Holy Cross 2017 announced | The Boneyard

Holy Cross 2017 announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well we needed 1 FCS game (I guess) and this is at least a local team.

Reaction Score
What a way to build perception......keep loading the schedule with weak 1-aa/FCS teams.

I'd rather have a weak MAC/C-USA team.

Oh wait! We already have a schedule full of weak C-USA teams......my mistake!

Reaction Score
I don't mind this, we get a one-off home game from a (soon to be) FBS opponent. The only other 2017 non-conference is a P5 game (@ UVA) so you need a cupcake/home game at some point. Would love to see Tennessee back in there though.

Reaction Score
I don't mind this, we get a one-off home game from a (soon to be) FBS opponent. The only other 2017 non-conference is a P5 game (@ UVA) so you need a cupcake/home game at some point. Would love to see Tennessee back in there though.

The days of adding a cupcake should be long gone. If UCONN wants to become nationally relevant they need to consider 4 or 5 of the teams they play in the AAC as cupcakes. At this point we should be using all our OOC games to schedule as tough opponents as possible. Forget trying to get to 6 wins and all that. Put us on TV against big schools with big followings in big media markets all the time.........Holy cross? Holy Crap....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its obvious that UCONN was able to add Holy Cross because the remainder of the schedule will be B1G.
If that's the case then this game will never happen. Big Ten rules state that no tames are to be scheduled against FCS teams.

Reaction Score
You play 12 games, likely 4 non-conf. EVERY BCS school plays a 1AA school. Shutting them out, as Muschamp is advocating, is no differnt than the P5 saying they only want to play other P5s. Play a local 1AA team, we'll survive. The invite to a P5 is not contingent on our SOS - it clearly did not hurt Rutgers.

What we need to do is to win games, lots of them. Yes, we need to win big games and get quality opponents. We need to get to bowls, perenially. We need to sell out the stadium and announce plans to expand.

If we play a 1AA, we still have 3 other slots every year where we can agree to play anyone, anywhere - but a 1AA game gives every BCS program exactly what it needs - a tune-up, a chance to play 2d and 3d stringers, a chance to try things, a win. Yes, every decade there is an Appy State or Towson, but we need 10 win seasons, a few of them, and if playing a HC or Nova or Stony Brook gets us 10% of the way there, do it.

Reaction Score
The days of adding a cupcake should be long gone. If UCONN wants to become national relevant they need to consider 4 or 5 of the teams they place in the AAC as cupcakes. At this point we should be using all our OOC games to schedule as tough opponents as possible. Forget trying to get to 6 wins and all that. Put us on TV against big schools with big followings in big media markets all the time....Holy cross? Holy Crap....

I didn't say I love it but I understand the rationale. I'm sure we could load up on P5 games doing one offs or even 2-for-1's but long term there needs to be balance. HC & @UVA are fine for the start of the OOC, it will really come down to who the other 2 opponents are. If they are Indiana/Illinois/BYU/Boise caliber we'll be fine. If it is Buffalo/Western Michigan caliber I'll sing the chorus with you.

Reaction Score
You play 12 games, likely 4 non-conf. EVERY BCS school plays a 1AA school. Shutting them out, as Muschamp is advocating, is no differnt than the P5 saying they only want to play other P5s. Play a local 1AA team, we'll survive. The invite to a P5 is not contingent on our SOS - it clearly did not hurt Rutgers.

What we need to do is to win games, lots of them. Yes, we need to win big games and get quality opponents. We need to get to bowls, perenially. We need to sell out the stadium and announce plans to expand.

If we play a 1AA, we still have 3 other slots every year where we can agree to play anyone, anywhere - but a 1AA game gives every BCS program exactly what it needs - a tune-up, a chance to play 2d and 3d stringers, a chance to try things, a win. Yes, every decade there is an Appy State or Towson, but we need 10 win seasons, a few of them, and if playing a HC or Nova or Stony Brook gets us 10% of the way there, do it.

Actually there are 3 FBS Schools who have never played an FCS school: USC, UCLA, and Notre Dame

Reaction Score

Every P5 school has the ability to play a 1AA school because they get a boost in SOS during their conference schedule. UCONN however doesn't. 5 years ago, I didn't mind us playing a cupcake tune-up. Now does it matter if we play one now? If you UCONN goes 12-0 and doesn't get into a BCS game I'm gonna be pissed. However, realistically speaking does it matter perception wise whether or not we go 8-4 against all BCS level comp or 8-4 with one 1AA team. Probably not. But the more tv sets we are on, the higher quality teams we beat, the further we are willing to travel to play anybody anywhere, the better shot we have of jumping this AAC sinking ship. Holy Cross is an empty game and fulfills none of the needs on the agenda.

Reaction Score
This really sucks. There's not much more to say than that.

UConn has played "tune up" games for years. UMass, Rhode Island, Fordham to name a few. We even lost our tune up game last year to Towson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The days of adding a cupcake should be long gone. If UCONN wants to become nationally relevant they need to consider 4 or 5 of the teams they play in the AAC as cupcakes. At this point we should be using all our OOC games to schedule as tough opponents as possible. Forget trying to get to 6 wins and all that. Put us on TV against big schools with big followings in big media markets all the time....Holy cross? Holy Crap....

I hear you. Strength of schedule is important but so is a winning season as well as local North Eastern rivalries. Just think that BC and UCONN should be playing each other vs. Holy Cross. BC scheduled them for two games as well!
http://www.bcinterruption.com/2012/4/25/2969387/future-boston-college-football-scheduling-rules

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn has played "tune up" games for years. UMass, Rhode Island, Fordham to name a few. We even lost our tune up game last year to Towson.

UConn also used to be in a BCS Conference. If you want 20,000 people at the rent then this is a great get.

Reaction Score
UConn also used to be in a BCS Conference. If you want 20,000 people at the rent then this is a great get.

We also used to make bowls. We don't anymore. If Diaco does his job and wins some games leading up to 2017 than your statement will not be true.

Reaction Score
Way more. Don't underestimate UConn football fans. They know what's at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom