Holdsclaw at UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Holdsclaw at UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
The former Vols coach layed into her players, at times, either publicly or privately--one stays in the mind--Ace, who was chewed harshly prior to the UConn/Tn game in Philly--then Ace came up limp and could not be their point guard.
how many of the former players experienced depression due to her coaching?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
You doubled up on missing the point so I will explain it to you. It wasn't about CH. She gave all she had, a 4x All American, 3x National Champion. Yet when she didn't win a 4th her coach ripped her in public. I'm sure stwainfan remembers.
and that caused her depression?

stop, its looking childish

Reaction Score
One of the top 5 players of All-Time and one of my favorites! It is hard for someone to admit they have a problem but to be open and honest in the real world. What a courageous woman.

Reaction Score
how many of the former players experienced depression due to her coaching?
Because of Medical Privacy acts--there are no records of that--so we'll never truly know, will we??

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
You doubled up on missing the point so I will explain it to you. It wasn't about CH. She gave all she had, a 4x All American, 3x National Champion. Yet when she didn't win a 4th her coach ripped her in public. I'm sure stwainfan remembers.

From the NYT article on the game:

Tennessee finished the season with a 31-3 record and in tears. With 25 seconds left in the game, and Duke (28-6) ahead by 63-56, Summit took Holdsclaw out of the game for her to get the standing ovation that her four-year career richly deserved. And those standing included the Tennessee fans in Greensboro Coliseum. When Holdsclaw came to the bench, Summitt embraced her and the two stood there, Holdsclaw crying, for perhaps a full minute. For what remained of the game, Holdsclaw sat with a towel covering her face.

From an AP article:

"You have to keep things in perspective. As much as you'd like them to go out with a championship or a Final Four experience, you have to remind yourself, and in this case, them, of what a wonderful three, four years it's been."

"I thought Duke played loose, they payed with great intensity and confidence, and I think we came out tight, shots didn't fall for us. If you look at the stat sheet, they beat us in all the categories that in order to win a regional championship you have to win."

From the Washington Post:

"You can want something so much that sometimes you can't relax and go get it," Tennessee Coach Pat Summitt said. Holdsclaw, a three-time first-team all-American, made 2 of 18 shots and finished with eight points, tying her season low. She buried her face in her hands and wept on Summitt's shoulder when she left the game. Before leaving, Holdsclaw moved into third place on the NCAA all-time scoring list with 3,025 points.

I haven't found any accounts of Summitt ripping Holdsclaw. Can you provide a link?

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
From the NYT article on the game:

Tennessee finished the season with a 31-3 record and in tears. With 25 seconds left in the game, and Duke (28-6) ahead by 63-56, Summit took Holdsclaw out of the game for her to get the standing ovation that her four-year career richly deserved. And those standing included the Tennessee fans in Greensboro Coliseum. When Holdsclaw came to the bench, Summitt embraced her and the two stood there, Holdsclaw crying, for perhaps a full minute. For what remained of the game, Holdsclaw sat with a towel covering her face.

From an AP article:

"You have to keep things in perspective. As much as you'd like them to go out with a championship or a Final Four experience, you have to remind yourself, and in this case, them, of what a wonderful three, four years it's been."

"I thought Duke played loose, they payed with great intensity and confidence, and I think we came out tight, shots didn't fall for us. If you look at the stat sheet, they beat us in all the categories that in order to win a regional championship you have to win."

From the Washington Post:

"You can want something so much that sometimes you can't relax and go get it," Tennessee Coach Pat Summitt said. Holdsclaw, a three-time first-team all-American, made 2 of 18 shots and finished with eight points, tying her season low. She buried her face in her hands and wept on Summitt's shoulder when she left the game. Before leaving, Holdsclaw moved into third place on the NCAA all-time scoring list with 3,025 points.

I haven't found any accounts of Summitt ripping Holdsclaw. Can you provide a link?

Exactly what I remembered. Great moment in sports.

Reaction Score
Oh I thought you knew everything
Thank you---I don't know EVERYTHING--but I observed a lot and much was Tn. However my PHD isn't in Psychology or Medcine
My grandfather was a MD/{Psychologist) so I know everything about that---osmosis.
However , I have some former coworkers who could get those records if you need them--the price is high!!\
In today's world people and records can hide, but they will be found if the price is right. (I saw that on TV)

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
chamiquecover.jpg

Reaction Score
She is a very pretty women that has turned her life around. Everyday is a struggle and she now knows where to find help and support
God bless her and all the folks who suffer in silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom