion once a year.
Ok...what ever... playing UCONN with a depleted roster gets a team a chance to win over the historically top program, but teaches the players little, and gives them and coaches a false sense of how good they are.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Cool thing about Husky Games site is you can watch great games from past years to fill in dead time between games.
It is a cool thing, something that I do more in the season than in the off season.
I have actually started a couple of threads asking BYers if they do watch replays and if so, do they have any games that they have watched over and over.
The threads went nowhere.
End of swerve.
I can understand why Geno is doing this and am sure that IF UConn enters the big dance with multiple losses that he will be satisfied and that each game has prepared the players to get to the NC game.

Reaction Score
It is a cool thing, something that I do more in the season than in the off season.
I have actually started a couple of threads asking BYers if they do watch replays and if so, do they have any games that they have watched over and over.
The threads went nowhere.
End of swerve.
I can understand why Geno is doing this and am sure that IF UConn enters the big dance with multiple losses that he will be satisfied and that each game has prepared the players to get to the NC game.
Well, to your "went no where thread" I watch the KLS Barf Game multiple times, also that years ND game and AAC Championship, to name a few. I dont rewatch losses. And I dont rewatch UCON vs Cal from last year even though a win, I dont like seeing KLS hurt the foot/ankle the way she did.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Ok...what ever... playing UCONN with a depleted roster gets a team a chance to win over the historically top program, but teaches the players little, and gives them and coaches a false sense of how good they are.

You seem to be arguing a point I wasn't trying to make. I simply said I'm not surprised.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Well, to your "went no where thread" I watch the KLS Barf Game multiple times, also that years ND game and AAC Championship, to name a few. I dont rewatch losses. And I dont rewatch UCON vs Cal from last year even though a win, I dont like seeing KLS hurt the foot/ankle the way she did.
Very good choices. I am of the same mindset concerning losses, Cal.
Favs: Lou's 10 for 10, the big 3's last NC game against Syracuse, last season's tournament game against St. Francis of PA. All ND, MD and South Carolina games.
Now back to the OP. :)

Reaction Score
Predict that UConn will still be competitive and a Top 10 team next year. May also help with Huskie recruiting since Geno seems to be looking all over US for talent.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The MD games against UConn are very welcomed from our prospective. A loss to UConn would be better learning than 99% of our other OOC games. Who knows, MD may just win one, we will have more comparable talent than in the past. They are 0-7 so far, but I have seen some of those games that were very competitive.
The game in NYC was VERY competitive. The barf bag game in College Park was competitive if judged by the final score.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The last two sentences are a little confusing to me. UConn has three #1 recruits, another three top 5 recruits on its team now, which are so much higher rated recruits than any other team. And they will have two #1 recruits and another two top 5 recruits on their team next year, again more higher recruits than any other team and Geno says that they don’t have enough of them right now. How many top recruits do you need?
We like to get 2 or more elite recruits per year. We have 1 elite junior, 1 elite sophomore, 2 elite freshmen, and 0 or 1 elite 2019 recruit. Geno would have preferred to add players like Cox, Collier, Boston, Horston, and Jones to the mix.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Predict that UConn will still be competitive and a Top 10 team next year. May also help with Huskie recruiting since Geno seems to be looking all over US for talent.
I think he's even looking beyond the U.S.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some quotes from Geno in Carl Adamec's story on the Maryland and Texas series;

“Our schedules keep getting tougher, tougher, and tougher, and they’ve been among the toughest over the last 10-15 years,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said Wednesday after his team blasted East Carolina 118-55 at the XL Center. “I don’t know if people around the country sense ‘This is the right time to get them,’ but it seems like there’s no one that we’re not playing. It’s incredible.

“You can’t play every top 10 team in the country and then go, ‘We’re going to be 40-0 every year.’ I know they used to happen but that’s the new world we’re in. We’re not going to stop playing them because things have changed a little bit. How long do you think it’s going to take for us to start signing the kind of players we’ve had in the past? We don’t have enough of them right now, but we will.”

Maryland, Texas back on UConn women's schedule
A few takes on this:

--Geno schedules to test his team and prepare for March. He doesn't shy away from challenges.

--He is trying to take away the recruiting argument made by other coaches about the weakness of the AAC.

--In scheduling Texas and Maryland, he's going into the talent-rich Lone Star State, and playing where major recruiting targets Gusters and Fudd will likely attend.

--Geno is optimistic. If you are concerned about recruiting problems, consider this year a lull. He fully intends to load up on the best UConn-type players he can find anywhere in the world. He still has the best staff in WCBB.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

On that point, do you think that Mississippi State's 98-38 loss to UConn in 2016 was a major contributor to its success since then, including against UConn?

And when are Vic and Geno going to schedule a regular season series?

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
On that point, do you think that Mississippi State's 98-38 loss to UConn in 2016 was a major contributor to its success since then, including against UConn?

And when are Vic and Geno going to schedule a regular season series?

Question 2 first. I hope it happens soon. No idea if it will, but it would be a great series and good for MSU in many ways.

Yes to an extent on Question 1, Vic acknowledged as much in 2017. I think what was even more important was that it made Vic realize his teams had to get much better offensively to compete with the best teams. Geno taught him that.

Reaction Score
Is UCONN-South Carolina game locked in already for next year or still to be finalized?

Reaction Score
Is UCONN-South Carolina game locked in already for next year or still to be finalized?

Yes they will return to Columbia for the last game of the series. It would need to be renewed after next year though. Dawn said she is sure that it will but UCONN wanted to make sure they could fit in Maryland and Texas first.

Reaction Score
Yes they will return to Columbia for the last game of the series. It would need to be renewed after next year though. Dawn said she is sure that it will but UCONN wanted to make sure they could fit in Maryland and Texas first.

My favorite thing about Staley's program is that she schedules without any fear.

Starting off rough this season was painful, but ultimately it had no downside.

Too many coaches/programs are afraid of getting beat.

Reaction Score

Has he ruled out foreign players?

Reaction Score
I am glad to see the series renewed for purely selfish reasons. I only have to travel to College Park to see the Huskies. I would love to see a series with West Virginia as well, but I doubt that will happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom