Home-and-home series with Maryland and Texas announced | The Boneyard

Home-and-home series with Maryland and Texas announced

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The UConn women’s basketball team has added two more non-conference games to its 2020-21 schedule, agreeing to game with both Texas and Maryland recently.

It was confirmed on Thursday that UConn will play Texas and Maryland at home in the 2020-21 season, then play both on the road in 2021-22.

UConn already has plans to play Baylor and Virginia in 2020-21, Oregon in 2021-22 and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock both seasons.

UConn women schedule home-and-home with Texas, Maryland - Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
The UConn women’s basketball team has added two more non-conference games to its 2020-21 schedule, agreeing to game with both Texas and Maryland recently.

It was confirmed on Thursday that UConn will play Texas and Maryland at home in the 2020-21 season, then play both on the road in 2021-22.

UConn already has plans to play Baylor and Virginia in 2020-21, Oregon in 2021-22 and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock both seasons.

UConn women schedule home-and-home with Texas, Maryland - Hartford Courant

I wonder if those teams would have scheduled those games if UConn was assured of being as strong as usual...............

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder if those teams would have scheduled those games if UConn was assured of being as strong as usual.....
Probably not. A few teams famously dropped UCONN when we were pounding them into oblivion, but now are eager to play us.

Reaction Score
Probably not. A few teams famously dropped UCONN when we were pounding them into oblivion, but now are eager to play us.

well come to think of it Texas did schedule UConn recently but other then a charity game at MSG a few years ago I don't remember when Maryland played UConn last.............

Reaction Score
UCONN vs MD in 2016 (??)... at MD with 18,000 fans... the infamous KLS Barf Game.

just looked it up they played in the 2015 and 2017 seasons.............don't know why those games aren't memorable to me..............

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
just looked it up they played in the 2015 and 2017 seasons...don't know why those games aren't memorable to me....
2016 and 2017 seasons were the last two times they played.

Maybe you're a little too worried about recruiting for future seasons to actually enjoy the current one?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some quotes from Geno in Carl Adamec's story on the Maryland and Texas series;

“Our schedules keep getting tougher, tougher, and tougher, and they’ve been among the toughest over the last 10-15 years,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said Wednesday after his team blasted East Carolina 118-55 at the XL Center. “I don’t know if people around the country sense ‘This is the right time to get them,’ but it seems like there’s no one that we’re not playing. It’s incredible.

“You can’t play every top 10 team in the country and then go, ‘We’re going to be 40-0 every year.’ I know they used to happen but that’s the new world we’re in. We’re not going to stop playing them because things have changed a little bit. How long do you think it’s going to take for us to start signing the kind of players we’ve had in the past? We don’t have enough of them right now, but we will.”

Maryland, Texas back on UConn women's schedule

Reaction Score
UCONN vs MD in 2016 (??)... at MD with 18,000 fans... the infamous KLS Barf Game.
just looked it up they played in the 2015 and 2017 seasons...don't know why those games aren't memorable to me....
@Charliebball , the December 2016 game ('16-'17 season) was particularly good, UCONN was #1, Maryland was #4. Game was on ESPN (maybe ESPN-2) broadcast nationally. there were 18,000 crazed MD fans in the stands. Geno and Lou both had flu. Geno sounded terrible during interviews. Lou actually got subbed out during a foul shooting evolution early in 1st quarter, barfed into a bucket behind the UCONN bench. She returned to play soon afterward, and from what I recall never left the court again. She took over the 2nd half and was a major part of UCONN's win. This was one of those signature games for Lou in her soph season and showed how she would become a key element of UCONN. Another poster mentioned Saniya hitting a 3 from the corner late in those games... the 2015-2016 season at MSG, she hit a key 3 from the corner to seal that one, and in the 16-17 season at MD, she hit another one late in the game and had a key block of an MD shooter's 3 attempt late in the game to help close that one out. HOW can you not remember those games???:);):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I just hope we have some recruits by then... I try not to get down... but we will need a big recruiting class next year.

Reaction Score
Some quotes from Geno in Carl Adamec's story on the Maryland and Texas series;

“Our schedules keep getting tougher, tougher, and tougher, and they’ve been among the toughest over the last 10-15 years,” UConn coach Geno Auriemma said Wednesday after his team blasted East Carolina 118-55 at the XL Center. “I don’t know if people around the country sense ‘This is the right time to get them,’ but it seems like there’s no one that we’re not playing. It’s incredible.

“You can’t play every top 10 team in the country and then go, ‘We’re going to be 40-0 every year.’ I know they used to happen but that’s the new world we’re in. We’re not going to stop playing them because things have changed a little bit. How long do you think it’s going to take for us to start signing the kind of players we’ve had in the past? We don’t have enough of them right now, but we will.”

The last two sentences are a little confusing to me. UConn has three #1 recruits, another three top 5 recruits on its team now, which are so much higher rated recruits than any other team. And they will have two #1 recruits and another two top 5 recruits on their team next year, again more higher recruits than any other team and Geno says that they don’t have enough of them right now. How many top recruits do you need?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The last two sentences are a little confusing to me. UConn has three #1 recruits, another three top 5 recruits on its team now, which are so much higher rated recruits than any other team. And they will have two #1 recruits and another two top 5 recruits on their team next year, again more higher recruits than any other team and Geno says that they don’t have enough of them right now. How many top recruits do you need?

When you have a massive dropoff after the top players it makes a difference. There's no depth or size, the things that hurt them against Baylor and Louisville.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
You are forgetting that UConn did play Maryland in the 2017-2018 season at the XL Center on November 19, 2017. UConn led 32-11 after one and coasted to a 97-72 win. Six players in double figures with Kia leading the way, 21 points. Gabby had a forgettable triple double, 15 points, 11 rebounds and 10 turnovers.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Ah yes, the famous "Barf" game. Dec 29, 2016 @ Maryland. Lou played well in that game, pouring in 23 points.
"Samuelson was so ill :confused: before the game, Auriemma said he wouldn't have been surprised if she didn't play. Not only did the 6-foot-3 sophomore start, but she logged 29 minutes and drilled four shots from beyond the arc."

[Recap]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
@Charliebball , the December 2016 game ('16-'17 season) was particularly good, UCONN was #1, Maryland was #4. Game was on ESPN (maybe ESPN-2) broadcast nationally. there were 18,000 crazed MD fans in the stands. Geno and Lou both had flu. Geno sounded terrible during interviews. Lou actually got subbed out during a foul shooting evolution early in 1st quarter, barfed into a bucket behind the UCONN bench. She returned to play soon afterward, and from what I recall never left the court again. She took over the 2nd half and was a major part of UCONN's win. This was one of those signature games for Lou in her soph season and showed how she would become a key element of UCONN. Another poster mentioned Saniya hitting a 3 from the corner late in those games... the 2015-2016 season at MSG, she hit a key 3 from the corner to seal that one, and in the 16-17 season at MD, she hit another one late in the game and had a key block of an MD shooter's 3 attempt late in the game to help close that one out. HOW can you not remember those games???:);):rolleyes:

Now that you described it I do remember it...............I will readily admit that my memories of the majority of regular season games fade once the season is over and especially from year to year.......................... I definitely remember the game against Maryland at MSG because I attended it and it was a very competitive game...........

Reaction Score

those recruiting rankings are only impressive if the players play up to them...............................for next season only CD has done that so far.............

Reaction Score
. How long do you think it’s going to take for us to start signing the kind of players we’ve had in the past? We don’t have enough of them right now, but we will.”

I've recently noticed Geno discussing these upcoming recruiting classes with great confidence like he knows he's got his future players lined up.....................I really hope that's the case...............

Reaction Score
Now that you described it I do remember it.....I will readily admit that my memories of the majority of regular season games fade once the season is over and especially from year to year...... I definitely remember the game against Maryland at MSG because I attended it and it was a very competitive game......
Cool thing about Husky Games site is you can watch great games from past years to fill in dead time between games.

Reaction Score
You are forgetting that UConn did play Maryland in the 2017-2018 season at the XL Center on November 19, 2017. UConn led 32-11 after one and coasted to a 97-72 win. Six players in double figures with Kia leading the way, 21 points. Gabby had a forgettable triple double, 15 points, 11 rebounds and 10 turnovers.
You are right... and KLS was out with foot injury

Reaction Score
I think Uconn playing MD will help both teams strengthen their out of conference schedules, but helps MD more than Uconn. Geno always tries to schedule tough games.

Reaction Score
The MD games against UConn are very welcomed from our prospective. A loss to UConn would be better learning than 99% of our other OOC games. Who knows, MD may just win one, we will have more comparable talent than in the past. They are 0-7 so far, but I have seen some of those games that were very competitive.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score

Is that surprising?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom