Holy Cross Message Board | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holy Cross Message Board

Reaction Score
Meh, for the most part they recognize the difference between the levels of football played by the two programs and understand that a victory is unlikely. I'd be somewhat optimistic if I was in their shoes. We didn't exactly light the world on fire last season.

Agreed, but when they mention the fact we have Edsall as something that helps their cause, I have to question their judgement.

Reaction Score
Maybe referring to pulling the scholarship offer.
Maybe.

I have no idea how that would play a role in our game. Seems like they are reaching.

We haven't been good. I wouldn't expect them to think they can't win. But some of the reasoning behind their confidence seems misplaced. If we still had Diaco, I'd argue they'd have a much better chance to win this game since we probably couldn't score more than 17-21 points on them.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Agreed, but when they mention the fact we have Edsall as something that helps their cause, I have to question their judgement.
They see his disaster in College Park.
Recent, as opposed to distant history. We will beat them by 20

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If they also mentioned we have had qb troubles, well we still do, until proven otherwise.

Reaction Score
"In our favor is Edsal is the opposing coach....he's already run afoul in his second go-round in Storrs. But be advised if UConn begins to pull away, he'll have no qualms about running up the score."

Not the brightest bunch.

Randy ran afoul at UConn? Would that moron please tell us when he ran afoul? Was it after the Fiesta Bowl? When we didn't like the way it was handled?

The only person who ran afoul with Randy was Hathaway...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They are referring to Corey and the ethics thing I imagine.

UConn ran up the score on Liberty and Murray State.

Reaction Score
As Holy Cross is the closest out-of-state Div 1 basketball program to Storrs, both UConn and the Crusaders had fairly competitive 60s and 70s teams, and Worcester born and raised ex-UConn coach/AD and Basketball Hall of Fame nominee Dee Rowe coached at Worcester Academy before being hired in Storrs, the 2 schools playing so many basketball games made some sense.

Ideally, HCRE2.0's Huskies pound Holy Cross early and often!
For 50 years HC was the only New England school to win the MBB national title, right? Then UConn won it. Not surprising UConn played HC a lot back in the day.

Reaction Score
As Holy Cross is the closest out-of-state Div 1 basketball program to Storrs, both UConn and the Crusaders had fairly competitive 60s and 70s teams, and Worcester born and raised ex-UConn coach/AD and Basketball Hall of Fame nominee Dee Rowe coached at Worcester Academy before being hired in Storrs, the 2 schools playing so many basketball games made some sense.

Ideally, HCRE2.0's Huskies pound Holy Cross early and often!
PC closer? Bryant Div 1 closer?

Reaction Score
There was some issue between UCONN and Providenxe going way back that kept the schools from playing for years. Holy Cross was the major program in the region and we were a regional power mainly with Ehode Island so it made sense to play them. On the football side things were not nearly as stratified as today. BC and Holy Cross were University division and we were college division but there was a lot of crossover. And Holy Cross was a good regional rivalry. Close, drew a fair number of Connecticut kids back in the 1950s-60s since there wasn't really a local Catholic school.

Reaction Score
Hey guys, a HC alumnus and frequent postah at Crossports here. Just wanted to give you guys some perspective on HC football and its current following.

HC is back to giving football scholarships (this is its 5th year in doing so) and a lot of upgrades are in the offing for the program (new indoor practice facility, upgrades in the schedules against FBS programs such as yourselves, BC, Navy, Syracuse etc etc It has been a long time coming (imo and many other HC followers) as HC football pretty much wallowed in near anonymity after it dropped football scholarships completely in 1991.

We are still in the "growing process" as we transition back into the scholarship world. We've had some great individual talent but depth continues to be a problem. One hurdle that is near impossible for a school like HC to jump is red-shirting (which we only allow due to medical reasons like this year's QB Peter Pujals for instance). This kind of puts us up against it when we play schools such as yourselves, strong CAA programs etc.

As for our message board/following, we have a pretty active board for the size of our school/level of football. Much of this is due to the fact that a lot of our postahs went to HC or followed HC when the fortunes of HC were bettah or we played at a higher level than we now currently do.

Anyway, just wanted to touch base with you guys here. Happy to answer any questions about HC football you might have (save for our strategy Thursday night :) ). I was at the last HC-UConn tilt in 1985....a dreary (for us) 22-2 loss in the rain at Storrs....hope to get to the Rent this Thursday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom