Home and Home announced w/ Maryland Football (2024/2026) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Home and Home announced w/ Maryland Football (2024/2026)

Reaction Score
No P5 teams with 3-4 OOC games per year wants to play the same team regularly unless it's a rival. That is what makes playing an indy schedule so difficult besides getting games in Oct/Nov. A four game series would be a huge commitment for any school in a conference.

This is especially true for teams in The B1G who are saddled with 9 Conference Games. Most seasons you get one potentially interesting home and home and 2 total dog games. Penn State just wrapped up a 4 game series with our "rival" Pitt and it was at least 2 games too many IMO. Their AD cried about not having a longer series negotiated but never acknowledged that 1) The ACC plays 4 OOC Games not 3 like The B1G, and 2) Pitt gouges Penn State Fans by forcing them to buy season ticket packages in order to guarantee away game tickets. I would 100% prefer to play a H&H with Uconn before playing Pitt again in the next 30 years.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
A nice game against a regionally relevant school from the B1G, as others have already mentioned. A very positive move. One step closer to making a real go of it as an independent.

This is starting to look much more positive for UConn Athletics, folks...

Reaction Score
I love seeing these home/home announcements with teams we can get excited about. Then I realize these games are 5 and 7 years out, and at my age I could be dead by then. Kind of a buzzkill. :(

Hey, we can make it goal to be here to see these games. :)

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Even if we end up with a schedule made up of 50% ACC and B1G teams? I would disagree. You are who you associate with.
I hope that happens. I just see a never ending parade of schools like New Mexico State and Towson.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
To me it was a double edged sword. I absolutely believe the AAC has the chance to become a really good football conference. I also believe UConn fans never wanted to be part of that ride. That contradiction of conference improving while UConn fans remained apathetic would keep UConn as a bottom feeder.

So, while UConn as a lone wolf may be lower than the AAC's conference profile, I believe it will engage the UConn fanbase more than staying in AAC.
That's very possible.

But gone forever is the idea that the top 64 or 72 football schools will break away and UConn will be included.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
That's very possible.

But gone forever is the idea that the top 64 or 72 football schools will break away and UConn will be included.
Football is more likely to go extinct from CTE issues than the top 64 or 72 schools breakaway.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I love seeing these home/home announcements with teams we can get excited about. Then I realize these games are 5 and 7 years out, and at my age I could be dead by then. Kind of a buzzkill. :(
It’s why I try to avoid recruiting threads. Live for today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's very possible.

Don't think so. If they go they'll keep decent BB schools particularly if they are FBS. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Big East teams get an invite is we continue to stay nationally relevant.

Reaction Score
I guess I come down to being an independent doesn't give me enough. Being in AAC could root for Temple to beat Maryland, or UCF to beat Auburn in addition to hating Cincinnati and looking down at Memphis and wanting to finish ahead of lowly Tulane and ECU. Even seeing how many bowl games the league wins and complaining AAC isn't respected enough. Next year UConn goes 4-8 or 7-5 and beats a Duke or Indiana, so what. Will some random bowl need a team and pick UConn?
If you aren't ND being independent is not the way to go and it took extraordinary mismanagement to get UConn football here. Way to go Suzy.
Need a core of opponents that are trying to beat and beat out (as in conference mates).

Reaction Score
I guess I come down to being an independent doesn't give me enough. Being in AAC could root for Temple to beat Maryland, or UCF to beat Auburn in addition to hating Cincinnati and looking down at Memphis and wanting to finish ahead of lowly Tulane and ECU. Even seeing how many bowl games the league wins and complaining AAC isn't respected enough. Next year UConn goes 4-8 or 7-5 and beats a Duke or Indiana, so what. Will some random bowl need a team and pick UConn?
If you aren't ND being independent is not the way to go and it took extraordinary mismanagement to get UConn football here. Way to go Suzy.
Need a core of opponents that are trying to beat and beat out (as in conference mates).
Given UConn's current options, I couldn't disagree more. This was probably one of the smartest moves UConn has made in a long time. Not only is this a financial upgrade for UConn, future schedules (and coverage) will enhanced in all sports, including football (i.e., who will have regular local rivals, many of which will be P5)...and it clearly gives us the best chance to stay relevant in the long term. If we are decent in football, we will get bowl invites...likely as good or better than the AAC has been serving up lately.

Reaction Score
To me it was a double edged sword. I absolutely believe the AAC has the chance to become a really good football conference. I also believe UConn fans never wanted to be part of that ride. That contradiction of conference improving while UConn fans remained apathetic would keep UConn as a bottom feeder.

So, while UConn as a lone wolf may be lower than the AAC's conference profile, I believe it will engage the UConn fanbase more than staying in AAC.
The minute the AAC becomes a possible threat to the Big5 either they’d change the rules again or seek to destabilize it with one or two conferences expanding again. AAC will never get a fair shake which is why I’m good with Independence. It allows us a better shot at controlling our destiny .

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The minute the AAC becomes a possible threat to the Big5 either they’d change the rules again or seek to destabilize it with one or two conferences expanding again. AAC will never get a fair shake which is why I’m good with Independence. It allows us a better shot at controlling our destiny .

Yeah, it also has the added advantage of UConn showing its true worth/value independent of a boost from conference affiliation or a suppression if value due to conference affiliation.

Kinda like a conglomerate spinning off a business unit.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
last time we played at Maryland... we somehow ended up at Atlantic City after the game and from there I somehow ended up with a tattoo on my but. what a time. bring on 8/31/24.
Remember beating Maryland and Louisville on the road in the same year and still going 5-7? Peak Pasqualoni

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are there people who think this is a bad thing? That blows my mind.

This is a perfect match. A Big 10 team that is close and regionally relevant. This is exactly the kind of home and home scheduling we want to see. I only wish it was 8 game not 2.

Reaction Score
Maybe.

But to leave the AAC is not a step up. It’s not even a lateral move. It’s a step down in the world of college football.
Whatever. It was an interim solution that wasn't working. Time to try something else. We don't give up, at least not yet. This home and home is a step forward.

Reaction Score
If we win, we draw fans. Our low attendance has NOT been caused by the AAC.

It's our record.
Agreed. Casual fans make up 75% of the UConn base, and they are just not coming because of the record. Casual fans don't care one way of the other about who the opponent us unless it is a rival. I have actually been entertained by some teams I have never seen before. Kinda a curiosity.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

How...is that any different than what we are right now?

You get excited to finish ahead of ECU in 5th place in the American Athletic Conference's East Division?

Mike...is that you?

Reaction Score
Bingo!! The AAC will never be a player on the big stage as there is more of a financial benefit for the Power 5 to expand and kill the AAC than to allow the AAC to prosper. This is what the ACC did to the old Big East football schools by taking Miami, BC, Va Tech (nice try). Pitt, Syracuse (still not enough), and then Louisville (the final nail). The Big 12 could grab UCF and/or Cincy at any time just as they grabbed WVU. What would the AAC do then?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom